Xanthan Gum Question?

Discussion in 'Diet, Nutrition and Supplements' started by Amy1984, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Amy1984

Amy1984 Member

I use about 1/4 tsp xanthan gum to thicken up my protein ice cream or egg white/oatmeal muffins. I love this stuff but it makes me really gassy and bloated feeling. Does anyone know something that I can take to eliminate that and/or a thickening agent I could try that doesn't cause gas and bloat? I'm sure there is no solution to the problem and if I had to pick between creamy thick protein ice cream and gas I choose gas :)

2. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

Some guar some can't hum but might not help.

3. OneMadMonkey

OneMadMonkey Well-Known Member

I don't know if it will help, but I take enzymes with all my meals. They help to break down food.

4. I know I have been MIA, but I literally just threw out my guar and xanthan gum two nights ago because as much as I LOVE the volume and the idea of eating "ice cream" daily, my stomach was so uncomfortable I could not get up off the couch! I was literally crying:( Also, had purchased a Ninja then exchanged it for a Blendtec solely for this ice cream and literally just returned it:( I f'ing love ice cream, food, volume, you name it but that shit was like stretching out my stomach to the point I was so uncomfortable and didn't want to take off my shirt and whatnot… :( Over PP ice cream now since I tried it last night one last time without either gum and just casein, SF/FF Pudding mix and dash of salt - came out like a watered down slush. Haha but I just got back $400 from that damn blendtec so it's not all bad:) And I still love PP mixed with pudding mix or just added to recipes -- pancakes etc. AND just received the new casein flavor from Universal Nutrition - YUM! Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana:)

5. Amy1984

Amy1984 Member

I'm thinking I might have to take a break from my beloved PP Ice Cream. My stomach does not like that stuff...guess I could try it without it, but I'm sure I'll be disappointed. ):

6. Fay

Fay Well-Known Member

I never use the gums in my ice cream and I like it fine. I use a little sf salted caramel syrup to ad some yumminess.