Would like to build muscle; need nutrition advice

Discussion in 'Beginner Training & Nutrition' started by glittergal, Mar 6, 2012.

1. glittergal

glittergal New Member

Hi all,
    I would like some nutrition advice.
    I am currently 5'6", 130 pounds, age 41. I just lost about 15 pounds over 6 months; I think mostly fat, but some muscle, too.
    My goal now is to build muscle.
    I need some advice on how to change my eating.
    How do I calculate my caloric and macronutrient requirements?
    As someone who has been spending much of her adult life focusing on the scale, and thinking about creating calorie deficits, this is a huge shift for me, so I admit I have some fear about increasing calories above maintenance level. And, I realize I will gain some fat with this, but want to know how to effectively gain muscle over fat.
    I looked around for links here, but most everything in the newbie section seems to be about fat loss.
    Thanks!

2. Amy

Amy Just say no to CANDY!!!

Have you gone to maintenance yet?

I would suggest going to maintenance for a couple of weeks, then you could slowly ramp calories up into a building phase.

So start at 15 X BW for maintenance and then jump up from there.
    There really is no cookie cutter way in knowing where your calories would be set. Best thing to do is stick to a caloric amount for a week or two and re-assess.

Erik has a 4-part muscle building article in the notes on his facebook page. Here is part one~

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150097712427602

I would suggest you read all 4 and go from there. :)

3. glittergal

glittergal New Member

Thanks! Those 4 notes were exactly what I was looking for.

In answer to your question, I have been working slowly back towards maintenance.
    I was losing 0.5-0.75 pounds per week, while taking in around 1700 calories per day.
    Over the past 3 weeks, I have increased my calories to around 1850 per day.
    I would guess that maintenance for me is right around 1950, just as the 15 X BW forumula suggests.
    I will up to maintenance, and stay there for a few weeks and see how it goes.
    Interestingly, I already feel some (minor) strength gains; no visible change in muscle or in measurements, of course, but it feels nice to get stronger!

As far as macros, should I aim for 1-1.5 g protein / pound, as I did with fat loss, or are macro guidelines different when building muscle?

Thanks again.
    Sarah

4. glittergal

glittergal New Member

Oh, and of course I understand that I need to go above maintenance eventually, but plan to take it slowly (increasing calories by 10% or so every couple of weeks until I see results.)

5. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

Sounds like you're on the right track, Sarah.

Protein requirements aren't as great when you're not dieting, because increased calories spare protein. That is to say, when your body is getting sufficient calories to put you above a deficit level it doesn't need to go looking for its energy in your muscle stores. And if your increased calories are coming more from carbs than fats, even better. I'd say that 1 gr. of protein per pound of BW is sufficient for bulking.

6. Miss Lizzy

Miss Lizzy Member

This is awesome. Just what I was looking for. Seriously love LBC :goodpost: