Writer's Block / Creativity

Discussion in 'Mindless Banter' started by Erik, Dec 5, 2007.

1. Erik

Erik Admin

Thanks again.

I'll have to put all this into practice tomorrow as my sprinting article is due on Friday. :lol:

I know all the information in my head, so it technically shouldn't be THAT hard, but ... I seem to make it THAT hard. :dry:

2. mackie

mackie With my hero, Brigitte Gabriel

That's because its all still in your head. Give your head a break. Write it down.

3. Fitwolf

Fitwolf Esta mi!

4. Erik

Erik Admin

I'm at 1286 of a required 1500.

:woohoo:

Needs to be cleaned up though. Only 200 more words left to go, but with 1000 words of information to type. :lol:

5. donnajo

donnajo Feeling Strong!

I think you write well. But, have you maybe thought of taking a writing course at your local college or something. Maybe one of those adult continuing ed. classes they offer. It might help with ideas for writers block and exercises and techniques you could use.

Funny you asked this question because I was thinking last night I always wanted to write but feel I am terrible at it and thought of taking one of these classes. My dream would be to write some short stories some day and have them published.

6. Ali

Ali Senior Member

Without reading the rest....

Keep a notebook. Whenever an idea or thought pops into your head, write it down. This happens to me at odd times, and often if I don't write it down, the thought is gone.

Write as if you are talking...just start writing (typing) stuff down. Let it flow, and then go back and formalize it and fix it later. Just try to get the thought process going and worry about semantics and how you want to present it later.

Talk with others about the topic.

7. Erik

Erik Admin

:lol:

Perhaps a good idea, but I have absolutely no time to start taking classes again.

And they'd make me write even more than I want to. :lol:

I hate writing.

8. Ali

Ali Senior Member

Sprinting? :uhuh:

:yayconfetti:

I have been trying to sell this to people lately. Sprinting is teh good.

9. Erik

Erik Admin

This is what I've been doing. Works ok for me.

10. Erik

Erik Admin

Well, intervals vs SS for fat loss.

So basically, yes.

Almost done.

11. mackie

:thumb: :thumb:

12. Erik

Erik Admin

Feedback from Editor-in-Chief

Article was very well done. They're happy with it.

:D

13. mackie

Congrats!

14. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

15. Erik

Erik Admin

:bump:

So this article was very well received. Probably from my understanding will end up in two different magazines.

I just got asked to write another one - with the topic being entirely up to me. I prefer to be given a topic rather than come up with my own (owing to my dismal lack of creativity).

Any ideas? Mags are geared towards bodybuilding.

16. rogmel

rogmel back in the game!

I used to tell my students this same thing all of the time......

my mantra was: you cant write anything until you write something........a blank piece of paper provides you no motivtion or ideas....but once you at least get writing on the paper....it seems to spawn other ideas......

you can always go back and organize the info later!!

no one ever writes the perfect organized final draft the first go round.......

17. Lyn

Lyn 2nd String Bench Warmer

:yayconfetti::yayconfetti:

18. Clueless

Clueless New Member

Honestly, anyone who does it well probably doesn't enjoy the process.

Here are Mark Twain’s Rules of Writing from Dan Simmons' website. Scroll down to the gray box -- of course the fiction stuff won't apply -- but then scroll down further to the 'little rules'.

There's a book called Art Fear that is a) a hysterical read and b)very good at helping you cut through all that perfectionist/am I good enough thinking? I highly recommend it if you're 'stuck'.
    from Art & Fear by David Bayles & Ted Orland

19. RpH

RpH I'm actually educated

I have 2 or 3 articles published a year. Any more than that and the tax man makes it not worth my time. My articles vary from 2000 to 2500 words and it really helps if I have an outline. They sometime involve interviews with individuals and I can write directly from my notes marking out each item as it's written. I try to include personal experience in every article because that is good "filler" and increases my word count. Articles with subtopics or bullet format have been catching on and seem to be easier to write.
    Anyone in Alabama can see my latest article (and a big picture) in this month's issue of Alabama Outdoor News, page 8.

20. mackie

:yeahthat:
    Congratulations!!! :shakeithappy: That's awesome!!!

hmmm... your choice of topic, huh? Is there a fitness-related question, that you get asked a lot, that you'd like to answer once & for all? Perhaps you could turn that into an article. Or maybe there's a pet peeve myth, that you frequently see in magazines , you'd like to address/dispel?

I'm sure you'll come up with something good.