Xantham gum?

Discussion in 'Diet, Nutrition and Supplements' started by kirstny, Jan 15, 2009.

1. kirstny

kirstny Well-Known Member

I'm thinking about getting it to really thicken up my pp shakes...

But it has cals in it!
    :icanthearyou:

How do you count it? Or do you?

Or, does anyone suggest something else? I want the pp shakes thick so it's almost (almost) like ice cream (but I can't do dairy).

Thanks!

2. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

It's just fiber cals, i use it all the time. It's okayed by ERik.

3. kirstny

So, you can do your usual shake and just add it?

4. Inatic

yep. that is how i make mine.. ALways as pro ice cream (made with water, ice, and xanthum gum.. sometimes i add choc stevia if the flavor is weak.

5. wanttobefit

wanttobefit Work In Progress

Where the heck do you buy Xantham Gum at? I was at the grocery store this morning and looked in the baking aisle and the spice aisle and could not find it????

6. Inatic

try the organic section or HFS type store

7. wanttobefit

Great, thank you.

8. Sohee

Sohee working on the bikini body

WholeFoods also carries it.
    Guar gum is good, too-- and it's a lot cheaper.

9. wanttobefit

Thanks for that idea.!!!

10. kirstny

11. Inatic

i didnt find it thickens as well.

12. kirstny

13. Inatic

that is it.

:)

14. Sohee

Sohee working on the bikini body

I've never tried it, but I've heard good things about it.
    I think I'll try it out next time just because it's cheaper.

15. Inatic

Most protein powders use xanthum gum.. might be a connection.

Let us know how you liked it. :)

16. Petro

Petro Well-Known Member

Just a note:

I'm not a fan of gums of any type and especially for those of you who have issues with bloating (ehhm...Sohee) it is probably something to be wary of

The very chemistry of what constitutes a gum is because the structure of the carbohydrates is such that it forms a latticework that confers on it a sticky-like, glue-like consistency. If you look at a diagram of the amylopectin molecule (google or wiki it) you can see this latticework. At the point of the branches in the molecule is a chemical link called alpha 1-6 isomaltose which we cannot digest (cannot break two glucose molecules attached with that link). Basic physiology would suggest that since we cannot digest it, it naturally moves down to the lower small intestine and colon as isomaltose where it would sit as fodder for whatever micro-organism might want to munch on it, thus causing bloating and other types of stomach distress

just my two cents...I avoid gums at all costs

17. Inatic

Love when you chime in.. :D

is that the same for molecules in fibrous foods like say oats? (or am i mixing it up) that dont get digested?

18. Petro

Petro Well-Known Member

Yes and no....starches are all made up of a mixture of amylopectin and amylose (75/25 respectively), these molecules are difficult to breakdown but can be made into simpler monosaccharides which can be digested (the is why we cook oatmeal, soak overnight, also why sprouted grains are easier to digest...alll these methods bread down the starch into easier digested units)

Gums...let us remember are not natural...sure all starch contains some gum components but when you add a 'gum' to something you are taking something that maybe found in natural foods in small amounts and supersizing the amount you take it...taking an isolated gum and adding it to something is akin to using high fructose corn syrup....sure fructose is found naturally in foods but not as in as high of a concentration.

Gums are specifically made to not break down...this is why they have such remarkable viscosity and do exactly what the do

so even though gums and starches have some of the same molecular componets they digest very differently

19. Inatic

soooooooooo is there anything you'd put in the shake that would thicken it and not have the adverse 'gum' effects?

20. Petro

Petro Well-Known Member

Less liquid:lol: