to lipo or not to lipo

Discussion in 'Health & Beauty' started by Barbj, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Barbj

Barbj Member

Anyone have liposuction with a tummy tuck? I've had the tummy part as part of my mastectomy but now have nice love handles. I'm debating about doing lipo in a few weeks. The implants are covered as part of my mastectomy but the lipo of course is not. It scares me a little b/c I have heard that fat goes elsewhere. Anyone recommend it or not? I am trying to be really tight on my diet until surgery to see if I can avoid it but wanted to know other's thoughts.

2. zonedriven

zonedriven Member

My opinion on this is NO.

3. cdnmom2girls

cdnmom2girls Member

:ditto:

Lipo is just a temporary quick fix ( and an expensive one at that!). What you want is to change the habits that got you to this point, whether it be too much food, too much/not enough exercise, etc. Change your habits, educate yourself on how much you should be eating, and what you should be eating by reading through the information on this forum. Measure and track your food, and you'll be amazed at how simple - though not easy - true, sustainable weight loss really is.

4. baybygirl31

baybygirl31 Member

I'd also say to start with diet and training, and see how far that can take you. I'm amazed at how much my body has transformed from changing my diet and training heavy. I've lost love handles I never thought I'd be able to get rid of.

5. brooket

brooket Active Member

Done it.

Yes, you will gain it in other places. I gained in my arms and they looked like pork chops. Also, it is very painful. I wish I would not have spent the $$ and did as the ladies have said, diet and training. It will take care of much more than you think, it just takes time.

It also left me with 'uneveness' in spots. Maybe only I can tell, but when I have a few pounds on me, I can see the little 'pockets' that were overlooked.

6. Scarl3tbutt3rfly

Scarl3tbutt3rfly Motivated and ready!!

This^^ If you don't fix your habits, the fat will just come back anyway. It is like gastric bypass, alot of surgeons will not go through that procedure until you have shown that you can change your eating habits. Of course with that is to avoid risk of rupture. But regardless. Yes it takes longer, but it will also last longer.

That is interesting Brooke. I never really thought it would leave pockets, but I guess makes sense, you are removing fat cells, and so that area is not going to as prone as getting as big as other areas. So your arms probably grew or seemed to get bigger, the fat had to go somewhere and since there was less fat on your tummy it went to your arms, legs, etc.

7. Barbj

Barbj Member

Thanks Ladies!

I am working on my diet as we speak and it definitely makes a difference. My diet has never been horrible but I've also never had a 6 pack! What got me into this is 4 kids in 5 years and 2 of them were twins where I gained 70 lbs! I never lost all the weight from my 2nd child before getting preggo with the twins. Then, when I had the mastectomy, well, my shape is just different now. I think I will avoid the lipo at least on my belly. I don't want the pocket effect!!

8. mackie

mackie With my hero, Brigitte Gabriel

Good decision! And best wishes with your surgery. I'm glad the implants are covered!

9. zonedriven

zonedriven Member

Yep...me too. I thought it would help with fat accumulation on my legs, but I swear some of my "cellulite" that I see is from the actual procedure (just an overall unevenness). I was stupid enough to go back and have more... It was very painful, and the second time I opted for just the pill for sedation (since it was a "touch up") and I can remember (although it was foggy) telling the doctor that he was hurting me, and then he started yelling at me and the nurses...it was a nightmare.

Another friend of mine went to the same guy...and he really messed her up. Her arms are horrible...lumpy, bumpy...and she has HUGE dents in her legs. She was too overweight to have it done in the first place...but he wanted her money. Nuff said.

10. brooket

brooket Active Member

Sorry to hear about that. Yes, it hurt like hell. I am sorry about your friend, too. They actually have to leave some fat so it isn't bumpy. Natural is way better and cheaper, NOTHING like the real thing, baby!

11. Samual

Samual New Member

In my opinion "No". There are other safe ways to reduce overweight like exercise,healthy diet and supplements.
    The combination of these three factors help to reduce weight.

12. Fit and Fab

Fit and Fab New Member

I do agree. Lipo is not an option to lose weight. The way to reduce weight is to make sure that the amount of food intake should be almost proportional to the amount of fats you burn in a day. The more food you take in, the more time you may spend in exercise. In addition, trying to stay away from sweets such as chocolates, sodas, candies, and other food with no nutritional value like chips may help in reducing weight.

