Tuna Pancakes

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by tsunamii, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Blondell

Blondell Former Postwhore

I didn't use cc at all.....only a couple of whites and oats (the oats gave a really nice texture.

2. cinqly

cinqly Member

Ok, I just made these and let me say YUMMY! The first few turned out crappy, but the last few I made turned out well. I adjusted the recipe a little, though, cuz I thought it would be a little too wet with 1/2 cup CC AND a whole egg, so I just added 2 cans of tuna. I cooked them at about 5 minutes a side (large cakes), and they flipped well, and tasted crispy and great!

bdd814: I would think that omitting the CC and adding oats would make it more like a crab cake consistancy (which would be totally good!). I guess the oats could take the place of breadcrumbs in a crab-cake style recipe? I'm not exactly sure why the CC was added in the first place, except to boost protein and make the 'batter' a little wetter.

Either way they're good!

Edit: Oh yeah, forgot. Next time i am going to make them on my griddle as opposed to a pan. Hopefully they'll be easier to flip and cook evenly. :p

3. sprite

sprite Banned

Do they fall apart when cooking them?

4. cinqly

cinqly Member

The first 2 I made, I didn't let them cook long enough before trying to flip them (only about 3 min), and they totally fell apart. The next time around, I made them slightly smaller (about 3 in across), flattened them with the spatual (carefully) and let them cook a good 5 minutes on the first side (med heat? possibly med-high). Then I carefully loosened the edges with the spatula, gently slid it underneath, and flipped. Another 5 minutes on the other side. I knew they were ready to flip when the spatula would slip under without too much smushing. That was my experience, and only my first. But I will definately make these again. They were a big hit with the crowd at my house, smushed or not!

Good luck!

5. Iron_Maiden

Iron_Maiden New Member

LMAO @ the pancake comments :p

These look like a tasty was to enjoy tuna w/o mayo. I will have to try them S O O N.

6. JivaGirl

JivaGirl Well-Known Member

That's how I make them too. Takes a few times to get it right so they don't fall apart, but I use the recipe given and they stay together just fine as long as I cook them long enough.

7. Blondell

I just finished cooking some of these for tomorrow :cool:

8. aggies1ut

aggies1ut Member

First time, they completely fell apart trying to cook them like pancakes. This time, I baked them. I was going to make a crustless quiche, but then changed my mind. They took FOREVER to bake at 350 though. The cottage cheese and egg whites makes it a little runny, so you have to cook them an extra long time. Still good though. :p

9. Minou

Minou New Member

I'm tempted to make these and bring them to the office just so I get the "whiny babies" :baby: at the office complaining. I always have to put up with the smell of their greasy food.

10. JivaGirl

I adjusted the recipe yesterday with a little less stuff:

I used 2 egg whites instead of 1 egg and 1/4C cc instead of 1/2. They still taste delicious and cooked in about half the time.

11. Strive2Define

Strive2Define Banned

These sound delish and I have bought all the ingredients to cook them but the one thing holding me back is that no one has mentioned the nutritional stats on them.
    Does anyone have a clue? Pandora?? You are usually pretty good at figuring things like this out?Thanks

12. rachel.

rachel. EP Boardoholic

120g tuna = 130cal
    1/4c cc = 50cal
    1/2c egg whites = 50cal

Does that help? :)

13. Blondell

these are on the menu for today :drool:

14. Tearose

Tearose Focused and On Fire

I just made these but i used a 1/2 c. dry oats as well, its yummy!

15. Sarawithanh

Sarawithanh Banned

I made them again last night - I hope they taste better than the last batch I made a few weeks ago.

apparently I smelled up the apartment - boyfriend was some kind of PISSED when he got home to his apartment smelling like canned tuna - he HATES canned tuna with a PASSION.

:shrug: I didnt realize the apt still smelled...the batch I made a few weeks ago didn't smell up the apartment :baby:

He woke me up pissed as all hell looking for the air freshener spray. Told me never to make the apartment smell like that again. :oops: :finger: I can't say I don't blame him....he says the smell of canned tuna is wretched.

suggestions on ensuring no smelly apartment next time I cook them? I guess make sure all the dishes and stuff are properly cleaned and that the tuna can is nowhere in sight?

16. rachel.

rachel. EP Boardoholic

open windows

air fresheners

stove fan on :lol:

17. JivaGirl

All of the above and I burn incense afterwards! :lol:

18. farellas

farellas Guest

I can't stomach tuna until I tried these! YUM! Definitely do what everyone suggests and use low heat. I did mine without the cottage cheese and found it needed a few tablespoons of oatmeal to absorb some of the liquid. I used a tablespoon of Ken's honey mustard on top. So good! Thanks for the recipe!

19. bugaboo

bugaboo Resident Fatty

Ok, I made these tonight. Used 1 can tuna, 1/2 cup oats, and 1 egg. I added a little asian seasoning, and garlic powder. Wow! It was actually pretty good. I just had a small piece that fell off, but it reminded me of the fried fish sangwiches I used to love! I'm so excited! I know I can't eat it on a bun with tartar sauce, but will go with the salad underneath. Thanks!

20. Blondell

you could try ff mayo mixed w/ a small amount of relish ;)