Thyroid Testing and information

Discussion in 'Health & Beauty' started by Inatic, Mar 19, 2009.

1. OneMadMonkey

OneMadMonkey Well-Known Member

Do you know of a good natural doctor in Tampa, FL area?

2. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

try contacting compounding pharmacies in all areas you are willing to drive too. Not all nat. Docs are good at thyorid either. Explain to the pharmacists what you are looking for. They usually have some leads and some stay away from suggestions.

3. OneMadMonkey

Ok. Thanks!

4. talies1980

talies1980 New Member

im taking 20mcg of the T3 and 80mcg T4.
    my doc never run any other tests other than T3/ T4 and THS
    i went to doc because I do have a family history and i want feeling good (very irregular periods, tired all the time, etc)

5. Inatic

Your t3 level is still low dispite how much T3 you are taking. its ONE point in range. that is NOT optimal. You want to be on the higher end of range for optimal.

You might look into iron levels, ferritin and adrenals, along with reverse T3 and Sex hormones. Unbalance estrogen to progesterone ratios can also impact thyroid levels.

6. talies1980

talies1980 New Member

thank you Ileen

7. OneMadMonkey

Erik sent me a list of tests to try and have my endocrinologist do in 6 weeks when I see her. He also sent me a list of sex hormones to get checked with the directions that it's best to have the test on the 21st day of my cycle. Since I just started having an irregular cycle after a 5 year break, how do I know what day to do the testing if it gets approved?

8. Inatic

Good luck with the endo. Is that who you normally see or trying to see to get the testing?

9. LoriZ

LoriZ Member

I came back here after a couple years away because this is where I knew I could find the most complete info. Thanks to all. And now I need that info and advice.

Short version- I worked with Erik in 2012 or 13 and when following the same plan this time around I had no success. The only way I can lose weight is on really low calories. I went to a clinical nutritionist to see how I actually need to eat instead of just following another diet. Plus I had other issues. He ran blood tests which showed T4 low, T3 low, TSH in range, Test high, Vit D low (even though I've been supplementing 5,000/day) and other vitamin and mineral issues. Gave me a bunch of supplements and told me to follow a gluten, soy, dairy, corn, and caffeine free diet. And no white stuff (potatoes, etc) or sugar to avoid insulin spikes. He seems to think this all stems from my adrenals. I did consume an unhealthy amount of caffeine/stimulants throughout the day but I needed to to function.

I figured it can't hurt to try a natural solution, but now I'm not sure. I still don't know how to eat and if I'm getting enough of what I need to fuel my workouts. Should I just give this a chance or see an MD? It's only been about a week but I'm having buyers remorse and don't know where to go or what to do.

10. Fay

Fay Well-Known Member

From what I have learned, if you have these kinds of issues going on your body won't respond to "dieting". I think you will have to spend a period of time at maintenance calories (15 X BW) until you stop gaining and get your hormones optimized before you can expect to start making progress losing fat. I am just a follower and client, so hopefully Ilene will chime in here with her expert advice. If it is different than mine, go with hers. She speaks "thyroid" better than anyone I know. :)

Hugs!

11. LoriZ

LoriZ Member

I'm not dieting or trying to lose fat. I know I can't do that right now. I'm actually trying to gain strength. So I think I'd need carbs for that, but this guy says low carbs for adrenal repair. But low is relative. So I'm lost. Just don't know how much I trust this guy. I mean will an everything-free diet and a bunch of natural supplements really help?

I'd blow up on 15 X bw and I don't want to do that. I've already gained 15 lbs in 2 months on 12-13 x's but that's where I was planning on sticking around.

12. Inatic

You need a dr. Functional medicine dr is likely best. MOST of the time, vitamins and nutritional supplements will not fix a thyroid issue.

Low carb is not best for adrenal repair. Adrenals need 'sugar' (starches) the thyroid also does for conversion.

you can't go to bw x 15, at least not right now, you don't have real maintenance. For starters, can you share you labs with me. feel free to pm them if your prefer.

• Like Like x 1
  13. MrsTish

MrsTish Member

Hi Ileen .... Needing a good doc to evaluate my symptoms near Portland Oregon. I know you've helped before with adrenal stuff. This past week I thought I was having a heart attack but all comes back normal...the ER doc suggested my thyroid getting checked so ran tests...will find out a general result tomorrow. My naturopath is now in concierge care ~ UGH so need someone that will help !
    Thankyou in advance !!

14. Inatic

Check with compounding pharmacies. They are the best resources to drs that get it.