Why Do People ...

Discussion in 'Diet, Nutrition and Supplements' started by Erik, Jun 2, 2006.

1. 3sweeties

3sweeties Well-Known Member

That is so true. :kiss: I love to cook, but there is only so much you can do when you are on "plan". Right now I'm investigating veggie ideas to spice up my diet.

2. amyloo

amyloo Member

Yep, this is what I've had to do also. I've been fooling myself to think that an AM refeed is ever a good idea.

3. Espi

Espi perfumes, not chocolate!

Took me a very long time to get this right yes. I always work out in the morning so it made sense to start a refeed or free meal right after. But every time it would be a disaster and calories would run into the 4000s.
    Upon reading Natural Hormone Enhancement I decided to move that meal towards the evening. I still sometimes give in too early, but nearly always regret that later on.

4. Ecala

Ecala Banned

4000 calories! I can't imagine it. What consists of 4000 cals?

5. Ecala

Ecala Banned

That would be multiple pints of ice cream, bags of cookies, loaves of bread I think. Wouldn't you get full?

6. funnyesq

funnyesq Member

Over the course of a day....easy. That's 1,000 calories for each of say 4 meals.

A pint of B&J is probably about 750 calories.
    Cheesecake...depending on the portion size...easily 700+ calories
    Muffins (you know, those big ones in thes stores) ...also probably about 500+
    Bagel with cream cheese...also probably 400+
    Pizza....depending on how many slices....easily 800+
    Restaurant meals....do we really need to go there....1000+ easily
    Pancakes, syrup and butter....pshah.....1,000+ easy
    French fries.....

I could go on....

7. Ecala

Ecala Banned

That's a lot of food! That's why I find it so astonishing.

8. accismus

accismus Active Member

"fullness" doesn't really register with a true binge

9. Jeff Rage

Jeff Rage Es Est Laichzeit!

I've done many carb loads where I would shoot for 4000 cal. (And even more at one time for bulking.) I seems to really lose my appetitie after 5000.

10. Espi

Yeah, 4000 kcal is really no problem on junkfood.
    Lemme see what I ate on one of those days:
    regular large bf: 4 fried eggs w chicken boob & grapes = 600 kcal
    snack: coffee & coconut : 105 kcal
    snack2: another coffee: 115 kcal
    regular meal:
    - minced meat & 1 lbs of veggies : 676 kcal
    binge meal : 2505 kcal
    - 100g lowfat cheese 240
    - 400g nut explosion ice cream 1200
    - licorice 630
    - dextrose candy 75
    - dried papaya 360

Total 4000 kcal - 455 carbs - 195 prot - 157 fats

Once I start eating fast carbs outside the exercise window, I'm literally lost and the little self-control I usually have, is out of the window.

To be able to afford such high calorie intakes, I've got to take calories quite low on other days. Strangely, I'm fine with that most days as long as I exercise and keep carbs low except for during the workout. This is only true for a couple of days though.

11. BlueTuna

BlueTuna Fish Aficionado

I'm sure my diet isn't as clean as many of those here, but I stay on-plan 99% of the time. I must be lucky in that the "bad" food I used to love no longer appeals. It will make me feel physically sick (processed, fried or fatty food), doesn't taste nearly as good as I remember (most things), or will give me a horrid "sugar buzz".

I get around the boredom factor by trying new recipes and foods, and I'm lucky that my husband is a great cook. :clap:

Even if you're strictly clean, there's still a lot you can do to vary your diet. :)

12. Robben

Robben Well-Known Member

Help me out here: Is this way of eating an old habit or do you still do it this way?:confused:

13. Cass

Cass Well-Known Member

I was wondering the same thing.

14. Espi

I allow myself to eat that amount of calories fairly frequently, yes. But some of these food items I hadn't eaten in over 6 months, like how I rarely if ever eat licorice at all anymore, while I used to eat 2 lbs of the stuff in a week for many years.
    My regular diet has around 35-40% fat calories. When I drop fats towards 30% I'm not feeling healthy anymore, hence the fattier choices. On training days I always eat fattier foods than on rest days.

15. strongchick

strongchick Well-Known Member

I know someone who's carb up days total aruond 7000.

She's around 115 lbs. TINY. But MAN she can pack it away....

16. Espi

In the 2 years I've been tracking, one my highest day was right when I'd recovered from the flu and hadn't eaten much for a week. Packed away 4700 kcal. Somehow there's no real feedback to tell me when I'm satiated when eating carbs, other than having an uncomfortable full stomach.
    So, that's why so many strategies are needed to prevent overfeeding. Mostly though, I prefer cutting calories low enough so that there's at least one day/week with insanely high calories.
    It's interesting though to see how in times when I'm on the brink of overtraining the body senses it needs low-fat carbs most of all.

