Three Motivation Tips

Discussion in 'Diet, Nutrition and Supplements' started by Erik, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Erik

Erik Admin

c/o Craig Ballantyne:

First of all, what you want to set a time period and have some sort of reward or punishment associated with it based on your results. So, put some time aside and look at a calendar circle a date that marks when you want to reach your goal.

Now list out what your goal is, like, “I want to lose four pounds in the next four weeks.” You want to set a goal that you can reach not like what I have seen some people recommend in the past with huge giant goals like, “I want to lose 30 pounds in four weeks.”

Research on human behavior shows that if you set lower goals, and you have the opportunity to actually reach your goals with some type of reward that’s positive it encourages you to keep setting more goals.

So set up a type of goal and reward system, again, not something that is so massive that you almost become abstract to you. You want to set short, easy, and attainable goals with a deadline for that reward.

The simplest way is to put stuff on the calendar and work towards it. So, you really want to make things as concrete as possible. You want to have a goal. You want to set a set time limit, and then you want to give yourself a reward for when you reach that.

The second thing is to have social support. So, you want to put yourself in the right training environment or the right nutrition environment, and you want to hang around other achievers. The more you can hang around other people who have goals like you and do the activities that are congruent with your goals the more success you’re going to have.

It’s very simple. You don’t put a recovering alcoholic in a bar and expect him to achieve what he wants to do. It’s not going to happen. He’s going to, obviously, be brought down to that level again. So, you want to make sure that you’re putting yourself in the right environment.

Third, you must truly believe in yourself. That’s not just, “I really think I’m going to do it this time,” or “I’m going to give this a try,” but you need to mentally switch and it has to be an honest mental switch. You can’t just say, “This is my new mentality,” if it’s not. You know, deep down, whether you truly believe in yourself, but you have to truly switch to a mentality where it says, “I’m going to succeed no matter what.”

When you truly believe that is your mentality that’s when you’re going to have success. If you still struggle with that, you still have doubted, then it’s going to be very difficult for you. Unless you go back to those first two components, and you start putting in the easy to reach goals combined with the social support and the right environment then eventually you’ll build that belief in yourself. However, if you can build that belief in yourself now you can actually achieve without even being in the right environment.

Then, finally, the bonus tip is to educate yourself and never give up looking for new clues to success. The most successful people in life are often simply the most persistent people. If you truly believe in yourself, and you’re going to succeed no matter what that means you’re going to be a very persistent person.

2. laurawd

laurawd Well-Known Member

THANKYOU!

3. Rashida

Rashida Member

I like that. In the past, and sometimes the present - I've set goals that are too high to reach. Mostly because it was taking too much time to get there, which made me feel like I had room for cheats.... With shorter time frames, I could see that not happening.

4. patriciaann

patriciaann Active Member

I really like this post. Thanks for sharing it. I echo the value of setting objectives (lower goals) not just goals - LOL! I have the same issues. I also would add that whatever system you use it needs to have personal accountability built-in. I think that's a really valuable element of bi-weeklies. Also, that helps you to see what's working and what's not working - gives you perspective.

5. mackie

mackie With my hero, Brigitte Gabriel

Nice :thumb:

6. mackie

The part about "social support" may have just inspired me to start a new journal.

7. Sohee

Sohee working on the bikini body

I like this.

8. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

SOHEE! :faint:

9. Sohee

Sohee working on the bikini body

Hi :D Just stopping in because I missed this place :)mecry:) and I had a few minutes to spare before studying for my physics midterm :huh:

10. ncfarris26

ncfarris26 Nicole

:ditto:

We know you're super busy but we all miss you!!

11. Erik

Erik Admin

Where'd your inspiration go??

12. mackie

As in 'where is my journal?' :lol:

I should start one. Though my focus & discipline is not as... uh.. as.. admirable as that of most people around here... journaling has, in the past, helped me stay on track more than not. And when I've derailed, it has helped get back on track sooner than later.

Plus its fun. I miss my journal.

13. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

Start one already!!!!!!

15. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

:ditto:

16. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator