The Sarahs LBF Recipe Thread!!

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Sarawithanh, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Sarawithanh

Sarawithanh Banned

Healthy Egg Salad

WW pita pockets
    1 hardboiled whole egg
    5 hardboiled egg whites
    dijon mustard
    smart balance mayo

hardboil 6 eggs.

pull the yolk out of 5 of those eggs. chop egg and remaining egg whites. put into bowl and mix w/ a ton of dijon mustard, just a dollop of the mayo, salt, peppr and mixtogether and stuff into pita

yummy goodness that isn't so bad for you! the yolk has tons of good for you nutrients, but I try to limit my intake because I have high cholesterol

2. Lingerie Lady

Lingerie Lady Face Your Fears!

I've used this recipe before. It's awesome! Doesn't get all dried out like most cornbreads.

3. Blondell

Blondell Former Postwhore

4. Sarawithanh

Sarawithanh Banned

sarah you're slacking! :D

5. Sarawithanh

Sarawithanh Banned

Chicken Tortilla Soup

BETTER THAN RESTAURANTS SOUPY CRAP! :hehe: if I do say so myself :girly:

cooked shredded chicken* (boil breasts in water til cooked thru - shred w/ fork)
    2 (14.5oz) cans cream style corn
    2 (14.5oz) cans Rotel tomatoes & chilies
    1 (14.5oz) can fat free refried beans
    1 purple onion, chopped
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    cumin
    2 C chicken broth
    1-2 C crushed blue corn tortillas (it adds nice color)
    cilantro - optional
    lime juice - optional
    1/2 C frozen corn - optional

garnishes- shredded monterray or pepper jack cheese; sour cream; chopped avocado

Cook chicken & shred.

Place onions & garlic in large dutch oven pot thingy and sautee. Add tomatoes, corn, cumin, chicken broth, crushed tortillas. Bring to a boil and look cook on stove for 30 mins or so. Stir in 2tsp chopped Cilantro. and however much lime juice you prefer.

Serve warm w/ cheese, avocados & sour cream if you like :yum:

It was AWESOME. and stuck to my bones! Mine was thick like a stew - I don't really like runny tortilla soup :shrug: I think I might experiment next time and add some chopped zucchini and the frozen corn or something

DAVID LOVED IT. I asked him how it was, and he was like "baby, most of the stuff you make is better than what I can get in the restaurant" :woohoo: an indirect compliment! :lol:

6. Sarah

Sarah Well-Known Member

a purple onion?

do you mean red onions?

7. Sarawithanh

Sarawithanh Banned

you say tomato I say tomahto

:lol3:

yes red onion/purple onion

8. lavagirl

lavagirl Senior Member

sounds yummie! :yum:

9. Sarawithanh

Sarawithanh Banned

once again - sarah's slacking :lol3:

turkey sloppy joes from Rachel Ray 4 servings
    olive oil
    1lb ground turkey
    1/4 C brown sugar <--I used less than that and used splenda brown sugar mix
    1 T montreal spicy steak seasoning
    1 T red wine vinegar
    1 T worcestshire sauce
    2 C tomato sauce
    2 T tomato paste
    1 red bell pepper, chopped
    1 onion chopped

heat a large skillet ove medium high heat. add oil and meat and begin to break apart. mix sugar & steak seasoning and add to skillet. when meat has browned, add peppers & onions & worcestshire sauce & red wine vinegar and reduce heat to medium and cook for 5 mins. add tomato sauce & paste..stir to combine and reduce heat to simmer 5 mins longer

toast ww buns or other crust bread and scoop slopy joe mixture over top of toasted bread

:yum: i used pepperidge farm ww buns - but Ezikiel has ww hamburget buns which would work

10. vtchick

vtchick Chunky Monkey

11. Sarawithanh

Sarawithanh Banned

:lol: Jill! this is super easy! how did you set your kitchen on fire?? yikes!

