Thyroid Testing and information

Discussion in 'Health & Beauty' started by Inatic, Mar 19, 2009.

1. novamt

novamt Member

I got copies of all my previous bloodwork and see several <i> next to the numbers. Does anyone know what this means? Thanks!

2. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

pm me your numbers with ranges. Might be IN range?

3. novamt

novamt Member

Pm'd you, thanks!

4. avbduffy

avbduffy New Member

Hi - I am new to the boards and originally was on here to learn but tonight I received the call from my endo that my lab results are in and they are worse than they were 3 months ago...so we need to figure out treatment. So my options are medication or radiation - Oh I guess I should say that I have been in a stand still for almost a year because I have Graves and Hashimoto the Dr was waiting to see which one was going to win and it looks like Graves has won. Thoughts/recommendations? I have symptoms of both auto immunities - and of course I have the worst of both - acne and over weight (Hashimoto) and tired and shaky hands (Graves). I am so new to all of this...not sure if I should go for a second opinion...such a scary time.
    Thank you in advance for your time.
    Angelica

5. Inatic

Angelica what a tough place to be in. Some 22 yrs ago I had Graves and I suspect possibly hashi's too. Doc treated the Graves with PTU (medication) and then i got pregnant with our 4 son. The antibodies etc supposedly went into remission and I no longer needed treatment.. Eventually after our 5th son, The hashi's flared and I went very hypo.

There is a really good Graves Disease (and hashimoto site here:http://www.elaine-moore.com/

Let us know how things work out for you :hug:

6. avbduffy

avbduffy New Member

Thank you so much for the link - you are the second person to refer me to the same link today....it must be really informative!
    I hope to schedule a meeting with the Dr and my husband this week.
    Yikes - you have gone through it all with your thyroid...wow!
    Thanks again and I will post an update.
    Angelica

7. Amber.nicole

Amber.nicole Member

I feel like I keep repeating myself but I am so Thankful for this forum:hug:

Question for those of you that have used the pellets. I got mine on 2/13 and there is a pretty good (gumball) sized knot near the site. Its a little sore but doesn't bother me a bit. Has anyone else experienced this or should I be concerned?

Also, do you have any feedback on your experience?

8. ErinLeigh

ErinLeigh Member

Has anyone used OTC desiccated porcine thyroid? A few brands are Efra (Canada), Thiroyd, Thyroid-S, and Nutri-meds. I do not have health insurance, and as such, cannot afford to get labs run and run and run. What was your experience with this OTC stuff? THANKS!

9. Inatic

Erin, we cant support self medication. I hope you can find some help.

10. shimmeringpearl

shimmeringpearl Member

Does anyone know of a doc in Little Rock that will do proper testing?

11. stephm2010

stephm2010 In Motion

Did you contact your compounding pharmacy for a referral? That is a good place to start. Always ask for a few as some are in bed with the doctors so to speak..

12. laurawd

laurawd Well-Known Member

interesting statements. Can you send the link for the 2nd one - about how the metabolism stays depressed for years? This is contrary to other things that I've read about metabolic suppression (also what I've read on bodyrecomposition.com). How do they know the metabolism stays depressed for years? That kind of statement warrants some data to back it up.

13. Inatic

I sent her a link.

14. stephm2010

stephm2010 In Motion

Sorry, I maybe didn't word it correctly on my first post. There is only one article. I gave two key points as I felt were relevant to chronic dieters although there is a lot of other great info as well. So not two articles, two points. :lol:

A study by Leibel et al. published in the journal Metabolism found that individuals who had lost weight in the past had a significantly lower metabolism than those of same weight who had not gained or lost significant weight in the past (48). The metabolism in the weight reduced patients was 25% less than an equal weight person who did not lose or gain significant weight in the past and equal to someone who weighed 60% less than they did. Additionally, the reduction was shown to be present years later.

This 25% percent reduction in metabolism equates to an approximate deficit of 500-600 cal per day. Thus, if the previous overweight person is to maintain the reduced weight he or she lost, he or she must either eat 600 cal per day less compared to a person of same weight who has not had a weight problem or must jog about 1 ½ hours per day to maintain the lost weight. This equates to approximately a pound per week of weight gain, explaining why weight is so quickly gained without continued very strict dieting. So many people who have difficulty keeping weight off don’t eat excessively but are continually told they are eating too much or they need to exercise more by people who have never had a weight problem. They are made to feel it is a character issue and that nobody believes how how little food they actually consume. Unless the physiologic thyroid dysfunction is corrected, any diet and exercise strategy is doomed.

