Thyroid Testing and information

Discussion in 'Health & Beauty' started by Inatic, Mar 19, 2009.

1. ErinLeigh

ErinLeigh Member

Does anyone have PCOS along with Hypo? I was just diagnosed and prescribed an insulin sensitizer...

2. Debbie

Debbie Official since 2/15/2012

Very interesting article but the more I read the more confused I'm becoming. I've had these tests in the past month:

CBC
    Lipid Panel
    Ferritin/Stored Iron
    b-12
    vit D
    Free T3
    Free T4
    Thyroid Antibodies

All these tests came back in the "normal range". I had to go to three different docs and throw a fit to get these tests done. I'm wondering what I should do next. All my symptoms point to thyroid issues and I know something is not right. Does anyone know how they determine if the T4-T3 conversion is off?

3. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

normal is a setting on a dryer!
    what were the actual results.

4. Debbie

Debbie Official since 2/15/2012

:funny: Thanks Ileen! I sent you the results.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Inatic

6. aux5345

aux5345 New Member

Hi everyone! I am new to the boards and this is my first post. I am on the waiting list with Amy at Metabolic Mayhem. I have suspected a thyroid issue since the birth of my son 4 yrs ago. I was able to lose my baby weight over about six months after his birth but it was MUCH more difficult than previous times (he is my third). Since I quit nursing him I have put back on about 25 pounds (12 of which are over the last year). This is despite working out 5-6 days/week and attempting to diet. I have been eating at a level that I SHOULD be losing but in fact I have been slowly gaining. Talked to my GP at my check up one yr ago and she agreed to run a TSH which was 1.5. I was told this was "normal" and she refused to do anything further. Fast forward one year and I have continued to have symptoms. Puffiness/edema, fatigue, weight gain. Went to a Lab Corps place yesterday where you can order your own labs. Here are the results:
    TSH 3.03
    Free T3 3.4 (2.0-4.4)
    T4 Free 1.15 (.82-1.77)
    Thyroxine (T4)7.8 (4.5-12)
    T3 uptake 30 (24-39)
    Free Thyroxine Index 2.3 (1.2-4.9)

Thoughts? I do work in the medical field so I have some basic knowledge. What I want to avoid is going to my GP and being told it is "on the high end of normal but we'll just watch it." I live in the midwest and naturopaths are few and far between.

7. Inatic

Your tsh is too high. Your free T3 is only about midrange and your ft4 is slightly low. Did the dr test your thyroid antibodies? Vit D? will pm you.

8. Inatic

9. Scarl3tbutt3rfly

Scarl3tbutt3rfly Motivated and ready!!

10. Inatic

11. Inatic

http://thyroid.about.com/b/2012/08/...in-afternoon-tsh-tests-may-miss-diagnosis.htm

12. kaiZEN

kaiZEN New Member

Ileen, thanks so much for sharing this information. I was just diagnose with Hashimoto's and I am trying to figure out how to deal with it. I have had symptoms of hypothroidism forever, but every test came back negative until this year. I am on a pretty low dose of synthroid (500 mg), but I am pretty sure the dosing is wrong because I am still having symptoms although my energy and depression type issues have improved some. I also was dangerously low in vitamin D (interesting info above) and B12. I now take a supplement of Vitamin D to get my levels up to normal in addition to daily vitamin supplements and B12. I was fascinated by how I attributed so many biological functions being out of whack to work stress. I am learning how vital it is to be in touch with what is going on with you and pay attention.

Do you have any tips for getting your blood work read correctly and getting dosing help? Also, do you take Armour or a natural med instead of one of the synthetics (as stopthethyroidmadness recommends)? What is the comparison?

I am just trying to sort this all out and get back on track. I have felt terrible for years; at least now I know what I am dealing with and now I need a good strategy. Any help is appreciated!

13. kaiZEN

kaiZEN New Member

For those of you who have adrenal fatigue, and I am quite certain I do, what do you avoid? Caffiene? What do you take to help heal them? Supplements? Vitamins?

14. Inatic

'most' people with hashi's have trouble converting T4(synthroid) to T3 and need to supplement with t3. Synthroid might not be enough.

I take NDT but have used synthetic. As long as you get a combo that works right in the right ratios.

I sent you a pm.

15. Blondell

Blondell Former Postwhore

My doc ask for T3 tests everytime I have a blood test.

16. shellydisuja

shellydisuja New Member

Thanks for this useful information. One of my sister is suffering from this thyroid problem and because of it she gains so much of weight. She has taken almost all types of medicines for this but it is still the same. I thought it will be better if she do some good exercises of that to control it.

17. Inatic

B what were the results of ft3 and ft4. that is what is important.

Shelly, she might not be well optimized or she has other issues. Are you sure her test results match info given here.

Exercise can help but an exhausted undermedicated person can feel worse.

18. Blondell

I have no idea. I never even ask.

19. Inatic

alwaysssssssssssss get the copies of your blood work and keep it in a file.

on it write symptoms of what you are feeling, what meds you might be taking, Cycle time or issues with. Its important!

What if doc said normal and your about to fall out of range?

20. Blondell

Tried to rep ya. Gotta spread it around though.