Thyroid Testing and information

Discussion in 'Health & Beauty' started by Inatic, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

If you suspect you may have thyroid issues, this site is very imformative.. Below is the link for Labs and also the explanation to understanding them.

This information is for both those seeking an inital diagnosis as well as those currently treated for thyroid disease (aimed more at HYPO T, though some information is there for Graves (HYPER T)

If your dr wont run the labs, there are even links for you to get them run on your own and have the lab drs interpret them for you.

General site info:
    www.stopthethyroidmadness.com

Possible signs/symptoms of Hypo T
    http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/long-and-pathetic/

Suggested Lab tests/ Understanding the lab work:
    http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/recommended-labwork/

Click on the various links through out to get a better understanding.

The best patient is an informed patient (though dont be surprised if some drs dont like that ;)

2. Erik

Erik Admin

3. patriciaann

patriciaann Active Member

very interesting. I had my blood checked and originally my physician did the TSH. I asked about thyroid - because I had super low iron:( - and adrenal testing and he said insurance wouldn't pay. I pushed and he agreed to push for the thyroid testing so I got the free T3, free T4, and reverse T3 tests done. Didn't show anything but I am glad that I did it. He wouldn't go for the adrenals though.

4. Inatic

you can order you own adrenal saliva testing. It's about a hundred dollars though.

5. patriciaann

patriciaann Active Member

Thanks for the suggestion Ilene:) I just feel that the insurance should pay for this. It irks me no end that you can't get tests, treatment until you are deathly ill and even then they don't want to pay for it. Just a bit of preventive medicine imo would go a long way to heading off catastrophic illness and I think the health care industry would save alot of money and have many more satisfied customers but hey just my opinion. LOL! Sorry sermonizing!

6. Inatic

Sarah, getting tested is only half the battle.. most of the battle is getting the results PROPERLY read..

:yell:

7. Inatic

Thyroid Tests explained:

Courtesy of koo
    originally posted on of my thyroid forums.

8. Erik

Erik Admin

Great synopsis there.

9. Cathie

Cathie I have SFP :mecry:

Thank you Ileen! :thumb:

10. Inatic

Vitamin D and Thyroid

From Mary Shomon's Site

www.thyroid.about.com

Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
  11. Inatic

12. pavermama

pavermama Rut Row!

Anyone use any other natural thyroid meds besides the Armour? Doing research on this since I was just diagnosed with hypothyroid and I DO NOT want to take the Synthroid that the doctor is suggesting. If I'm reading right, the dosage is what's the important factor in controlling your thyroid along with making sure of what you're t-3 and t-4 levels are. I'm going to go get those levels checked tomorrow to see where they are and in a couple weeks the doc wants me to start taking the Synthroid if it goes along with the results of which he thinks is off, the 3 or the 4. I asked him about taking something natural and of course as a regular doctor he says that the dosage has to be so precise on the thyroid meds that the natural way to go varies in each capsule and it wouldn't regulate my thyroid the right way. What are some natural supplements that those of you with thyroid problems are taking? I read into the compounding and I need to look further into where one is around my area, which I know is not anywhere close to where I live!! But I'll check anyway....

13. Inatic

You can start with synthroid and see IF you convert the T4 (its a t4 med) into the active T3. If you dont, then he needs to add some cytomel.

I currently use THYROID, which is the canadian natural thyroid.. I changed when the US started putting cellulose in their product and it wasnt working for me.

I personally dont like the compounded as sometimes that isnt made with natural thyroid but synthetic like synthroid. Its often put in with cellulose and people dont do well with it.

if you can get your dr to start you on natural, he'd likely start with about a .5grain or 30mg and then restest in about 6weeks.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  14. pavermama

pavermama Rut Row!

And this is done through the doctor? I'm sorry, but no matter how much I read on this it's confusing to me.....and the more I read the more confused I get.....I just wish someone would hand me my meds that aren't synthetic with the magic dosage and I could be on my way....sorry if I'm makin' this harder to explain....:bitch: <-------me

15. Inatic

yes, all thyroid medication is through your dr.

There is no magic dosage.. it varies from person to person. Some people just need some T4 and convert it, some dont, like me. I have the autoimmune version.

if you want NDT (Natural Desicated Thyroid) then ask for it. i'll warn you, not all drs use NDT, so you might have to do some research to find one that does.

You are in N.East Indiana and I think, you are in an area that has the best Dr for thyroid!

Let me get with my friend for her dr's name. :)

16. Inatic

are you near fort wayne?

This is the best dr/np in the area.. He dose NDT!

ort Wayne Radiology
    Dr. Ashok Kadambi

His NP Kathy is GREAT too!

might take time to get in with him, but the NP is fabulous and much easier to get in with.

Bring copies of your lab work.. You should ALWAYS get and save them!

17. pavermama

pavermama Rut Row!

40 Minutes away!! Thank you soooo much for this info!!! I figured Indy would be the closest dr. for me. I'll get on the phone to them asap!!! Just got bloodwork done this morning for the T3 and T4. They will be sending me the results in the mail. I have to get my results from the TSH test from my regular doc and I should be all set! Again,,,,thank you soooo much for your help!!!!

18. Inatic

your welcome!
    Let me know what happens :)

19. pavermama

pavermama Rut Row!

Got an appt. with Dr. Kadambi Nov. 8th and a follow up appt. on the 18th. Cathy is no longer with them. There is another girl there that did her schooling in New York and she's supposed to be really good too. I could've gotten in sooner but he is gone until November so I got pretty lucky....that's not too far away!! Thanks again for your recommendation! It's a weight lifted off my shoulders just knowing he treats naturally. Uses compounding prescriptions. I'll let you know how it goes!! Thanks!!:kiss:

20. IlPirata

IlPirata Well-Known Member

Lucky Girl! A great thyroid doc has virtually saved my life. Good luck and keep us posted!