Time to train my husband!

Discussion in 'Beginner Training & Nutrition' started by kirstny, Jul 9, 2009.

1. kirstny

kirstny Well-Known Member

Yay! He asked me to write him a 5 day program (weights and cardio).

He's VERY overweight, but he's strong. All we have at home (where he'll be working out) is: a treadmill, a stationary bike, and a bowflex adjustable db set (up to 32.5lbs each side, or about that).

I know, I'm a trainer, but this isn't just a client, it's my guy! It's hard to be objective. :lol: I want to give him something doable and effective, but not too time intensive. I want it to be encouraging, not discouraging.

I'm thinking:
    maybe circuit style lifting? I mean, 1 set of chest, 1 set of back, 1 set of legs (all compound movements); repeated 2x to start (maybe start at 12+ reps, just to get his ligaments, etc. ready and get used to the routine). Follow it with 20-30 min. SS. Then intervals on the 2 days in-between?

What do you guys think?

This is HUGE that he's asking for my help in this.
    I just hope this mood lasts!
    :bannana:

2. kirstny

No one?
    :wavesad:

3. Anca

Anca Well-Known Member

Congrats on getting your hubby to start working out! :thumb:
    I've been designing my hubby's workouts for a year (even before I got my NSCA-CPT). He's been doing PSMF for 8 months and is down 45 lbs. ( :clap: ) He's only been doing weights since his calories are so low.
    How is your husband's diet going to look like? Does he understand that the diet will be the biggest factor in his weight loss? Hopefully he does and he sticks to it- otherwise there's potential for the "your workouts are not helping me lose weight" discussion.
    Anyways- since he doesn't go to the gym, your options are limited; but it can still be done. Here's what I would give him:
    Mo- UBWO (you could use a backless chair as a 'bench' for now but really should look in your local Penny Saver paper for a used weight bench with incline; we got our first one for under $80 years ago; you could also get a stability ball big enough for his height and weight; so many ways that can be used)
    Tue- treadmill (SS for now if he can't handle intervals yet, walking if he can't run)
    Wed- BW circuit workout (choose easier exercises, lower reps and longer rest times until his endurance improves; include core and abs exercises but also UB exercises such as push-ups- on knees if need be- and LB exercises such as jump squats)
    Thu- off
    Fri- LBWO (not too many options for this one... I guess DB squats, DLs and lunges will have to do it; possibily super-sets with higher reps/shorter rests since the heaviest weights available are 32.5 lbs)
    Sat- stationary bike (see if he can handle 30/60 intervals on it)

4. kirstny

Thanks so much for responding, Anca!
    :love:

He has not said anything about diet and does NOT want my help with that. He understands how important it is, but he never wants to do a structured meal plan. From the past, I know that once he starts working out he starts eating better and loses weight. His diet is now so crappy, that just small changes make a big diff in his weight.

Given that he isn't going to, at least at first, make changes to his diet, think I should add more cardio than you suggested? Or, do you think it's enough (given this new diet info)?

I was thinking full body 2-3x week. I see you suggest a split. Why's that? Not challenging you, just looking for more explanation.

Oh, and I'm dumb. :dope: I forgot that we have a bench (that does an incline).

Thanks so much for your help!
    :shakeithappy::love:

5. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

Just a thought?:
    is he really(expecting) going to see much change if he only exercises and doesnt make some modifications to his diet. What might likely happen is he'll get frustrated and say why bother?

He should not be running at all if he is so over wt. Walking for sure. Get moving.. NEAT...Anything is more than he was doing..

See how he does on just starting out, then evalulate for intervals. Is he cardiac fit to handle that in his condition? Im not sure i'd start bike intervals (yet)

6. kirstny

He knows diet is the biggest thing. Any time he's started working out, his diet has come around too (working out, for him, is the first step that gets him headed towards weight loss). I'm sure he'll make changes in his diet, it's just NOT something he wants my help with.

I was thinking moderate intervals and definitely no running. Last time he tried running, his ankles hurt. He's just too heavy to run or jump around.

Ileen (and others, please!) what do you think as far as the plan for his lifting..?

7. Anca

Anca Well-Known Member

Full body 2-3 times/wk would be fine too; you can change it up every 4-6 weeks between that and an upper/lower split. There are no hard and fast rules here. :shrug: You just want to maximize calorie burn since it doesn't sound like his diet will take care of that. And he'll be working out at home 5 days/wk- hellooooo, boring! Make sure you give him a nice variety in his workouts (as much as you can with the limited equipment available).