Exercise doesnt mean you have to go the gym and all to lose some pounds. You may shed off fats by just working at home such as cleaning the car, cleaning the house, doing the dishes, and etc. Therefore, lipo is not really an option. There are other ways to keep you looking great and fabulous.

13. Emma

Emma Member

My best mate had it a few years ago and also just had the twilight sedation and she came out of it muttering "diet and exercise, diet and exercise, never doing that again".

She'd regained the weight within a year. A few years ago she did in to great shape the right way, post divorce, but has rebounded again. I don't think she'll ever go the lipo route again and I think she looks gorgeous as she is. She's African and she carries the little extra roundness beautifully and turns heads everywhere. It just goes to show that we are our own worst enemies and are rarely aware of our own assets.

14. sillysarah

sillysarah New Member

This is a bit of a late reply I recently looked at Lipo and all the different new methods but I also have quite a bit of loose skin (I just think its all fat but apparently its skin as well) especially on my stomach and lower back - I went to quite a few different places and asked heaps of questions and all basically said Lipo would be worst for me becuase it would leave me with even more skin, this is something i hadnt really thought about. The worst area would be the love handles:) There are new methods which involve treatment reactivating/regenreating collagen growth, its not a have it done today see the results tomorrow method apparently it takes up to 6 months you have to give your body time to regenerate the collagen - I dont know that much about it there were only a couple of places that i went to that offered it. I think some do it by Laser and some by ultrasound.
    Hope this helps

15. Babydoll

Babydoll New Member

I had it with my tummy tuck, and don't regret it at all. My tummy is flat every day, all day. Sure, after a year the fat did seem to accumulate on my butt and upper thighs a bit more than before, but when I keep my diet in check it tightens up pretty fast. I don't have any weird pockets or lumps because of it, but I'm sure that all depends on who does it and how good they are. My advise if you are considering it is ask your doc if he has pre/post, and 1-2 year post pictures of past clients to see their results. And talk to some of them to see if they are happy with it.

Also, FYI to everyone else, any reputable doctor won't do lipo as a weight loss surgery, it is merely a reshaping tool to help achieve the ideal final result. Sure, you will lose some weight, but that really isn't the main intention of the procedure. And if someone eats like crap before and continues to eat like crap after of course is going to have less than optimal results long term. But that would be the same without lipo too, lol!

16. brownnm

brownnm New Member

I have a friend who did lipo with similar results as most of the comments on this thread. Another friend tried Endermologie. Not to take place of diet and exercise but instead to get her lymphatic system moving and get rid of some of the toxins that built up near the lymph nodes. Her results showed from her diet and exercise but the Endermologie helped smooth out her dimples and small pockets of fat by her knees and hips.

17. Amanda14v

Amanda14v New Member

I wanted lipo for the longest time but never thought that you could be left lumpy. Thanks for starting this thread, will certainly be sticking to my diet and work out program instead!

18. saraj7

saraj7 New Member

I agree with the comments above, I think lipo is just an expensive surgery with temporary results. I swear if you watch one episode of " The Biggest Loser" you'll have motivation like no other to go workout! And you'll get long-lasting results and you'll be healthier and happier. Think about your options before you commit to lipo.

19. jlg67

jlg67 New Member

Have a friend who had it done twice, both times poor results and with a bad diet it came right back.

20. melpfaf

melpfaf New Member

My short answer is "Don't do it!" :) My long answer is that traditional liposuction will definitely cause you to store any fat you do gain in other (often weird) places. I work in esthetics and read in a trade journal that studies show women who get liposuction end up storing fat in their upper back and shoulders (!) even when they make a conscious effort to control their weight through diet and exercise. It is theorized that removing fat cells interrupts/confuses the body's hormonal messages and causes your body to store fat more easily and in all the wrong places since fat cells have been removed from natural storage areas. A POTENTIALLY better option would be the newer laser-type lipos that liquefy and expel the contents of fat cells instead of actually removing them as this would THEORETICALLY avoid tripping the hormonal feedback loop, but these procedures just haven't been around long enough to know the true ramifications and we usually just can't fool our bodies! Plus, if we don't learn how to master the behaviors/processes of weight loss/maintenance the good old fashioned way, it's unlikely we will ever have long term success ya know?