Weighing food dry/raw or cooked?

Discussion in 'Diet, Nutrition and Supplements' started by DLoving, Jul 22, 2015.

1. DLoving

DLoving New Member

Hey, I'm new to this forum as well as to the whole weighing food thing. I've heard that you weigh protein cooked and weigh everything else raw. Is that true? Also, I use MyFitnessPal and the My Recipes & Foods, how do you get the proper serving size being that it only says "1 serving" and not grams or ounces? Thank you.

2. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

we weight protein cooked, oats, pasta, cereals, potato raw.
    for the serving size you need to likely add it as custom. - I dont use my fitness pal.

3. DLoving

DLoving New Member

Thank you, appreciate it! What do you use if anything? And what about rice and veggies? Raw? And would it make any difference if it was frozen or no?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  4. Inatic

I am an LBC Coach, I use my LBC spread sheet. I like Cronometer better than any of the other calculators because I feel its most accurate.

Rice is raw. Veggies - raw for many of them particularly if they shrink up like say onions or zucchini.

5. DLoving

DLoving New Member

Once again thank you. I'm a fairly new personal trainer just trying to learn the basics of this whole food weighing thing.

6. Laura Hollenbeck

Laura Hollenbeck Member

What about spaghetti squash? How would you weigh it out?

7. Inatic

Laura it technically should be weighed raw but it's not that much of a difference to matter. I just take about 10g off cooked weight when i serve it.

8. Laura Hollenbeck

Laura Hollenbeck Member

Thanks so much!! First day with food prep (on wait list with CWT) and it's harder than I thought! Yikes! Please tell me it gets easier with time.

9. Inatic

There is a bit of an adjustment getting used to it.