I would love to have links to the actual studies that they reference here, so I can do a little more research. It's food for thought before jumping on to the chronic dieting bandwagon. However if you ask any coach that works with metabolic damage aka metabolic suppression aka metabolic adaptation they will tell you that in some cases the damage is too much and is not fully reversible. I think we are learning more and more about this, and that is subject to debate. This is one of the reasons we base calories on body weight right? Someone who once weighed 200lbs can generally not expect to maintain a 50 or 60 lb weight loss on the same calories they were eating at 200lb. That is a permanent metabolic suppression. Eat more, weigh more, for the most part. That's not to say you can boost your metabolic rate over time. It just isn't as cut and dry as people like to think, especially where hormones come in to play. One thing I have noticed and is no secret is that the body remembers. So even if you come back from metabolic suppression, if you diet again you are more prone to experience the same consequences. (not saying it can't be overcome). This article is based on metabolic suppression via reduced T3. It's hormone related. So if you can fix the hormones your on your way to healing the metabolism. It's becoming more and more common to ignore the similarities and call it coincidence that all of these competitors and chronic dieters are coming out and saying I have this hormonal issue or that hormonal issue and it's taking me years to fix it.

15. laurawd

laurawd Well-Known Member

Thanks for that info, Steph! From a quick read of the abstracts, it seems that, though the jury's still out, most studies find very little difference in RMR/TDEE between chronic dieters and their non-ED (eating disordered) counterparts, at the same bodyweight.

Gwyn Olwyn, from Youreatopia, insists that metabolic rate DOES recover, and that it's important to recover it quickly, as otherwise your body steals energy from bones, organs, to make up for chronic energy deficit...

I thought this blog (not academic, mind you), was apropos: http://www.barbellsandbeakers.com/2...-ever-recover-from-having-an-eating-disorder/

16. stephm2010

stephm2010 In Motion

I love youreatopia. I agree the jury is still out. I personally believe that the RMR can be recovered, however I feel like once you have messed with it, it becomes more susceptible to future consequences of the same nature. I also think we switch off our hungry/full mechanism and that it can't be trusted after having and trying to recover a supressed RMR lol. Thats is kind of what is mentioned in the youreatopia blog, when they talk about recovery. She says eat eat eat until you reach a bare mininmum of calories( can't remember the number). Tough thing to go through for sure.
    I will check out that blog because I love this stuff! So interesting, thank you!

17. Amber.nicole

Amber.nicole Member

I got some re-test results and am a bit confused? All looks good to me except for my testesterone.

Estradiol 1/31/2013 25.4 3/19/2013 49.6
    Ranges
    F 12.5-166
    O 85.8-498
    L 43.8-211
    P 6.0-54.7

Progesteron 1/31/2013 .3 3/19/2013 5.2
    Ranges
    F .2-1.5
    O .8-3
    L 1.7-27
    P .1-.8

Testosterone, Free, and total
    Testesterone Serum 1/31/2013---13 3/19/2013---146 Range/8-48

Free Testesterone (Direct) 1/31/2012---less than .2 3/19/2013----Will Follow Same ranges

I am being told that I need more test and am a bit confused because the one number appears to be high to me (and says so on the test results as well). I have no idea of what "Will Call" means but I am calling the Dr's office right now. Will post their reply shortly. Just wanted to get this out there because I am scheduled for more pellets tomorrow. Any body have any feedback as I still feel like crappola majority of the time.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  18. Inatic

Overlooked hormone key indicator in thyroid health an article

See below

19. cathymp

cathymp Well-Known Member

Very interesting, Ileen. I know that my last endo only wanted to look at the TSH and T4. He ordered the T3, but didn't really acknowledge the levels. Right now, Ken's doctor is only looking at TSH and T4. I cannot wait to get him to a new doc so that his T3 is reviewed properly.

20. Inatic

I go nuts when drs wont test T3 and they are prescribing meds with T3! Never mind not know if the T4 is converting :rolleyes: