TTC and leanness??

Discussion in 'Fitness & Pregnancy' started by kszal, Aug 16, 2006.

1. kszal

kszal moo cow!

So my hubby and I are going to TTC in a couple of months.

I've been going back and forth about what to do in the meantime. Is it wise to try to get leaner, or will that just be totally counterproductive on the TTC front? Ladies that have recently gotten pg or are trying, what are you doing? Should I just maintain until then?

In an ideal world, I would like to be smaller - not necessarily leaner. But I don't know whether trying to do that before TTC is a good idea or not.

Thanks!

2. LUVPINK222

LUVPINK222 Well-Known Member

in my not so professional opinion I would say to maintain. I think it's harder to get pregnant the leaner you are.

3. colo1278

colo1278 I'm growing a person!

I'm not very lean right now and am having some trouble ttc, so being heavier doesn't guarantee pg obviously. But the leaner some girls get, the more likely they are to lose their periods or have irregular cycles which can make it harder ttc. If your cycles are irregular, you can use ovulation test kits still which tell you when you are about to ovulate (i.e. when to have sex) so that could still work.

However, you will need a certain amount of "maternal fat stores" to have a healthy pregnancy also, and that amount is not known scientifically.

I used to go to a trainer who was ripped as all get out and said she got pregnant just fine at that level of leaness, but also mentioned she never lost her period.

Right now, I am trying to get leaner because then I look better to my hubbs and feel sexier in general- which makes it easier to get my husband interested in trying in the first place! :)

good luck to you!

4. rogmel

rogmel back in the game!

are you having regular periods??? if so, then i say stay status quo.......dont mess with a good thing....and a "regular " cycle, in a perfect world is a good thin when TTC....

5. Tina

Tina Well-Known Member

What she said. It depends on how lean you're talking..it helps to have some fat.

How exciting!

6. strongchick

strongchick Well-Known Member

K - according to my literture, you need at LEAST 17% bodyfat for ovulation (of course there are exceptions, but that is the research), and it is recommended to be closer to 20%. Remember, fat releases estrogen which is ESSENTIAL for ovulation. more fat also = healthier pregnancy, less risk of miscarriage, less risk of premature birth, etc.

Don't run into my problem.

7. kszal

kszal moo cow!

Thanks ladies. So how do I know how much bf I have? :unsure:

8. colo1278

colo1278 I'm growing a person!

if you search around on here, you'll see various arguments about the validity of people's body fat claims- seems like most methods are highly unreliable. I think the test where they dunk you in water is one of the more reliable, but Thunder has mentioned another one before I think, that everyone is hailing as the best method... but I can't remember what it is called.

9. strongchick

strongchick Well-Known Member

You can take a test, but K...you know your body isn't working that great as it is, and I think trying to be more lean is a bad idea....

10. SunnyAZ

SunnyAZ New Member

It may be best to speak to your physician who knows all your relevant medical history. They may be able to then give you recommendations regarding exercise and leanness to best help you conceive when you are ready. Great luck to you!

11. SunnyAZ

SunnyAZ New Member

Oops! I'm a bit embarrassed! Just noticed this thread was 6 years old :)