Your best protein shake recipe please!

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by speedy, Jul 9, 2007.

1. missashleighjo

missashleighjo Member

I like dymatize elite fudge brownie and some walden farms caramel syrup. water and a few ice cubes. It's good. I think trutein is thicker though so I just use a few ice cubes to make it cold.

2. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

myofusion elite makes an awesome protein ice cream. I dont care for the trutein for that.

3. Amy1984

Amy1984 Member

Thank you Ileen! -- I made my first protein ice cream and I loved, loved, loved it! Volume! And it tasted so good. I made it with Isopure Chocolate Whey, about 3 cups crushed ice and 1 cup water, and 1/4 tsp xanthum gum. It was my first time buying or using xanthum gum and it really does make a difference. I saw Bob's Red Mill xanthum gum at the store for $17, sold in a bag. But since I knew I wouldn't need that much I looked around and ended up finding it at Winco in the bulk foods. I got a small bag of it that will probably give me at least 10 servings and only spent $1. I blended the ice and water together first and then added the protein and xanthum gum because I read somewhere doing it like this would help the protein not stick to the sides of my blender bottle. This worked. So delicious! I am already looking forward to my workout tomorrow just so I can follow it with one of these shakes.

4. Amy1984

Amy1984 Member

Okay I am obsessed with my PWO Protein Ice cream! It is soooo good! I remember reading in a post protein powder can be subbed for my Meal #5 greek yogurt that I eat at night and though I love my greek yogurt the blended protein is my absolute favorite. I thought that greek yogurt was a slower-digesting type of protein and that's why I ate it before bed. Is this true? And if so does that mean I probably shouldn't sub protein powder for it?

I have been blending my protein and ice with a small hand-held $20 Oster Single Blender (250-Watt). I got it as a gift before I realized how often I would actually be using it. Now that I know I use it 4x a week I wouldn't mind investing in something that works a little better. The Oster is great for the price but it leaves chunks of ice sometimes, especially on the end of the cup away from the blades. Any good blender recommendations? I don't need a big one since I only make one cup at a time.

Thanks for the suggestions!

5. lesliemirinda

lesliemirinda Member

I use a Ninja for my protein ice cream :)

6. Amy1984

Amy1984 Member

Thanks! I'll look into that! So far the only other one I've heard about is the Magic Bullet but want to compare a few before I go out and purchase one...they are kinda spendy.

7. Inatic

I have a reburbished blendtec i had gotten on Ebay. LOVE IT.

8. Emma

Emma Member

I need a new blender mine isn't up to the job of crushing ice. I did make some protein icecream recently, it was ok but the ice was too chunky.

I had it in a bowl with puffed corn cereal, good volume and pretty yummy, in spite of crappy half crushed ice, although my boyfriend said it looked like I was eating a bowl of spiders eggs.

9. Inatic

Emma do you have a crushed ice option from the dispenser? Machine doesnt have to work as hard. You need to adjust the ice to water ratio if switching.

10. Emma

Emma Member

My fridge isn't that fancy, I make cubes the old fashioned way. Next time I'll wrap them in a tea towel and give them a bash with my big heavy pestle to break them up a bit first.

11. Amy1984

Amy1984 Member

Emma that's what I do! I put my ice in a ziplock bag and smash it with my meat tenderizer :) What is puffed cereal? I remember Ileen talking about puffed corn cereal as a voluminous PWO option. I want to try it.

12. Emma

Emma Member

Pretty much is what it is, puffed corn cereal.

I'm in Australia and tend to find it with the mueslis or in the health food section, it's no added sugar or anything, just puffed corn. It's pretty bland on its own but mixed in with protein icecream which is sweet (artificially sweet but sweet none the less) that does not matter because you get heaps and it's nice and crunchy.

13. Inatic

Amy, the lowest i found for puffed type cereal was plain Kix or even Puffed Rice (but I'll warn ya, REALLY bland) neither are very crunchy.

I have also found, going into the baby food section, they have canisters of baby cereal/ treats. One can is usually a serving! I like the organic varieties.

14. Amy1984

Amy1984 Member

Thanks Ileen and Emma! Today I found puffed corn cereal in the "healthy/natural" section that had a picture of a Gorilla on the front...but when I read the ingredients and the nutrition label it didn't feel like the same stuff you guys were talking about so I decided not to. Ileen I'll check out baby section and if not try the kix with my protein ice cream -- great idea Emma! I've never been a huge fan of Kix, at least without a cup of sugar dumped on top :) but I think with some protein ice cream it might be delishhhhh! (;

15. Inatic

there is also a puffed wheat cereal that is 'crispier' than the rice but i avoid wheat (autoimmune thyroid disease) so i dont eat it

16. Amy1984

Amy1984 Member

I use to make my protein ice cream with Isopure Dutch Chocolate. But the last time I got protein powder I got MRM Whey Chocolate. I've been using that for a month or so and just got a new jug of Isopure Dutch Chocolate but now I don't like it! After using MRM Whey I notice the Isopure makes the ice cream all airy and fluffy. It's weird since they are both powders but I swear the isopure one makes the consistency different.

What's the best protein powder for protein ice cream specifically??? I did like the MRM Whey, but now I'm open to try other tried-and-true PPs other PP Ice Cream lovers use. I'm not using the Isopure one anymore...it will be used for oatmeal recipes only! ewwk

17. Inatic

my protein ice cream is natural so I have to play with it a bit. Its always a song and dance to get it right. That said, it makes great protein brownies.

I have to say myofusion makes awesome protein ice cream but i havent really experimented with many powders. I used to use Whey Gourmet which was good. Myfo and then went natural and stayed there.

18. Amy1984

Amy1984 Member

Thanks! I'll check those brands out!

19. Amy1984

Amy1984 Member

My boyfriend came home with a huge tub of Chocolate Optimum Nutrition 100% Why Gold Standard for me. It was so sweet of him to go buy me some, but I'm so picky that I was a little nervous I wouldn't like it and would hurt his feelings. So of course I tested it by making myself protein ice cream in place of my greek yogurt. Results are in: DELISH! Much better than my isopure! Happy girl.

20. Arajkowski

Arajkowski Active Member

Gaspari's myo elite PB Cookie is a favorite of a lot of my accounts. Their isofusion orange is awesome! If you mix it and freeze it, it tastes like an orange creamsicle. Elite gourmet is a top seller, protizyme by metabolic, OhYeah by ISS tastes phenomenal (on the sweet side).. If anyone is looking for a good plant based protein or vegan with fruits/veggies complex - Vegan1 by Nutrition 53 is great! It's made with white potato instead of rice so the texture is smoother ...everyone likes the chai.