What influenced you?

Discussion in 'Training' started by Scout200, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Scout200

Scout200 Member

Several people have a story as to what influenced them to change their lifestyle to becoming a bodybuilder or just overall, healthy. What was your inspiration to change your lifestyle to what it is today?

2. daleebd

daleebd New Member

My mom passed during surgery in March of 2001. Long story short, I feel if she had been in better condition when she got ill, she might have survived the surgery. Her body would have been better prepared for the hardship she faced. I realized I never wanted to face a grave illness without being in better shape than I was in.

We'd all had weight issues in my family, and all done WWs with varied success. But I gained the weight back. I realized I did not need a "diet" but a new "lifestyle." I was never a junk food junkie but I did eat food that was not nourishing and fitness was not a constant in my life.

After I had twins in 2002 via my 3rd IVF (PCOS issues) I started eating healthier and working out on my own. I lost 30lbs... and got pregnant without medical help in 2005! So after having my third child I had to start all over again.

I hit a plateau and got a trainer, and someone recommended Oxygen magazine. I knew about bodybuilding competitions but did not know about figure. Someone had suggested I needed a new goal to get me going. The idea of competing in figure was inspiring - those women looked like they worked hard and achieved an amazing fitness goal. It is scary too.

I've dropped more weight but stalled again for a long time. I'm hoping to get more guidance (from Erik now) to get me to that goal. I'm already in a single digit size - I don't even remember owning anything in my current size!

I miss my mom every day. We were close and it feels SO wrong to have lost her early - she'd had a fairly good prognosis. I want to be here for my husband, my kids, my grandkids... AND I want to be able to enjoy life, not hide in XXL t-shirts like I used to (I can wear a medium now - it feels amazing!).

Good health is SO worth making changes in your life.

Lee

3. Kristina

Kristina Member

This made me cry...My Mom has always had a weight issue and has been as high as 280 lbs..She is 5'2..Over the years she has really worked hard to keep the weigh off and stay around 160 now..She had a hip replacement and needs both knees done..I think the weight over the years just took it's toll on her body..Our family LOVES, Food, Drinking and goodtimes (Irish/Italian)! So great the changes you have made and your setting such an amazing example for your children...I am sorry for your loss sending you :hug:

4. baldd

baldd Member

In my younger years I was inspired by Corey Everson and Rachal McLish, and as I get older I'm inspired by active older adults like Jack Lalaine.

5. daleebd

daleebd New Member

Thank you, Kristina - I appreciate it very much. I'm impressed at your mom's accomplishment. The weight for sure took a toll but she worked hard, dealt with surgeries, and is here for you, a huge testament to her will to be fitter and healthier. I hear you on those celebrations, and my parents LOVED to cook together (mom baked and followed recipes while dad is the improviser). My mom wasn't tall (5' 4.75") and her weight went up and down - I'm sure that did not help. We just have to figure out how to have the good time without killing ourselves with either too much or the wrong kind of foods, and to keep the treats to those major celebrations (not, hey, Aloha Friday, time for drinks and pupus LOL).

I do think my kids are thriving - they are all active, they eat healthy, none ask for junk food (well, we do desserts - my daughter asked for strawberries with some light whipped cream - no problem!) - the doctor calls them "check-up kids" because they seem to only go in for check-ups.

Thanks for the :hug: - we need more of those in the world! BTW - my mom's birthday was Halloween (yes, I just saw your journal! We always celebrate - Halloween is BIG in our family!).

Lee

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  6. Chris_78

Chris_78 New Member

I am more focused on performance training so what has really influenced me is trying to experiment with various training methods to see which ones elicit the best results.

7. Trannmcd

Trannmcd Stay focused on your goal!!

Competing in one show was on my bucket list. I decided it was time to look better than the blond girl at my gym. She inspired me to look better, lift more and eat better than her. She is my friend now, but I was on a mission to surpass her. I did!!!

Traci

• Like Like x 1
  8. Stifler

Stifler Member

I'm not sure I have an inspiration per se. I feel the desire within myself to be better than I was the day before. Always have. This doesn't always happen of course, but the desire is always there. Putting the desire into action can be a challenge but knowing someone out there is doing something that I can't really pisses me off.

