Xantham Gum and WF stuff and calories

Discussion in 'Diet, Nutrition and Supplements' started by Scarl3tbutt3rfly, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Scarl3tbutt3rfly

Scarl3tbutt3rfly Motivated and ready!!

Curious question. So alot of people have talked of adding Xantham gum to thicken stuff, from shakes, ice cream, COR, etc. I was going to buy some the other day, but noticed it has calories. Do you not count these cals, or are people adding them. I think I was looking at the Redmill Brand, which has 30calories per TBS. All of the carbs look like it is fiber. I decided against getting it, as I decided the thickening wasn't worth the extra cals for me. But I actually never thought it had cals. So was kinda shocked to see this.

On another note, what are people's thoughts on the WF stuff having calories. Looking at the ingredients on the back, it has to have some. I mean there is xantham gum, cocoa powder, etc in some of it. Just curious. I know the label says zero, in some ways I always assume something might have close to 5, as I think they can say 0 if it is less than 5. I have been using WF stuff, but just trying not to use too much. I mostly stick to salad dressing. And occasional pancake syrup. Discuss! I have just been fearful of adding 10cals here and 5 cals there kinda thing. So peace of mind has me using nothing! LOL

http://www.bobsredmill.com/xanthan-gum.html

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  2. Girly2012

Girly2012 New Member

Hi, I'm new. Today is the first workout day for me. You look awesome! What is Xantham gum and where do you find it in the grocery store? or GNC? Egg whites are in my plan and I was wondering if you knew how I could liven it up?

3. Scarl3tbutt3rfly

Thank you!!

There is an egg white thread in the diet section that might give you some ideas. I'm using forum runner or I would link to it for you.

Xanthan gum is a thickener. Can be added to lots of different things.

4. Little1

Little1 Member

Great questions! I don't know the answers but would love to follow this thread to find out

5. ncfarris26

ncfarris26 Nicole

Xantham gum is 30 cal a tablespoon but you will never use that much! Trust me a little itty bitty pinch is about all it takes, like 1/8 teaspoon or less. If you use too much it's slimy. :lol: And yes it's like soluble fiber.

WF technically aren't zero but you're right if it's less than 5 cals they can say calorie free. I think if you just use it in moderation you'll be fine. For example, I would always just use a little pancake syrup for m1. As long as you aren't dousing every meal in WF products it shouldn't be a big deal, IMO. :p

6. ncfarris26

ncfarris26 Nicole

You can find xantham gum in the baking aisle or gluten free section.

7. Scarl3tbutt3rfly

Thank you! I was looking at the recipes the other day and saw that people were only adding at most 1/2 tsp…which being all fiber would probably be like 2.5 calories. I may get some and try it out. I use the WF stuff, but am just curious and trying to be careful not to use TOO much. TY again!! :)

8. Crystal

Crystal Member

just curious, as i just bought my first bag of Xantham gum last night from kroger's in the organic section is this ok to use adding it in post workout shake or shake before bed ? what brand of protein powder do u like to use ? i to use the WF syrups, i add some pancake syrups in my egg whites in the am, sometimes use the honey djion dressing too

9. KellyH

KellyH New Member

I love the xanthum gum to thicken my protein to make a pudding consistency at bedtime. Imusevthe Beverly international protein and I love it.

10. Crystal

Crystal Member

is it ok to add to post workout shakes as well as before bedtime? beverly proteins are great aren't they! do u use them post workout as well ?

11. patti

patti Active Member

Hi Crystal!
    I use the xantham in my last meal before bedtime - I make 'ice cream' from either yogurt or cottage cheese, PP, stevia, crushed ice and I'm allowed 15g peanut butter. Add in only about 1/4 tsp, and it blends up like a soft serve ice cream :yum:

If you're not used to it, you may want to start with even less. It definitely makes a smoother, almost fluffy consistency of the food, but it can also make some...er, :fart: gassy! It's part of a bacterium, and sometimes it can REALLY cause bloating.

Enjoy playing with your food! :hehe:

12. Crystal

Crystal Member

hey thanks the tip, ill definitely play around with it and see how i do, do u think once u get used to using it the bloatness/gas would go away ?

13. patti

patti Active Member

My guess is that the bloating will subside if you don't overdo. It would seem to me that it would be like anything new that might change the gut flora - like yogurt, sugar alcohols, or even lactose (for those who are "intolerant") that to start gradually is best.

I read an article recently on the latter (lactose intolerance) that said most who avoid milk products b/c they suspect an intolerance to lactose, can/should actually consume small amounts once or twice a day, and the gut will begin to build up the enzymes it needs to digest the lactose...thought that was interesting.

14. phippengr8

phippengr8 Member

That is very interesting acutally. :)

15. Crystal

Crystal Member

not sure if i used enough xanthum gum with my myofusion shake today, i used about less then half tsp, maybe i used to much water about a cup or to much ice, but it made a lot so much i had to put in a bowl and eat, lol, but just not super thick like i like, any tips or suggestions on how much water to use when using the xanthum gum

16. patti

patti Active Member

Hmmm...I don't know if there's a "rule" for how much water:xanthan.
    I'll bet I know who does, though. That would be....Ileen, our very own, marvelous & brilliant LBC Goddess! Maybe she'll have an answer

When I make a myo PP shake with my fruit serving mid-morning, I add almost a cup of crushed ice, about 1/2 cup water, and 160g strawberries. I don't even use xanthan for that and it blends up like a super thick milk shake- I do like things really cold and thick :yum:
    (I also put this mixture in my Tervis Tumbler - an insulated cup - and pop it in my cooler. It has stayed nice and thick and cold for an hour or more! It FILLS my 24 oz tumbler PLUS an additional cup-sized container which I use a spoon to eat it from! It's all about V-O-L-U-M-E Baby!! :p)

When I make my last "ice cream" meal which has a serving of cottage cheese, 1/2 scoop PP, and peanut butter, I use about the same - about 1/2 cup water, cup or more of ice, some stevia and only about 1/4 teaspoon xanthan. For some reason, this concoction mixes up fluffier.

If I were you, try without the xanthan and use plenty of ice. And you'll find a blender works best.

Let me know what you think!

17. Scarl3tbutt3rfly

It sometimes takes a little playing around. I'd use less water and more ice. I mix the water and protein powder first and get it only a little runny then add ice. This also depends on how strong your blender is with blending ice also. I at most use 1/2 tsp of xanthan, I have tried as little as 1/4..seems maybe a bit better with 1/2..

18. Erik

Erik Admin

:lol:

19. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

I get a HUGE pitcher full of thick goodness when i use the blendtec. :piggie:

Like mentioned, play with the ratio of water/ice..