17. jcg

jcg on a slippery slope

Hi,

(I’m new to the boards and this is the first thread I’ve read, so please forgive me if I sound a bit naïve.)

So the question posed is, why do people “… find it so hard to stick to a diet”? What the thread seems to keep coming back to is that this comes down to a “lack of self-control”.

In a practical sense, I don’t find this explanation to be very useful. Not sticking to a diet is basically synonymous with a lack of self-control, by definition. I don’t recall anyone saying, “I didn’t have to break the diet, it was my choice”. I heard much more about how this or that (stress, social pressures, hormones, even early family experiences) impact self-control. It seems to me that self control is too elusive a concept to be a useful explanation. It’s not static, it’s influenced by a zillion factors at any given time (even the weather if you are susceptible to SAD), not the least of which is how close you are to some target, whether it be a wedding, high school reunion, written exam or competition. It’s just easier to find that self-control at some times than others.

I think it was Erik who brought this up early in the thread, but I find it much more useful to think of breaking a diet in terms of “losing focus on your goal”. This is more concrete. Do I want to have more self-control? Sure. But how exactly do I work on that? And if I cave on my diet and feel bad about myself because I don’t have self-control, where does that get me? Frankly, I’m pretty self-accepting and not likely to feel guilty or bad about something as human as breaking a diet. But hey, do I want abs like some of you guys? OK … so I’ll die for that! (Well, slight exaggeration ;-)

Last week I discovered a great hill near my house for HIIT, which took the pain to a whole new level. I was ready to stop after the first sprint, let alone seven! Later that evening, after I caved on a Tb of almond butter, I kept thinking about those darn hills. Did I just throw away all that effort? Did I totally negate any progress I made that day? And that brought me around to focusing on how much I really want this. The whole exercise was hugely useful and I swear, every time I go off plan I’m going to be thinking of those hills! For me, this was so much more useful than kicking myself for not having self-control.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Fitwolf

Fitwolf Esta mi!

This is an incredible thread - I wish I'd been here when it was really going!

Food Food Food - it's so complicated! For me at least. I won't reiterate all 56 pages of why it is so complicated. But I will say that it is nice in a weird way to see that my reasons are here - other people have them too!

I find it really motivating to read about people who have been in their personal food journey long enough to be able to say that food doesn't solve problems, they don't have to eat what everyone else is eating, habits are in place to do all the planning and prep, and they can reasonably be in control of their diet!

I WILL GET THERE TOO!

Thanks to everyone who posted here - sticking to a diet is something I've been working on! I really appreciate being able to read other experiences. If you want to know my personal dificulties, keep reading...

1. Social situations - especially parties, bars, weddings, etc. "Special Occasions" - I want to acknowledge them as special and worthy of some sort of luxury... but they happen 3x a week! My brain also plays the "how often do you get the chance to eat (fresh crab, homemade cookies, ...)" card.

How do you tell your Mom, best friend, sister, etc that you don't want to eat the homemade pasta they made because it isn't on your diet? Unfortunately I grew up in a household where it was rude to turn down food or not eat everything on your plate.

Another social issue - I live in a small town and know many of the resturant owners. When I go out to spend time with friends I feel guilty if I don't order. I know these folks need the income to survive (especially in winter). Even when I'm good and only drink herb tea and tip well (often like over 100% - basically trying to pay for the time I took up space in their establishment) I still feel guilty.

1a. Work also, as I'm often in a bad mood and am very vulnerable to "want to order in for lunch?" At work food gives me something else to think about... and I really understand the "numbing" feeling.

2. Feeling physically or emotionally tired or drained. Getting into the "F-it, I don't care" attitude.

3. Irritation with the huge amount of control required. "Why can't I have a decent body without having to be this controlling?" Fairly often this turns into guilt about living in a country with such gross affluence and abundance (I'm in the U.S.) which often shifts to "F-it!"

4. I seem to be an all or nothing person - My free meal almost always becomes a free day. Or I get off my diet with, say a cookie, then feel like I already messed it up and might as well eat whatever. I know that makes no sense - one little cheat then back on the plan is much better than giving up for the day. But intellectual and emotional do not meet.

this can just go on and on, but I've got to stop for now.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Jeff Rage

Jeff Rage Es Est Laichzeit!

#1 obstacle is boredom with food. When I cut I tend to eat only a few different things.

Other obstacles are cravings for bad bads, peer pressure, and occasionally emotional situations.

20. DarrylLicke

DarrylLicke Member

Outside influences mostly have caused me to just say fugg it. Then there is the effort involved of trying to figure out EXACTLY, since I'm anal, what needs to be eaten when. So I think I set the bar too high. I don't think it'll be an issue this time though. I've slowly scaled back to a point where I think I can maintain the carb cycling approach for the next 6 weeks and beyond.