9. Askinner11

Askinner11 Active Member

My mother was also very unhealthy and passed away at an early age (54). I decided I did not want to live my life that way!!
    But I do have to say I have always admired women with muscular physiques but I didn't think I had what it takes!! :) After training on my own for about 2 years, seeing SOME results, I decided I needed Erik to get the real results I'd been looking for!! :))

10. Fitnesschic

Fitnesschic New Member

I was a competivie gymast and diver through my younger years. I saw a Fitness america show on tv and thought it would be a great avenue to perform. My ex wouldn't allow me to do it though...... so guess what? the second the divorce was final, off I went! :) hee hee..... When I finished my routine and hit the side of the stage I cried..... an unbelievable experience!

11. fitforfat

fitforfat Member

My sculpture teacher planted the seed. He would devote an entire class to watching bodybuilding videos and had several "muscle mags" scattered around the room to educate us about the muscles of the human body. At the time, I was lean and had a small amount of muscle mass due to competitive cheerleading. For this reason, he would always encourage me to become a bodybuilder. Even the class got in on it.

It always stuck with me, but it took a few years before I acted on it.

12. FMW

FMW New Member

I started working out because I was too skinny. I hated it. I wasn't skinny fat either, I was a bone rack and could eat whatever I wanted!! I started lifting weights.

I was inspired by fitness competitors back in the day.

Now that I am older I have the opposite problem :oops:

I'm finding my whey back to my former fit self.

13. Fitfatguy

Fitfatguy New Member

Homelife tanked, and needed an outlet, lifting was always a thing I liked doing, so that got the motor runnig again.

14. cathymp

cathymp Well-Known Member

I was fat (came from a obese family) and heading toward obesity. One day a girl I was working with invited me to the gym to workout with her and I was hooked. I mean seriously, I couldn't do very much, but somehow I knew the lifestyle was going to change me. Soon after I joined the gym I found books written by Gladys Portugues and Rachel McLish (I'm serisously dating myself now) and saw how beautiful these muscular women were with all their strength and sexuality. I so wanted to be like them. That was all she wrote.

15. hoopinjenn

hoopinjenn The Penis Genius

I've always been skinny, skinnyfat even. Never worried about what I ate, never exercised and really didn't care. Even after 4 kids my non pregnant highest weight was 111 (I'm 5'6"). My dad' side of the family are all tall and skinny, meanwhile my mothers side are all short and very obese.

2 years ago I gained 20lbs. Now generally I did kind of need some weight on me, just um not 20lbs of fat straight to my ass thighs and abs. Up until then I had defined flat abs without even trying! Seeing my rear end squeezed like a sausage in my favorite jeans was kind of an eye opener. I did not want to follow in my mothers footsteps. I refused to let myself go like that!

While we already ate fairly healthy there was room for improvement and that was my first step. Then I started exercising, at first Jillian Micheals then some other random ones I cant recall. Body for Life was my first step in to actually lifting weights. I fell in love but wasn't really getting the results I saw on the website from others. A friend told me to try P90X and that really set me off. I discovered a love for weights, push ups and pull ups! I did 2 rounds and a round of insanity. As a cardio hater I actually enjoyed insanity and my endurance went through the roof. Yet still I wasn't getting the results of others I was coaching or any other customers of the X for that matter. I was at the breaking point of frustration with my lower body and lack of ability to drop any weight off. 2 years and I lost 5 lbs, ugh! But I refused to give up on myself. I knew I had to be doing something wrong, I just couldn't find the magic formula. and then a fellow BB coach sent me to the LBC facebook page.

I wasn't sure about Erik and his ways at first. I seriously questioned the madness. The more I read, the more results I saw posted, the more I wanted in! I've only been LBC for 3 days but I am smitten. The gym is my new favorite hang out and I read LBC every morning with my oats & eggs :weights2:

16. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

Hi Jenn!
    Body for life was my intro to wts and I never looked back!

welcome!

17. hoopinjenn

hoopinjenn The Penis Genius

I wish I had discovered the love of lifting sooner, it's such an addiction :)

18. LadyV

LadyV Member

I just gained a little weight. As a person who never had to worry about it, it has been kind of humbling. My husband is very fit and I just kind of feel blah next to him, not the way I want it to be. We ran the Warrior Dash in June and I didn't do so well, so I decided to kick my own self in the butt and do what needs to be done.

19. jamistar77

jamistar77 Well-Known Member

I wanted to lose weight and transform my body. I would lose weight, and still look the same. A thin girl with no shape.. other than pear, LOL
    Weight lifting changed my life, both mentally and physically.

Now I do what I do because my doctor told me to just swim or do yoga. I lift and workout because I can, and I wake up everyday and cherish the good days that I have, and use them to my fullest. MS will not slow me down every again! I want to beat the odds, and not let any stigma get in my way. I don't want to be perceived as being broken or damaged.