trap dominant, how to avoid growing while building shoulders?

Discussion in 'Training' started by fitforfat, Apr 3, 2011.

1. fitforfat

fitforfat Member

I am incredibly trap dominant and it overpowers my physique. I have eliminated exercises like DB shoulder press and upright rows and now basically do lateral raises (though, I can still feel my traps working) and rear delt work.

Any suggestions for an effective shoulder workout that will minimize trap work? Or positioning alterations?

• Like Like x 1
  2. char-dawg

char-dawg Mr. Observant

Not a workout per se, but whenever you're doing laterals, concentrate on raising the weight AWAY from the body. This sounds like one of those "duh" pieces of advice, but you'd be surprised how few people can do it right. Try a set with light weight, and act like you're trying to simultaneously place the DBs on shoulder-height tables that are just a liiiittle too far away. Watch yourself carefully in the mirror and you'll see the difference.

3. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

Re the traps.
    I focus hard to push them down when doing any shoulder or back back work(lat pull downs) and that has helped a LOT! I used to have much bigger traps.

Thank you!

4. Erik

Erik Admin

1) There is an exercise called Wall Angels, but YouTube just shows scapular wall slides which aren't really what we're looking for.

Stand with the back and head against the wall and feet maybe 6 inches away from the wall. Starting with the hands at the sides, SLOWLY raise the arms up to about 70 degrees. You should be able to reach this position without any upper trap involvement. I know people who when first trying this could hardly get their arms off of their sides without their traps coming on.

Palms should be facing forward and you just raise them up to about 70 degrees as though you were doing a lateral raise (arms against the wall) with a slightly shortened range of motion.

The difference is that you move very slowly and the second the traps come on you stop where you are, relax them and focus on dropping the shoulders, then continue on slowly through the range of motion (until the traps come on again which will probably be immediate).

The overall focus of this exercise is to be able to perform the lateral raise to 70 degrees with no upper trap involvement.

When your feel traps kick in, STOP, focus on allowing the upper traps to relax and drop the shoulders (with the arms remaining where they are). Hold this position for a couple seconds and then SLOWLY resume raising your arms and stopping to relax every time your traps fire below 70 degrees. Do 5 reps of these at least once daily. Over time you should be able to get up to 70 degrees with your traps relaxed.

2) Prone Y's. Start with the version in video #3 if you can't perform the previous version without your upper traps taking over. Either way, I'd start with the wall version to get the right feel in the lower/mid traps and then work towards the more challenging ones.

http://markyoungtrainingsystems.com/2010/06/prone-y-and-scapular-control/

3) Make sure to stretch your upper traps prior to all upper body work. For rows and shoulder work I'd include it between each set to minimize their contribution. As a bonus, this will make the target muscles work harder since the traps can't take up the load.

5. fitforfat

fitforfat Member

You are all awesome awesome awesome, thanks!

6. Inatic

:bump:

I was at my voodoo doc (ART/Chiro -Vic's name for them :lol: )

and we were talking about my delts/my traps taking over..

anyhoo. Doc (who is HUGE and a lifter (Erik not dr H. /partner ) said that i should go above 60 degrees. Is that ok to do or am I not getting full range of movement.

what is the maximum degree we should be going for?

7. Patricia

Patricia Well-Known Member

That you shouldn't go above 60 degrees? Is this in re to lateral raises?

8. Inatic

hey P.. NOT go higher (typed to fast/ didnt proof read :oops: )
    and yes in regard to lateral raise.

Had to edit that... :sad:

Last edited: May 20, 2011