The Sarahs LBF Recipe Thread!!

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Sarawithanh, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Sarah

Sarah Well-Known Member

Sarah's Strawberries w/ Angelfood

1 Angelfood Cake or Mini dessert angel food cakes
    4 c slide strawberries (if they are tart add a bit of the fake sugar of your choice and let sit at room temp for a few hours).
    2 c RF vanilla ice cream
    shaved dark chocolate

slide angelfood in half horizontally. save half for later (freezes well). using the remaining half - cut into 4 pieces. place on a plate w/ the cut side UP. sprinke some of the chocolate on top of the angel food cake, 1/2c ice cream and 1 cup strawberries. poor a bit of the strawberry juice on top. let set for a few minutes until ice cream begins to melt. place remaining chocolate over each piece. grab a fork. enjoy!

2. Sarah

Sarah Well-Known Member

Quickie Pizza

Quickie Pizza

so, this isn't one of those mind blowing recipes but dayum, it hit the spot...

1 piece of WW Naan (Whole Foods)
    1/4 c of your favorite chunky spaghetti sauce
    1/4t Italian seasoning
    few spoon fulls of ricotta cheese (none of the FF junk)
    1/4 c moz cheese.

heat oven to 400. layer in the order as written above. place in oven for 7-8 mins. remove and let sit for 2-3 min (lava cheese = burned mouth). cut and enjoy! :drool:

3. Sarah

Sarah Well-Known Member

Penne with Spinach Sauce

Penne with Spinach Sauce
    Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis (aka: Bobble Head)

1 pound whole wheat or multi grain penne
    3 garlic cloves
    2 ounces goat cheese
    1 ounce reduced fat cream cheese
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    6 ounces fresh baby spinach leaves
    2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan

Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add the penne and cook until it is tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 12 minutes.
    Mince the garlic in a food processor. Add the goat cheese, cream cheese, 3/4 teaspoon of salt, 1/2 teaspoon of pepper, and half of the spinach leaves. Blend until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Set the cheese and spinach mixture aside.

Meanwhile, place the remaining spinach leaves in a large bowl.

Drain the pasta, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid. Spoon the pasta atop the spinach leaves in the bowl. Scrape the cheese and spinach mixture over the pasta mixture and toss to coat, adding enough reserved cooking liquid to moisten. Season the pasta, to taste, with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the Parmesan over and serve.

4. Sarah

Sarah Well-Known Member

Garlic and Citrus Chicken

Garlic and Citrus Chicken

1 (5 to 6-pound) whole roasting chicken, neck and giblets discarded
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    1 orange, quartered
    1 lemon, quartered
    1 head garlic, halved crosswise, plus 3 garlic cloves, chopped
    2 (14-ounce) cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
    1/4 cup frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
    1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano leaves
    Kitchen string or butcher twine

Position the rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 400 degrees F.
    Pat the chicken dry and sprinkle the cavity with salt and pepper. Stuff the cavity with the orange, lemon, and garlic halves. Tie the chicken legs together with kitchen string to help hold its shape. Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper.

Place a rack in a large roasting pan. Place the chicken, breast side up, on the rack in the pan. Roast the chicken for 1 hour, basting occasionally and adding some chicken broth to the pan, if necessary, to prevent the pan drippings from burning. Whisk the orange juice, lemon juice, oil, oregano, and chopped garlic in a medium bowl to blend. Brush some of the juice mixture over the chicken, after it has baked 1 hour. Continue roasting the chicken until an instant-read meat thermometer inserted into the innermost part of the thigh registers 170 degrees F, basting occasionally with the juice mixture and adding broth to the pan, about 45 minutes longer. Transfer the chicken to a platter. Tent with foil while making the sauce (do not clean the pan).

Place the same roasting pan over medium-low heat. Whisk in any remaining broth and simmer until the sauce is reduced to 1 cup, stirring often, about 3 minutes. Strain into a 2-cup glass measuring cup and discard the solids. Spoon the fat from the top of the sauce. Serve the chicken with the pan sauce.

5. Sarawithanh

Sarawithanh Banned

Turkey Taco Salad

1 pkg ground turkey meat - 1 pkg old el paso or mccormick's taco seasoning - cook meat according to directions.

scoop meat over romaine lettuce and sprinkle with shredded cheese of your choice; could also add guac, sour cream or even tositos con queso.

I like mine w/ regular salsa. I could eat it every day!

