Weekly vs. Daily Calories

Discussion in 'Diet, Nutrition and Supplements' started by stephm2010, May 20, 2011.

1. stephm2010

stephm2010 In Motion

Hello,

Just wondering if it is ok to do your calorie counts for weekly calories instead of daily? I have set a goal of 12x bw, but I frequently come in 100-250 calories under that. Almost every day. I try to make up for it later in the evening, but I don't want my evening meal to be too huge. If you leave a gap like that and then have a weekly cheat or even a couple of larger meals in the week would that be counterproductive? I am sure I will eventually get to a point where my calories will be right on track, but i am just learning how to do all of this, and weighing everything I eat. Hope this is making sense..

2. Sohee

Sohee working on the bikini body

How do you go about getting your calories in? Do you plan out your meals the day before? Do you wing it?

I'm a little confused as to how you consistently fall short of meeting your daily calorie goals.

3. stephm2010

stephm2010 In Motion

I plan out my first three in the morning. Then I kind of wing it in the afternoon and evening. Then pre bed time is almost always the same meal. I am just kind of learning how many calories things have so I am having a hard time putting my meals together. I put everything into livestrong to calculate. I will make a meal and think that is is close to 300 cal. then when I get it put into the comp it ends up being like 225 or something.. Make sense? Then I get kinda freaked out about adding things to my next meal to make up for the calories. So at night I find my calories down and trying to decide if it is better to eat more food at that time or just do better tomorrow. I have been stupid at dieting for years and spinning my wheels. I am just trying to get all of my food in now. The days I get all of my calories I feel really really full, and the days I am slightly under feel better, when I am too far under I get soooo hungry. I always make sure I get enough protien, but I am always afraid of too much fat or too many carbs in one meal. By the end of the day it ends up being close to even percentages. 33/33/33 with a little variation. I guess I just need a better system for meal planning. I look forward to the day I can hire it done for me! I am finally seeing results, but I want to be more consistant with the high end of dieting calories, so that I have somewhere to drop from without screwing up my metabolism even more than I already have from before. I think 12x bw is close to my maintenance right now, I am trying to bring that up a bit by adding a little more food at a time. Sorry so long! I appreciate any advice on prepping, planning, or anything else. Thanks

4. Cathie

Cathie I have SFP :mecry:

I would suggest writing a meal plan for a few days or a week at a time. That way, you don't have to freak about adding calories to another meal. I think the easiest way to handle it is take your total daily calories and divide it by the number of meals you eat per day.

I take a few hours on Sunday and prepare all my food for the week. I make 7 egg white quiches for the week, make my banana oatmeal loaves,, grill my chicken, cook my ground turkey, grill veggies etc. I store each in their own tupperware in the fridge. Then each night, I weigh and package my foods for the next day so I'm not scramblinng trying to figure out a meal. Preparation is KEY for fat loss.

5. stephm2010

stephm2010 In Motion

Thanks Cathie, That is what I do for my husband to make sure he gets all of his calories. I need to better at it for me. I wish my body tolerated meat better. It would be so much easier for food prep. I don't any any land animals with the exeption of eggs and dairy. And I have recently discovered shrimp hates me too :( boooo because I love it but I get so sick. Are the morning star farms products ok to add into a diet plan or are they junk? I used to eat them, but I cut them out because of sodium. Now I read that I shouldn't worry to much about sodium so I am thinking they may save me a little grief in food prep. How do you store and prepare your whites? I have just been making them as I go, but having them done ahead of time would be great!

6. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

have you tried organic meat vs store bought?

Sodium is ok.. Sea salt is better. Id watch the additon of a lot of soy especially with a slow metabolism.

7. stephm2010

stephm2010 In Motion

I haven't done organic meats. I cut all meat out a few years ago. It wasn't always this way, but a few years ago I just started to get really sick when I ate meat. It was weird. I have tried to add it back in a few times in small amounts to assess my tolerance and immediatly got ill.. Maybe organic would make a difference. I cut out almost all sodium for a while and never added salt to anything, but I use sea salt now. Soy slows down your metabolism? boo.. I just learned how much I love TVP..

8. Sohee

Sohee working on the bikini body

You cut out all sodium? :finger: Glad you added sea salt back in. On the LBC plan, we are encouraged to sea salt our food liberally. Don't be afraid of salt; your body needs it.

I agree with Cathie re: meals. Plan ahead. That way you don't end up short at the end of the day. I always plan my next day's meals the night before.

9. Inatic

maybe have some testing done on food allergies and sensitivities.

Yes to the soy. I'd not be adding a lot of that.

10. stephm2010

stephm2010 In Motion

Thanks again for the advice, I love that there is always something to learn. I'll check into the food allergies, and cut back the soy again. Also I spent the entire day yesterday with Amy's cookbook in hand prepping meals for myself and my husband so that I always have some things on hand. I will be working towards making that a habit. I know that planning is crucial to success so I am working on making that a new goal. Is there a good thread on here about food prep ideas?

11. Beccaleedom

Beccaleedom Member

Cathie,
    Would you please give me your recipe for your banana oatmeal lovaves. Thanks Becky

12. Cathie

Cathie I have SFP :mecry:

Sorry, I just saw this.

■40 grams oatmeal, grounded in blender
    ■65 grams banana, mashed
    ■1 teaspoon cinnamon
    ■1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
    ■1/4 teaspoon baking powder
    ■1 packet Stevia, or Splenda or sweetener of choice
    ■1 egg white
    ■1/4 cup water

Directions
    In small mixing bowl, combine grounded oatmeal, mashed banana, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder and sweetener of choice. Add egg white and water and mix thoroughly. Pour into a mini loaf pan sprayed lightly with non-stick spray. Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.

You can substitute the banana for your choice of fruit. Also, these loaves freeze well so you can make several of them at once and store them in the freezer.

And here's a pic

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  13. patti

patti Active Member

■40 grams oatmeal, grounded in blender
    ■65 grams banana, mashed
    ■1 teaspoon cinnamon
    ■1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
    ■1/4 teaspoon baking powder
    ■1 packet Stevia, or Splenda or sweetener of choice
    ■1 egg white
    ■1/4 cup water

Directions
    In small mixing bowl, combine grounded oatmeal, mashed banana, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder and sweetener of choice. Add egg white and water and mix thoroughly. Pour into a mini loaf pan sprayed lightly with non-stick spray. Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.

You can substitute the banana for your choice of fruit. Also, these loaves freeze well so you can make several of them at once and store them in the freezer.

What would a serving size weigh? Would you happen to have nutritional info handy?

Thank you!
    :iluvcoffee:

14. Inatic

that is one serving/mini loaf : )
    This fits with on plan 'conversion' basing off of a plan that might have
    abt 1/2 serv of fruit,
    40g oats
    and
    5-6 eggwhites.
    She just used a portion of the egg whites and makes a veggie/spinach quiche with the rest

15. patti

patti Active Member

Thank you!