What do you do to prevent hair ingrow

Discussion in 'Health & Beauty' started by Dreamer, May 15, 2006.

1. Naggy

Naggy Well-Known Member

Ingrowns are the bane of my existence!!! No matter WHAT I do - I get them... then whenever I remove them, it never fails that I get a scab or a big red mark where the ingrown was... SUPER HOT - legs with scabs all over them - UGH!!! So frustrating!
    I'm going to try the deodorant tip and look for Tend Skin... Bikini Zone and exfoliating scrubs have done absolutely NOTHING for me! grr...

2. Brandi

Brandi old school

Afterwards.

3. MarciaF

MarciaF Member

Try this...

After you shave, put rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball and rub on area just shaved. Let it dry, then put a little bit of baby powder on the area. You may have to continue do it after you shower for 2-3 days after you shave. It works so well for me! And it's cheap.

Also, since I've started tanning, I don't get them and don't even have to use the alcohol/baby powder trick.

4. EmilytheStrange

EmilytheStrange Member

For the bikini area, I use this stuff called No Bumps RX. It has an aha (or is it bha?) but I don't get ingrown hairs when I used this daily. I get it at Sally's Beauty supply for $7.

5. Pieceofme

Pieceofme New Member

I have had this for years and did the exfoliating, the creams you name it. I finally found something that worked. Tea Tree Oil. Mix it in with your favorite cream or oil and you will see a huge different within a week.
    It has a weird smell, the the smell does not last on the skin
    Good luck!

6. jingles142

jingles142 New Member

I have these too!! I exfoliate and then use a lotion called Aqua Glycol (it stings a little!) on my legs. After a few days it seems to have cleared. Also when I get sun on my legs it seems to help. It makes me wonder if taking a vitamin D supplement would help with this unless it is something else about the sun. Don't worry I am not a sun goddess I don't even have tan lines!!

7. Erin

Erin Getting back to this...

I use Post Shave Healer in the bikini area. It's by Clinique and for men but it works great. I've used it for years.

8. Marrla

Marrla Member

Okay... question in relation...

What about after you wax and the hair is juuuust starting to grow back in. But it's so short, and then it's stubbly-- EWW! Yuck-- so how do you deal with this? What do you do?!

I haaate hair!!!

9. AugustGirl

AugustGirl Member

Tend Skin is amazing. I am never ever without a bottle. Works wonders, not only for preventing ingrowns, but also for getting rid of pimples and healing cuts, scrapes, etc. Definitely worth the price!

10. accismus

accismus Active Member

I concur with Tend Skin. It is wonderful stuff.

11. Brandi

Brandi old school

Non scented clear deodrant. I swear.

12. colo1278

colo1278 I'm growing a person!

just wanted to say ditto on this stuff. It's the only thing that ever worked for me. I am pretty sure it's at www.tendskin.com

13. Marrla

Marrla Member

but what about stubble? Like in between waxing? I hate stubble... shave? ... but then if you shave, it's not growing long enough to wax... hahah-- vicious cycle... bah! What do you guys do?

14. colo1278

colo1278 I'm growing a person!

I only shave and use tend skin bc salon waxing is too expensive (don't want to self-wax) and mine grows back in like 2 days.

15. Tearose

Tearose Focused and On Fire

of if you shave down there... I can never get a close enough shave to not have stubble and I hate it, but I don't want to let the hair grow back :( Do any of you only shave down there?

16. AugustGirl

AugustGirl Member

I shave "down there" every single day (have never done waxing, just shaving). I don't have any problems with ingrowns but I also make sure to exfoliate and use Tend Skin on a very regular basis :)

17. Lydia

Lydia I love global warming

Waxing is the way to go. I'm a newly converted Brazilian lover....I'll never go back!! Even though it's only perfect for a few days, maybe a week, the hair is softer and if done every 4 weeks is totally manageable. It hurt like heel the first time, but if done regularly (before it gets back to where it was!) it hurts sooooooo much less!

18. Lydia

Lydia I love global warming

No - you're supposed to pull opposite the hair growth. Make sure your skin is clean (no lotions) and put down a little baby powder first - just a light dusting (helps the wax adhere).

19. J5ive

J5ive Member

If you're using anything like a Gillette Fusion, the blades only stay sharp for five uses or so. I often find that if I don't use a new blade every week, I get a ton of ingrowns. (Especially on my neck, where the hair growth changes directions all over the place.)

Also, you may want to try a higher-end shaving gel or cream. Kiehl's makes some wonderful stuff, which is usually about $14 a tube. If you have a Nordstrom or a Neiman Marcus or any other Kiehl's counter in your area, ask them for a sample of everything related to shaving for men and women. (Kiehl's is famous for its generous sample distribution.) If you don't have a Kiehl's counter, Target has a pretty good men's line of shaving cream in the $7 range.

20. PerfectAnjail

PerfectAnjail Active Member

tried this today. hope you're right brandi!