6. Ana

Ana Think back...Move forward

:drool:
    Right click and save :yum:

7. Sarah

Sarah Well-Known Member

Spinach Salad w/ Yogurt-Mint Dressing

Spinach Salad w/ Yogurt-Mint Dressing

Salad:
    2 c veg broth or water
    1/2 c bulgur
    1/2 t ground cumin
    1/4 t sea salt
    1/4 teastpoon ground black pepper
    1/2 c ww cous cous
    1, 15 oz drained can of garbanzo beans
    5 c baby spinach (torn)
    1 c coarsley chopped apple
    1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings

Direcitons: In a medium saucepan, combine the water, bulgur, cumin, salit and black pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 10 min or until bulger is nearly tender. remove from heat and stir in couscous. Cover and let stand for 4 minutes. Using a fork, fluff the grain mix. Transfer to a lage gowl and cool. Stir in garbanzo beans. Chill 2 to 24 hrs. Reserve spinach, apple, and onion

Dressing
    Mix 2/3c plain regular fat (important) yogurt, 1/3 c red wine vinaigrette, 2 T snipped fresh mint, 1/4 t crushed red pepper.

To serve: arrange the spinach in a large bowl, spoon on the grain mix. top with onions and apple. drizzle salad dressing.

EAT!

8. Sarawithanh

Sarawithanh Banned

Pumpkin Turkey Black Bean chili 5 servings

It includes my favorite SUPER FOOD: pumpkin! Now, when I made this, both David and Chris were looking forward to a pumpkiny flavor, but while we didn't really "taste" the pumpkin flavor, but you knew the pumpkin was there cuz of the texture - the texture worked out really well.. I don't really care - pumpkin has tons of antioxidants and is a super food so its nice to be able to add it something like this and have a great "one pot meal" :hehe:

I'm still in search of a good chili/soup that will taste like pumpkin, guess I gotta make pumpkin black bean soup or something :shrug:

1lb ground turkey
    olive oil <--good fats
    1 garlic clove, minced <--good for your heart
    1/2 C red ppr chopped <-antioxidants
    1/2 C grn ppr chopped <-antioxidants
    1/2 C-1C chopped onion <--good for heart
    1 (15oz) can pureed pumpkin (NOT PUMPKIN PIE FILLING) <--GREAT antioxidants, eyes, etc.
    1 (15oz) can diced tomatoes <-lycopene, canned tomatoes are better for you than fresh ones
    1 (15oz) can black beans (rinsed and drained) <--extra protein
    1.5 T chili powder
    1/2 tsp black ppr
    1 tsp cumin
    1/4 - 1/2 C chicken broth

sautee garlic onions pprs til tender, add meat and brown - once browned drain the concoction in a colander and add back to pot - add pumpkin, tomatoes, seasoning, black beans & a little bit of chicken broth to the mixture to loosen up the thickness a bit - simmer for 10-20 mins or until hot and bubbly throughout

serve topped w/ shredded cheddar or monterray jack cheeses and my famous absolute mexican cornbread (receipe on next post in this thread)

1 serving=
    258 cals
    6g fat
    26g carb
    27g protein

:clap:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2007
  9. Sarawithanh

Sarawithanh Banned

absolute mexican cornbread 15 servings
    1 serving =
    219 cals
    10.5g fat
    29g carb
    6g protein

1 stick unsalted butter, melted
    1C white sugar
    4 eggs
    1 (15oz) can cream style corn
    1/2 (4oz) can chopped green chili peppers, drained
    1/2 C shredded cheddar cheese
    1/2 C monterray jack shredded cheese
    1 C flour
    1 C cornmeal
    4 tsp baking powder
    1/4 tsp salt

1) preheat oven to 300 degrees F
    2) lightly greese 9x13 inch baking dish
    3) in a large bowl, beat together the butter & sugar. beat in eggs 1 at a time, blend in cream corn, chilis, cheeses.
    4) in a separate bowl, stir together flouwer corn meal baking powder salt. add flouwer to corn mixturen stir until smooth, poor batter into pan
    5) bake for an hour until toothpick inserted comes out clean

Last edited: Sep 30, 2007
  10. Sarah

Sarah Well-Known Member

Shrimp Scampi

Shrimp Scampi

1/2 lb raw shrimp marinated overnight in chicken broth, garlic, and salt
    1/2 C Chicken Broth (not the one you marinated in)
    Garlic to Taste
    Parm Cheese to Taste
    Fresh Cracked Pepper
    2 Scallions finely chopped
    butter buds

simmer the shrimp until about 1/2 way cooked with the chicken broth. add in the garlic, pepper, and butter buds. continue to cook until the shrimp until no longer transparent. remove the majority of the remaing broth. server alone or over pasta. before serving add parm cheese, scallions, and more butter buds!

