Thyroid Testing and information

Discussion in 'Health & Beauty' started by Inatic, Mar 19, 2009.

1. mathgeek

mathgeek Member

Ileen - is there any coorelation between Hashimoto's and elevated pulse? I have read that it 'could' be a related but haven't been able to find anything definative. I just had my bloodwork done and my antibodies were off the charts (like really high) and I have been having problems with my HR when working out. Cardiologists wants me on beta blockers but I am wondering if it is more thyroid related. I put in a call to my Thyroid doctor this afternoon but it is a holiday weekend and probably won't hear back from him until next week.

I thought maybe you could provide some insight. Thanks!!

2. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

there was for me. Prior to being diagnosised and medicated, my heart would race. Medicated and it stopped.
    Sometimes it's also related to sex hormones as well or a vit/mineral deficiency.

3. Blondell

Blondell Former Postwhore

This thread has over 11,000 views.

4. Betty

Betty Member

you should also have your Iron/Ferritin levels checked! If your levels are low it causes your heart to work harder to pump that good oxygen through your body. I woudln't get on beta blockers until your figure out the main cause.

GL!!

5. Inatic

A good thyroid analogy/summary

Good thyroid Analogy C/0 Paul RObinson

6. mathgeek

mathgeek Member

So, I was referred to two of the 'best' endocronologists in the area. . .I had an appt with one on Tuesday - what a complete joke. Did you know the only two tests you need to run to see if your thyroid is working effectively is TSH and FreeT3? No others are needed and are a waste of money. Saying that, of course she is sending me for a thyroid ultrasound. The other doctor, first available is JANUARY 2!!!

Cardiologist has decided my problems are because of my thyroid. . .and I think the cardiologist needs to retire!! I have ordered copies of all of my tests (from all 4 doctors) and will work from there. Heck, right now I am willing to travel as far as necessary just to find a doctor that will actually look into what is going on instead of pointing fingers at other doctors.

7. Inatic

8. Inatic

9. Amber.nicole

Amber.nicole Member

Sorry if I have missed it, or haven't got to it yet, but does someone have the "normal" numbers somewhere? I am going to have everything checked on the 22nd and I want to double check my doctor. Also, has anyone had any experience with A New You Wellness Clinic? Fingers crossed that they know what they are doing.

10. Inatic

there is no normal. normal is a setting on a dryer.
    free T3 is optimal at 3/4th to top of range and Free T4 should be at least mid range.

11. ChloeP

ChloeP New Member

This thread has been so helpful. It took me 3 years to get my thyroid problem diagnosed properly, I've lost count of how many times I was told it was all in my mind. The number of comments/views on this thread is proof that the whole system needs reviewing.

• Like Like x 1
  12. JenBower

JenBower New Member

Ileen, I've been reading this thread and checking out the links as well. This Long Natural Health is here in Colorado. I am thinking about checking them out. I've been on a generic sythroid since August. I had my ob/gyn do my tests. I'm lucky that he will do prescriptions at the compounding pharmacy. I would like to get more detailed. I was told that I have/had hypothalamic amenorrhea. My thyroid gets messed up when I have kids (have 2) and I don't think I fully recovered after my youngest. I have cold fingers, toes and nose all the time, then at bed time I'm HOT!! I am also on bio-identical estrogen. My body doesn't absorb the cream so I have to take it pill form. I actually haven't gotten a refill in a week now, I'd like to get my levels tested again to see where I am at. I started on them 2yrs ago, my estrogen was a 21 and dropped all the way to 8 (back in Aug, and that is when I started taking the pill). I got tested again and it came up.
    I just want to find 'my' normal...I'm 33 and want to feel like a 33yr old ;)

13. Marilyn

Marilyn Member

Wow. After reading these posts I'm thinking I need to have my thyroid checked. Its been a while. I have no insurance though. Thyroid probs seems to run in our family. Been trying to figure out why I'm so tired all of the time.
    Pretty sure I'm peri-menopausal too. Oh, the joys....

14. Inatic

you can run your own labs fairly cheap. go to stopthethyroidmadness.com.. see labs. They have packages.

Ft3, Ft4 and TSh(part of package) is abt 78 dollars.

15. Marilyn

Marilyn Member

Just skimmed through some of the posts so if you already posted that info and I missed it, so sorry. :) Thanks so much for the info. So helpful!

16. Inatic

17. stephm2010

stephm2010 In Motion

I posted this on Facebook, but I thought I would put it here as well.

Ok here is one for the science types that want the why's of things and not just the answers.

For those that want just the answers Here are a couple key points. The first basically says that TSH is a crap test.

Due to a unique make-up of deiodinases in the pituitary, it will respond differently and often opposite to that of every other tissue in the body. Numerous conditions result in an increase in pituitary T3 levels while simultaneously suppressing cellular T3 levels in the rest of the body, making the pituitary, and thus the TSH, a poor indicator for tissue thyroid levels in the rest of the body under numerous physiologic conditions.

The second explains some issues with long term dieting and how it effects the thyroid, specifically T3

Acute or chronic dieting can result in a significant decrease in intracellular and circulating T3 levels by up to 50% (46,47,51,90), which significantly reduces basal metabolic rate (number of calories burned per day) by 15-40% (48,230,232). With chronic dieting, the thyroid levels and metabolism often do not return to normal levels; the body stays in starvation mode for years with significantly reduced metabolism despite the resumption of normal food intake, making it very difficult to lose or maintain lost weight .

Note the part that says the body stays in starvation mode for YEARS!

There is also some interesting things about inflammation, as well as exercise, and leptin close to the bottom.

Here is the article..

http://nahypothyroidism.org/deiodinases/

Deiodinases | National Academy of Hypothyroidism

18. JenBower

JenBower New Member

Had my annual appt today. Thanks to Ileen and this informative thread I had 4 vials of blood drawn. It's been since Aug when I had my thyroid/hormones checked. This time I dug deeper into the thyroid tests. Now I get to play the waiting game on the results!

19. stephm2010

stephm2010 In Motion

Good luck :) hope all turns out well.

20. JenBower

JenBower New Member

thank you Steph!!