Thyroid Testing and information

Discussion in 'Health & Beauty' started by Inatic, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Doyle

Doyle New Member

Does anyone have a great Endo they know of in Northern California? Sacramento, San Francisco, etc?? I live in Redding, CA but am willing to drive 4-5 hr radius to find a good doctor.

2. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

have you tried contacting compounding pharmacies in your area? Call in areas you are willing to drive to. They usually have good resources.

3. avbduffy

avbduffy New Member

So now you guys have me worried - I've been on Methimazole for about 1 1/2 months and my Total T3 is very low 0.77 when the range is .079-1.58 - My TSH is almost untraceable my Free T4 is 1.04 (range .72-1.90) Free T3 2.6 (range 2.0-3.6).
    I have an appointment with my Endo in a couple of weeks - should I be worried about all of this?
    I feel like my metabolism is just shot - and the meds are making me so tired!
    Ugh!

4. Inatic

what were you diagnosised with?

5. avbduffy

avbduffy New Member

Sorry - Graves

6. Inatic

are they sure its just graves and not hashi's.

I'd ask to have labs re run and perhaps they can stop the meds and give you some T3.

7. Inatic

This is a really good site for Graves Disease Education. http://www.elaine-moore.com/

I had Graves and I suspect Hashi's. In the end it was Hashi's that almost took me down. My Graves was also treated with PTU (similar to what you are taking) and went into remission. Then hashi's reared its ugly head.

8. avbduffy

avbduffy New Member

I know I have both - and they waited over a year to see if the Hashi or the Graves took over and then the Graves started to stick out. They put me on these meds after a year of watching my number - these meds only has a 30% success rate after 18 months but they are hoping because of the Hashi I might have a better chance. But with reading about the T3 - it made me "panic". With my TSH below .01 and my T3 so low - my body is just confused!
    Going to read the website you sent me and see if I find anything - feeling so uneducated :-(

9. Inatic

10. Inatic

11. kirstny

kirstny Well-Known Member

Ileen, what tests would you say are essential in figuring out if you have hashimoto's?

12. Inatic

free T3, Free T4, Tsh, TG and TPO antibodies.

13. kirstny

kirstny Well-Known Member

Great, thanks!

14. Inatic

15. Inatic

16. Ile

Ile New Member

Hi Ileen,

Thank you so much for all the info.

I just discovered that my thyroid is very high and now I have to fight with my doctor.

I'm kind of fricking out

17. Inatic

you're welcome.

High? as in tsh is high or its functioning hi and you feel hyper?
    Discuss?

18. Ile

Ile New Member

Thank you Ileen,

I'm in Canada, the health system here is complety absurd. Erik suspected something wrong. I went to the dr, he didn't want to do all the test , until my TSH was abnormal. The TSH came back at 7.81, and also my crp came at 10.37, so I'm going back on Monday to fight for my other test. Its just ridiculous.

I have a lot of symptoms, super tired and needing naps, cold extremities, carpal pain on the right hand, lower back pain, having hard time losing weight, etc.

Which test should I really fight for?

Thank you in advanced

19. talies1980

talies1980 New Member

Hi Illen,
    I'm currently taking T3/T4 and just got my results back to see how medication is working for me. My t3 right now is 2.2 (range 2.3-4.2) t4 is 1 (range 0.70-1.53) and THS 0.39 (range 0.35- 2.1).
    My Dr. thinks i'm ok with current medication and said there is no need to adjust anything. What is your thoughts on that?
    Thanks in advanced...

20. Inatic

How much medication are you taking?
    THose are TAKING medicaiton? I
    Did doc run iron tests?
    Stored ferritin
    antibodies TPO and TGab?
    Reverse T3?