What made you decide....

Discussion in 'Mindless Banter' started by Noel Clark, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Noel Clark

Noel Clark Senior Member

that you were fed up with how you looked or how you felt and start this journey with training and lifting? Even if you were doing it before--what made you step up your game to reach new goals?

I have had quite a few interesting clients lately and am rather surprised by some of the things that they say and there reasons for doing this, as well as deciding that it is not for them. I am just curious about everyone's thoughts here.

2. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

i dont think my preschool director will understand im late because im posting lol.. :angel4:
    will get back to this after school.

3. Steve

Steve Whatever

For me, it was a multifaceted.

For one, it was a transition from lifting to improve my ability on the field to lifting to improve my physique.

Secondly, I hated how skinny I was. I didn't care much what others thought of me. I simply wasn't personally content... especially knowing there was something I could do about it if I wanted to.

Once I made the choice... I never looked back.

4. Cara

Cara Uh-oh! I smell redneck!

Crossfit is really what started this for me. After I started seeing changes doing that, I realized that it wasn't heredity keeping me fat, it was me. Once I got the ball rolling, I never looked back! :thumb:

What got me going to Crossfit is realizing that after 2 years in vet tech school and wearing scrubs that fit everyone from sizes 6-12, I couldn't get into my old work clothes -- the ones with actual buttons and zippers! :lol: That's a tough thing to deal with. None of my "street" clothes fit me after I got out of school. I felt horrible about that and knew I needed to find an activity that I would enjoy enough to get me past the initial hump. After 2-3 months of Crossfit, my clothes were falling off me and I was hooked.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
    • Like Like x 1
  5. mcv

mcv Blissfully Maintaining

Multifaceted reasons here as well. I have been interested in lifting/training since before college, but didn't have all the information. Coming from a science background, i sort of view the whole thing as a cool science experiment, and it has been amazing to me what I can do to manipulate my own body.

After I was diagnosed with bc, my reasons shifted a bit to add in the whole health and rehabilitation aspect. This lifestyle is a big part of who I am and I am 100% unapologetic about that. :)

6. Noel Clark

Noel Clark Senior Member

Was there ever a point where you were like..this is just too hard, or too time consuming or too..whatever? And I don't mean like having a bad day...

7. SBT

SBT Ready to get back to it!!!

For me it was just that i was tired of being heavier/fatter then all my friends that I played sports with (I played hs basketball and soccer and college basketball) and although I ate remotely healthy I was still always heavier, but I guess thats what you get for loving soda and bread huh?!? And at that point I was only eating twice a day. Finally I started cutting that stuff out, eating 4-5 times a day and dropped almost 10-12 lbs within the first month, then I started studying nutrition and changing the way I ate from there. A year or so after I was done with sports is when I started up at a gym but mostly just dinked around in the cardio section or played on the machines still eating healthy all along and dropping steadily, and when I moved to Michigan about two years ago decided I needed some muscles so started really getting into training :)

8. mcv

mcv Blissfully Maintaining

When I was in law school I was having a hard time balancing it all, so I stopped working out for a few weeks. Turns out half my energy was because I WAS working out and eating healthy! :lol: I got less done when I stopped doing the things I thought were draining. For me the whole training/eating well thing helps me focus and work on everything else more efficiently.

As for "too hard" - I like being able to do things other people can't. :)

9. Birdie

Birdie Active Member

For me the journey began when I got the original Firm video series. My body started really changing for the better with the weights. From there, it just kept progressing and learning and I was setting higher goals for myself.

10. Cara

Cara Uh-oh! I smell redneck!

No, because since I started I've had it pretty easy -- not working, etc... And it's really not time consuming. I spend an hour a day in the gym at the most and I'd have to cook/eat no matter what so that doesn't really add more hassle.
    I think if I lived a more stressful life, I might have struggled more but I've been lucky. :wink:

11. Steve

Steve Whatever

I've gone through stages where life was too damn much to be 100% 'on' with my programming

I mean, life is about choices. I'm a firm believer that if you want something bad enough, and work consistently at it, you'll find ways to reach your goals.

That said, sometimes in life the choice you're faced with is between two 'evils.'

I hate not improving in terms of performance or physique. At the same time, there have been times in my life where I simply couldn't afford the time, energy or emotion to put into improving my physique/performance. In those cases, I go on maintenance. I never stop completely, but during these times I know I'm not doing 'enough.'

And I'm okay with that b/c just as my reason for getting into this all is multifaceted... so to is life and what it throws at you.

Flexibility and managing expectations are critical.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Cathie

Cathie I have SFP :mecry:

I started exercising to look better in my wedding gown :lol: I went to the "fat burner" and step classes. Then had a couple kids and went back to get the baby weight off. I didn't get into the weight training until my younger son was about 9 months old. Someone at my gym gave me an 02 magazine and I liked the more muscular look. So I bought lots of books and started hitting the weights. I've learned even more since joining this board and am loving it.

As my kids got older and became more involved with sports and my husband and I have to each take a kid to a game or practice, I did have to move my workout schedule from the evening to early morning before work.

I have never felt it was too time consuming. My husband might disagree with that :lol:

13. jills

jills Make yourself strong

i had very very limited experience with lifting and had never been a consistent exerciser ever in my life. I hadn't been to the gym in five months when i had the fitness assessment there that changed everything for me. I finally was really frustrated with being out of shape, having such a major part of my life suck so much when everything else was going well. I hired the trainer who tested me and that got me started on the journey that led me here.

my one-year fitiversary--the day i took that test--is in two weeks, October 15. I will have been consistently working on bettering my fitness for one full year. I'm extremely proud of that. :thumb:

14. Sammyjo

Sammyjo New Member

It's just something I don't even think about. I eat, I sleep, I train. I do cardio for heart health and because it helps me with my energy levels. I don't do an abundance of it, but enough.

