What's your favorite HIGH VOLUME foods?

Discussion in 'Diet, Nutrition and Supplements' started by gmhicks, Dec 14, 2011.

1. jamistar77

jamistar77 Well-Known Member

Oh no! Sorry you didn't like the rugrats lol. I'm going to make them today :)

2. brooket

brooket Active Member

I LOVE jicama with lime juice! The United Center has an awesome veggie cup with jicama, celery, cherry tomatoes and cukes. So awesome to find a good snack! We have 1/4 season tix and the lady at that booth says, "I know you is comin' for your veggies, gurl!" LOL

3. SheChampion

SheChampion New Member

Sometimes you can get some really disgusting rutabagas. Bitter and just unpleasant. They are a fall vegetable so the ones you get this time of year can be unpleasant. I cooked some for Easter and ended up ditching the works. A pound of sugar wouldn't have salvaged them.

4. SheChampion

SheChampion New Member

Is Jicama a good replacement? How does it compare with sweet potato?? Thnx in advance.

5. brooket

brooket Active Member

No problem! I actually eat jicama raw, just cut the skin off and I cut it up like carrot sticks. I would say the texture is like a water chestnut and the taste is like a starchy veggie. I don't know what it would be like cooked.

6. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

its pretty plain cooked (remember a VERY short attempt at LC) seasoning it helps.

7. LifeLova

LifeLova Under construction

I LOVE LOVE Jicama with real lemon juice, salt and chili powder. Yum! That's actually the traditional way to eat it in Mexico.

8. Inatic

So its eaten that way raw?

9. baybygirl31

baybygirl31 Member

Yep, and it's delicious!

10. michele.m

michele.m Member

well this is a great sticky...finally stumbled upon it!

11. jamistar77

I've already posted this... but, Oat bran rocks my mini loaf pans! LOL This stuff is crazy BIG! In fact, they 'grow' out of my loaf pans when they bake. I think I might make them into muffins intsead. I bet I could get almost 8 or 10 out of the recipe I use. Although I have learned that eating it everyday can bring on some tummy issues..:oops: :lol:
    Pumpkin bran muffins
    5 egg whites
    4g vanilla PP
    46g Hodgson oat bran
    60g pumpkin puree
    1/4 tsp baking powder
    dash sea salt
    cinnamon/stevia, Da Vince SF vanilla
    oven 350, 45-50 mintues for loaves. 35 min for muffins

12. jamistar77

Rutabagas are a new go to for me as well.. YUM! Although after I bake them up as fries, they weigh out to be just as much as what I have subbed them out for. Which is no biggie because I LOVES me some "rutafries"
    Sweet potatoes, I have 150g raw. If I cut them up, and boil them in water for 10 minutes.. drain.. reweigh, I normally get about 158g after they are cooked :D
    How about acorn squash?? Do any of you ever eat that? I eat sketti squash sometimes.. Butternut is one I want to try as well.

13. brooket

brooket Active Member

:love: butternut! I haven't tried the acorn yet.

14. jamistar77

Brooke, how do yoy prepare the Butternut? :)

15. patti

patti Active Member

Yes! I will vouch for this recipe as it has become one of my regulars :love: I make Sophie's Crock pot Steel Cut Oats (until I can get me some Groats, that is) & a side of Sophie's Super-Powers EW & Pumpkin Muffins - ya wanna talk B.I.G. ? That there is some big eats! My oldest DD looked at my 'spread' last week and said "you're going to eat ALL of THAT?" :lol:
    For my crazy-busy AM's when I teach my 5:30 boot camp, I like Jami's Jamin' Oat Bran Loaf. I've made 3-4 at a time. When I reheat, I slice them long-ways and put them in the toaster, then serve with a side of WF maple syrup for dipping :yum:
    Sunday's are still reserved for Corinne's Coconut Strawberry Pancake 'gasms!

You've gotta try the butternut squash, too. So far, my favorite way to prepare them is to peel, chop & weigh, sprinkle with some cinnamon, wrap in parchment paper & then foil (I've got a 'thing' about my food touching aluminum), and bake for about 40 min at 350-375. When the packets are cooled, I just toss them in a zipper bag in the fridge. They eat well cold or reheated - good flavor!

16. michele.m

michele.m Member

Leek Cauliflower Mash

saute leeks in pam on low till golden
    steam a head of cauliflower
    add both to cuisinart with a good amount of pepper and i've been using pink salt which tastes amazing
    add about 1/3 - 1/2 can chicken broth and blend well.

you can add more chicken broth to make more of a Leek Cauliflower Soup.

it's filling, warm and delicious.

17. baybygirl31

baybygirl31 Member

Eating my very first M1 muffin made with Wheat Bran and holy volume! AND it tastes good! I almost feel like I'm eating a Bran muffin from Mimi's Cafe. I made it similar to Jamistar's (less the PP) and I added WF Caramel Dip.

18. jamistar77

"Jamis Jamin' oat bran muffins"! Patti, I like the sound of that! lol! I have a recipe! WOOT!
    they are huge aren't they!

CORRINE. I bet its great with the caramel! I have some, do you add it to the top, or in with the ingredients?

19. Inatic

how many muffins did it make?

20. brooket

brooket Active Member

So, I made the pumpkin loaf and it looks an smells AMAZING! Can't wait for breakfast tomorrow! Also, subbed 150 g of russets tonight for the butternut squash = 250 g of squash, holy cow! Super filling, didn't even finish my broccoli, I was stuffed! Thanks for all the great ideas :buddies: