Upping calories - with what?

Discussion in 'Diet, Nutrition and Supplements' started by mybell, May 3, 2006.

1. mybell

mybell Working my ass off

As per Thunders advice, I'm upping my calories to maintance level (for how long? not sure yet) I know this is pretty silly question, but after putting in what I would normally eat today I'm out about 250 calories. What should I add to my food? more protein, carbs, fat? or just a good combination of all 3?

I think this is bothering me a bit, because of the old diet mentality, I've never really tried to maintain my weight. I've either ate too much, or tried to lose.

I don't know how I'm going to do it when I want to put on muscle after I've leaned down.

2. Erik

Erik Admin

Post your macro totals.

That said, the most important thing, assuming adequate protein, is going to be getting the calories to maintenance. What you use to get them there, within reason of course, is secondary.

3. krispy1138

krispy1138 Guest

I upped to maintenance a few weeks ago and am now in my second week at maintenance. Feel free to PM me or visit my journal if you have questions or want support - I know it can be hard mentally to eat more than you're used to, especially when you're trying to lose fat.

Also, I have felt great since I upped my calories and don't think I've gained much, if any weight (I won't weigh myself but none of my clothes feel tighter).

4. mybell

This is including what I'll be having for dinner and a small protein/carb meal in the evening.

Calories - 1941
    Protein - 184gr
    Carbs - 155 grs
    fat - 68grams (almonds and udo's oil)

goal is 2150 calories

5. Strive2Define

Strive2Define Banned

I have the perfect thing for you to up your calories with.
    Feel free to visit either the chat section OR the recipe section... :lol:

6. Erik

Erik Admin

This is including what I'll be having for dinner and a small protein/carb meal in the evening.

Calories - 1941
    Protein - 184gr
    Carbs - 155 grs
    fat - 68grams (almonds and udo's oil)

goal is 2150 calories [/b][/quote]
    What do you weigh?

My first thought is to add more carbs.

7. knickers

knickers New Member

I can relate to your situation very well, as I'm sure many of you have at one point or another along the way. I have upped my calories from 500 or so to nearly 2000 now over the course of 4 months. It didn't have to take as long as it did, but it was more a mental battle for me and in order to continue with my progress, I had to take it a bit slower. Congrats on all your efforts and I wish you continued success and the attainment of your goals. Good luck.

8. mybell

What do you weigh?

My first thought is to add more carbs. [/b][/quote]
    150 - 153lbs... depends on the day.

9. Erik

Erik Admin

I'd add carbs.

10. mybell

This is what I ended up with for today.

Calories 2153
    Protein - 168 gr
    carbs 196 gr
    fat 82 gr

How does that look?

11. Erik

Erik Admin

Pretty good.

Maybe a bit more protein and a bit less fat, but as I said, that's secondary to the fact that you get your calories up there.

12. Scrooge McDuck

Scrooge McDuck New Member

Does it actually matter what macronutrient she adds? I just read the macronutrient thread, and I thought it didn't matter which macronutrient she added. As long as the calories are proper, she will achieve her goals. Am I wrong? And why up her carbs, instead of fats or proteins?

Quack quack!! :angel:

13. clsupnorth

clsupnorth 'Kooky' Vegetarian

Yeah, what's so bad about upping with fats? Especially good fats (nuts, udo's oil, flaxseed oil, peanut butter). Mmmmmm........

14. mybell

Pretty good.

Maybe a bit more protein and a bit less fat, but as I said, that's secondary to the fact that you get your calories up there. [/b][/quote]
    I will have to watch the fats, even though it came from Udo's oil and almonds, I tend to go to eating lots of nuts if given the freedom.