Washing running shoes

Discussion in 'Health & Beauty' started by Valkyrie, Nov 14, 2006.

1. Valkyrie

Valkyrie New Member

Mine smell. Options: front loading washing machine and hands in sink. Suggestions? Experiences?

2. linds

linds embracing the wonderful mess

as ridiculous as it sounds try putting them in the freezer overnight or 24 hours if you can. I don't know if it kills the bacteria or what but mine don't smell after

3. AugustGirl

AugustGirl Member

I always wash my Nike Shox in my front-load washer. Don't put them in the dryer though. I just let them air dry overnight and they're good to go. I love freshly washed running shoes :)

4. Valkyrie

Valkyrie New Member

Ok, thanks. AugustGirl, do you recommend gentle cycle or no turn?

5. radgirl

radgirl Give me da candy!!!

Val, I've actually washed and dried my shoes in the "regular" machines. I even wash them with my clothes. No problems whatsoever. In fact, they almost feel new! Give it a try! :)

6. AugustGirl

AugustGirl Member

Hi Val :) I actually use the normal cycle and they hold up just fine. But I'm sure the gentle cycle would be great too, if you want to be extra careful

7. Valkyrie

Valkyrie New Member

Cool. *runs down to toss them in now* The girls are work will be pleased.

8. AugustGirl

AugustGirl Member

How did they come out? :)

9. Lynny

Lynny I like me.

I wash mine in the washer all the time and they're fine. i think they might shrink a tad...but they get good and clean ;)

10. AugustGirl

AugustGirl Member

exactly. Mine shrink a little (or so it seems) but after a day of wearing them they stretch right back out :)

11. Liz

Liz Member

I don't know if you absolutely have to, but I usually take the insole out of mine before I throw them in the washer. I dont want it to break down.

12. K8T

K8T Member

Thanks Guys

I always wanted to know if this was okay.....I have three pairs in the washer right now (for the 1st time).

13. Vtek33

Vtek33 New Member

Oxi Clean works wonders for the smell.

14. jmrut22

jmrut22 New Member

Well I tried wiping the outside off with damp cloth and bleach. Took the insides (insoles) out and threw them in the wash with baking soda and threw the insoles in the dryer for 10-15 minutes then let them air dry. They smell much better now. I just hate that smell and dont know what else to do except buy new shoes.

15. tintintgb

tintintgb Member

I put mine in the top rack of the dishwasher - without dishes of course. Works pretty god and you don't get that banging around sound that you get in a washing machine.

16. AugustGirl

AugustGirl Member

that's a good idea! Never thought of that. Will have to try :)

17. Marrla

Marrla Member

I put baby powder in mine too, to help absorb sweat... dunno if it helps or not, but it sure does smell better! haha

18. Neely

Neely lolz

^ That's what I do with all of my ball caps and visors. After wearing them to the gym they get to smelling just as bad as my tennies. When they're done washing i just put them over a bowl (loosely, not pressed way down) and that keeps them from losing their shape.

19. KatieB

KatieB Fake It Until You Make It

I'm so glad I found this thread - I was wondering about this the other day. It just doesn't make any sense to wear the same dirty shoes day in, day out - I wouldn't do that with pants or a sweater lol...

My new apartment has a dishwasher - I might have to try that!

20. Marrla

Marrla Member

haha-- you doooo make an excellent point! Annnd we sweat a ridiculous amount through our feet each day... ewwwies!