11. Sarah

Sarah Well-Known Member

Chocolate Pudding Parfaits

Just for Ana...

Chocolate Pudding Parfaits

8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
    2 to 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
    3 cups half-and-half
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 large egg plus 2 egg yolks
    1 cup heavy cream, whipped
    8 Oreo cookies, chopped

1. In a medium bowl, mix the chocolate and cocoa powder and set aside.
    2. In a medium, heavy saucepan, heat the half-and-half over medium-high heat until almost boiling (bubbles will form around the edges).
    3. In a heatproof bowl, whisk together the sugar and eggs until thick and pale yellow, about 2 minutes. Slowly whisk half of the hot half-and-half into the egg mixture and then pour the mixture into the saucepan. Bring just to a boil over medium heat and cook, whisking constantly, until bubbly and thickened, 1 minute.
    4. Pour the custard through a sieve into the reserved chocolate-cocoa mixture and whisk until smooth. Let cool slightly then press plastic wrap onto the surface to cover and refrigerate until cold, about 2 hours.
    5. Scoop the chocolate pudding into individual cups and top with the whipped cream and cookies.

12. Ana

:woohoo:

:party2: thanks Sarah :lub:

13. Sarah

Sarah Well-Known Member

:girly:

14. Ana

I'm going to make the whipped cream orange and share these babies with my dd's grade one class :grin:

:thumb:

15. Sarawithanh

Sarawithanh Banned

omg orange whipped cream :drool:

at the bridal expo I went to a few weeks ago - they had chooclate fountains, one was ORANGE CHOCOLATE a nice orange color and it was TO DIE FOR. I had it on a rice krispie treat - tasted like a freaking creamsicle - soooo good

16. Ana

:eek:mg: sooooooooooo :yum: I've never seen orange chocolate. I love the terry's orange chocolate but it's just the taste not the colour that's orange

17. Sarawithanh

Sarawithanh Banned

I think I've outdone myself again :girly:

Lime Chicken w/ Lentils & Dried Fruit (prevention magazine recipe - my edits in bold)

4 bone in chicken thighs I used chicken breasts
    1/4 tsp salt eyeballed
    1/8 tsp ground allspice eyeballed
    1/8 tsp ground red pepper eyeballed
    1 T olive oil
    3/4 C small lentils (green, red brown) picked over & rinsed I used Harvest Grains Blend from Trader Joes
    3 scallions cut
    4 large dried peaches (4oz), cut into thin strips (if not available sub 8 dried apricots)
    1/2 C dried sour cherries or cranberries
    2 tsp finely chopped crystallized ginger I omitted this as I HATE crystallized ginger blech
    1/3 C chopped cilantro I omitted this by accident - I think it could use it!!
    1.5 C low sodium chicken broth
    4 stp finely grated lime zest
    1 T fresh lime juice
    garnish with lime wedges

1) preheat oven to 350. season chicken w/ spices (half of each). In a large pot, or oven proof dutch oven, heat oil. cook chicken about 5 mins each side or until browned and transfer to plate.

2) add lentils, scallions, peaches, cherries, ginger, half cilantro, and remaining spices. cook stirring 2 mins. pour in broth. return chicken to pot and submerge. bring to a boil over high heat.

3) remove from heat, cover and bake 35 mins. uncover and bake 30 mins more until lentils are cooked through. remove chicken skins, stir lime zest and juice into lentil mixture

4. divide lentils among 4 serving plates, top w/ chicken, and sprinkle with remaining cilantro, garnish with lime wedges serve with your choice of green veggie of course!

[​IMG]
    4 servings
    343 cal. 26g protein. 47g carb. 7g fat. 14g fiber

prevention has a ton of drool worthy recipes!! off to search :hehe:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2007
  18. Sarah

Sarah Well-Known Member

hey sarah - yeah, prevention rocks - chicken chili baby! and nice avi!

btw, i'm about to give you a run for your $$ when it comes to recipes. i have a backlog of ones i want to try. neeener neeener neeener

19. Sarah

Sarah Well-Known Member

where'd you get the dried peaches - TJ?

20. Sarawithanh

Sarawithanh Banned

I used dried apricots because they had been in my cabinet for a while and weren't getting eaten! :shrug: but tj's does have dried peaches