12. Sarah

Sarah Well-Known Member

:eh: :uhuh:

note to self: don't let jill cook in my kitchen :lol3:

13. vtchick

vtchick Chunky Monkey

Yeah, I tried to use that Olesta oil, without reading on the container that it doesn't work in high heat. So yeah, I poured that shit into a HOT stock pan, and WHOOSH!! It set off all the smoke detectors in the house (that continued to go off for 20 minutes)...the whole house was full of smoke, and I totally forgot that flour would put it out. Mike ended up coming home from work.:blink:

So outside of that, I'm pretty damn good in the kitchen :lol3:

14. Sarawithanh

Sarawithanh Banned

:lol: you remind me of my friend who burned a pot of NOODLES!! :funny:

15. Sarah

Sarah Well-Known Member

:lol3:

16. Sarah

Sarah Well-Known Member

Corn Avocado Soup

2 cloves garlic, peeled and halved
    1 jalapeño chile, seeded
    4 avocados, halved and peeled
    Grated peel of 1 lime and juice of 3 limes
    3/4 cup cilantro leaves
    Salt and pepper
    3 cups chicken broth
    2 cups fresh corn kernels (from 2 ears) or one 10-ounce box frozen corn, thawed and patted dry

Directions

1. Using a food processor, finely chop 2 cloves garlic and the jalapeño. Add the avocados, lime peel, lime juice and 1/2 cup cilantro leaves; season to taste with salt and pepper. Process until just combined. With the machine on, slowly pour in the chicken broth until smooth. If the soup is too thick, slowly add up to 1 cup water.
    2. In a small nonstick skillet, toast the corn kernels over medium heat, stirring, until lightly browned. Season with salt and let cool. Stir 1 1/2 cups corn kernels into the soup.
    4. Top the soup with the remaining 1/2 cup corn kernels and the remaining 1/4 cup cilantro.

17. Sarawithanh

Sarawithanh Banned

I just pulled this from EP - courtesy of Di (Sportsgirl) I haven't made it yet, but I think David would totally be down for making this sometime soon :hehe:

Chicken & Red Curry Coconut Rice

250g lean chicken breast (cut into pieces)
    100ml lite coconut milk
    red curry paste to taste (I used about 2 teaspoons, but it was spicy)
    1 tablespoon splenda
    70g dry white rice or brown rice??
    100ml water
    1 bunch of asparagus

18. Sarawithanh

Sarawithanh Banned

baked macaroni and cheese (courtesy of Mueller's - look on the back of the elbow macaroni box :girly:)

I'm trying to figure out what substitutions I can make to this recipe to have it be more healthy, maybe a bit less fat and still ooey goey yummyness......

2 tbsp (30 ml) cornstarch
    1 tsp (5 ml) salt
    1/2 tsp (2 ml) dry mustard (optional)
    1/4 tsp (1 ml) pepper
    2-1/2 cups (600 ml) milk <--fat free/skim milk
    2 tbsp (30 ml) Margarine or butter <--could olive oil be subbed here?
    2 cups (475 ml) (8 oz (224 grm).) shredded American or Cheddar cheese, divided <--reduced fat cheese, maybe even 4oz cheddar and 4 oz pepper jack to give it a kick :shrug:
    8 oz (224 grm). Mueller's Elbows (about 2 cups), cooked 5 minutes and drained <--healthy whole grain pasta, rotini shells whatever

In medium saucepan combine corn starch, salt, dry mustard and pepper; stir in milk.
    Add margarine.
    Stirring constantly, bring to a boil over medium-high heat and boil 1 minute.
    Remove from heat.
    Stir in 1-3/4 cups (425 ml) cheese until melted.
    Add elbows.
    Pour into greased 2-quart casserole.
    Sprinkle with reserved cheese.
    Bake uncovered in 375 degree (200 C.) oven 25 minutes or until lightly browned.

would adding ground turkey to the dish change the flavor of the macaroni and cheese? in my family we always ate just the amcaroni and cheese w/ a side of frozen peas & corn - we would mix it together after both had cooked separately. course my parents always had stewed tomatoes on the side too (nasty)

19. Sarah

Sarah Well-Known Member

it's 2 T of butter. why bother?

20. Sarawithanh

Sarawithanh Banned

i knowwww