15. Meechel

Meechel Enjoying the summer!

Well I had a "moment" last August 2007 when in Vegas. I couldn't fit in the airplane seat without spilling over onto other people....it hurt. I saw the pics from my daughters birthday party...they sucked and I was too lazy to do much with her....my college ring was so tight I couldn't get it off without water and I cried that day and my hand was swollen for 3 days....was one of the worst days of my life....but now it turns sideways and if it wasn't for my knuckles would fall off....that is one of the best feelings.

I got rejected by male friend which might have been the best thing to help with my decision...we still tease to this day that was his worse decision ever :bitch: :funny:

I decided I was sick of being lazy, fat, and wanted to become healthy for me and my daughter. I did a 9 day fast to cleanse and then I remembered Ileen and Cindy from the lowcarbfriends.....I saw Ileen's signature and I was like ok who is this Erik dude....googled him and within 2 weeks I was contacting him for help.

It is a choice I have to make and sometimes struggle with. I go to school part-time, work full-time, go to my dd gymnastics on thurs, volunteer at the church wed and sunday and at times have to shuffle her for playdates and sleep overs....I still CHOOSE to make eating healthy a lifestyle....I don't always get to the gym like I used to but I am keeping my eating in check for most part (was lil lax over the summer but didn't gain) and now I am on the road to losing the last 20 or so lbs.

It isn't easy but it is a choice I make.....I now can run with my daughter, swim with her, ride bikes with her, lift weights and feel good about my body.....all from choices I make.

16. Charissa

Charissa Active Member

I was always into athletics with my dad being a physical ed teacher and coach of all sports. I started lifting in HS and loved it. I wanted to do power lifting but my cross country coach wouldn't let me. When I went to college I wanted to get into bodybuilding. It wasn't until I joined the military later and was out in Cali that some airforce chick mentioned I should do figure..of course i'd never heard of that. Did the research and saw it was better than bodybuilding because I didn't have to look like a man to do well. Anyways I took the leap and got myself ready for my first show and after taking 2nd I was hooked. Sometimes when I'm exhausted during prep and my friends are all out socializing without me I wonder why the heck i'm spending so much time living my life in the gym or living my life for one day. The answer..I love it and I love hearing from people about how disciplined I am. Besides it's not just about competing for one day it's about living a healthy and fit lifestyle. I love competing and what it's done to my body and I wouldn't give it up even if I'll never be a gina allioti.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Noel Clark

Noel Clark Senior Member

Meechel--did you find it hard eating what you had to eat at the beginning? And if you did...what made you keep going?

18. Amy

Amy Just say no to CANDY!!!

For me, I did not lose the bulk of my weight with Erik (if only I could turn back time :sad: ). So for me, the choices I was making were not always the best. I did weight watchers, so it is all based on points. At first I would basically eat veggies and 'free foods' so that I could have a treat. :sad: Not the healthiest way to lose weight. However, eventually, as I got smaller (and less points) I started to learn that these treats were not nearly as filling and really provided me with no energy. Lucky for me, I educated myself through the process and learned that it is a lifestyle change.

What made me decide to lose it? I wanted it more than I wanted the food. I hd no energy and I found myself not wanting to play outside with my son (1 years old at the time). My husband was leaving for deployment (on a submarine) and decidede to get rid of the majority of the junk food and went from there.

Yes I have had a few times where I thought I couldn't do it. I think when I got to about the 50 pound loss mark, I stayed there for a few months. I think this is when I had the realization that I would be doing this for the rest of my life and that it is not a diet, but instead a lifestlye. I think I cried a few tears and then made the choice that I wanted energy, smaller clothes and a leaner body MORE than I wanted the food.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Meechel

I would be lying if I said I didn't BUT I knew I would....I knew I just needed to make it through the day.....through the week....I knew it WAS healthy.

Noel I posted affirmations that I would look at 3-5 times a day....Ileen knows what I am talking about because most came from a book we both have read....but here are a few examples.

"I am a fat burning machine."

"Is this going to take me closer or further from my goal?"

"I love how I look in my size 8 jeans" (notice it is present tense?) ...while I am not a size 8 yet damnit that helped me get into the mode until it was a habit and I started seeing results.

"I am a healthy and fit"

"I love running with my daughter and my dog"

Honestly Noel I have worked with 3-5 other trainers in person and I NEVER wanted it as bad as I did last year....I would do the weights and cardio just fine but my dietary adherance was probably 75% on good day.

I then wrote out 1 month goals, 3 month goals, 6 month goals, 1 year goals....didn't hit them exactly but I was making progress....heck technically I have only lost 50lbs in this last year but you won't see any saggy skin or other side effects from losing too fast on me.

I know it sounds crude and raw but if they don't want it bad enough then nothing you say or do will help....but I did like the authors tip about finding an emotional reason to become healthy....my dd father is probably close to 400lbs and her grammie is 240-250 and prob 70% bf....I HAD to step up to the plate if I wanted my daughter to have a healthy role model.

I am not at goal but I am in a hell of a lot better place then last year and especially last July 2007 was my worst....my sister came from TX and all the fat pics are gross!

20. Meechel

p.s. just posting all of this has got me fired up to push myself even more to hit my size 8 goal! :lifter: