The Sarahs LBF Recipe Thread!!

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Sarawithanh, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Sarawithanh

Sarawithanh Banned

So, during my 8hr road trip to and from Pennsylvania with Sarah on Saturday, she mentioned yet another droolworthy recipe and it was discussed that maybe WE should begin a recipe "book" of sorts since we both come up with such good healthy recipes! (we will be sure to give credit to authors if copied from some place other than our beautifully creative minds) oh and we'll post pictures when we can! & macros if possible..but sometimes that too time consuming!

Here it is, enjoy! :D

Pasta with Grilled Chicken & Mozzarella this came from a magazine my coworker gave me - I'll try to find out which.
    Serves 4. prep = 15 mins. cook = 30 mins

INGREDIENTS
    coarse salt & ground ppr
    veggie oil for grill grates
    1.5 lbs chicken cutlets
    8 oz medium pasta shells (or bowties or fuseli etc)
    1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
    4oz fresh mozzarella cheese cut into 1/4 inch cubes
    1/2 C fresh parsley, chopped
    1/4 C grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
    2 T butter

WHAT TO DO:
    1) Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil for pasta. Meanwhile, heat grill to medium; lightly oil grates. Season chicken with salt & ppr. Grill until cooked through (2-3 mins per side) remove from grill, and cut into thin strips, halving if too long
    2) cook pasta until al dente, according to pkg instructions. Reserve 1 C pasta water; drain pasta and return to pot. Add chicken, tomatoes, mozzarella, parsley, parmesan & butter. Toss to combine. add reserved pasta water a little at a time to create a sauce that coats shells (so you may not need all the water) serve with more parmesan cheese.

I have not made this myself yet, but my coworker did and it smells orgasmically FANTABULOUS. whats not to like?

You could also prep a few days ahead of time by grilling the chicken 2 days before, let it cool, wrap in plastic and refrigerate. bring chicken to room temperature before adding to pasta.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2007
  2. Sarawithanh

Sarawithanh Banned

Mojito Chicken Madness

Mojito chicken with quinoa & black beans; sugar snap peas.

For the chicken:
    1lb or so of chicken breast chopped
    olive oil
    1 jar Trader Joe's Mojito marinade simmer sauce

sautee chicken in pan until just brown, add simmer sauce, turn down heat and simmer for a while (at least 40 mins) to get good flavor in chicken

while chicken is simmering, make quinoa & black beans: (found off of recipezaar.com)

* 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
    * 1 onion, chopped
    * 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
    * 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
    * 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
    * 1 teaspoon ground cumin
    * 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    * salt and pepper to taste
    * 1 cup frozen corn kernels
    * 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
    * 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

1. Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic, and saute until lightly browned.
    2. Mix quinoa into the saucepan and cover with vegetable broth. Season with cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes,
    3. Stir frozen corn into the saucepan, and continue to simmer about 5 minutes until heated through. Mix in the black beans and cilantro.

serve with fresh cooked sugar snap peas

3. Sarawithanh

Sarawithanh Banned

Strawberry Champagne Vinegarette ( a few servings)

1/2 C sliced hulled strawberries
    2 T olive oil
    1 T champagne vinegar
    salt & pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients into a mini food processor and blend until smooth throughout. Can be stored in a airtight jar for 3-4 days in the fridge.

Serve over a baby spinach salad :D (great with baby spinach, walnuts or sweet spiced pecan halves from trader joes, dried fruit & feta or goat cheese)

4. Sarawithanh

Sarawithanh Banned

here is one of my fav meals that David cooks

Spicy PB, Green Bean & Chicken Stir Fry

soy sauce
    pb
    hot asian sauce (red) - international aisle in grocery store
    sesame oil
    1lb chicken breast cut into smaller pieces
    fresh green beans

1) boil pot of water and cook green beans til tender - drain.
    2) heat pan and add sesame oil, add chicken and stirfry til chicken cooked through, add pb and soy sauce to taste and stir in green beans - cook until everything heated through.
    3) could serve with brown rice if you like I normally eat it as is for one of my evening carb free meals :shrug:

5. Sarah

Sarah Well-Known Member

jeesh woman! gimme two minutes :)

6. Sarah

Sarah Well-Known Member

White Chicken Chili

White Chicken Chili
    Source: Prevention....

Nutritional Info:
    Calories: 322
    Carbs: 37
    Sodium: 416
    Fat: 6
    Fiber: 8
    Protein: 25

Ingredients:
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    3/4 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast,
    1 large onion,
    2 clove garlic ,
    1 cup dry white wine or chicken broth
    2 can (14-19 ounces) navy beans,
    1 teaspoon mustard powder
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    .12 teaspoon ground black pepper
    4 ounce baked tortilla chips
    1/2 cup reduced-fat extra-sharp Cheddar cheese

Instructions:
    Warm oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook 10 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink, stirring frequently. Remove and set aside. Add onion and garlic to the skillet and cook 5 minutes, or until tender.

Spoon chicken, onion, and garlic into a slow cooker. Add wine or broth, beans, mustard powder, cumin, salt, and pepper. Simmer on low 5 to 6 hours. Serve over tortilla chips and sprinkle with cheese.

7. Sarawithanh

Sarawithanh Banned

post ur buffalo burger naan burger thingy!

8. Sarah

Sarah Well-Known Member

Bison Burgers

1 Pkg of TJ's Garlic Naan
    1 Box of TJ's Bison Burgers
    8 Strips of Turkey Bacon, fold into V's
    4 Oz Pepperjack (or whatever you like) Cheese
    8 Oz Raw Sliced Mushrooms
    Mayo

1. Preheat broiler
    2. put turkey bacon into microwave until medium crispy. remove from microwave and let cool.
    3. place bison burgers into a flaming hot skillet. once a crispy edge has developed flip and repeat. reduce heat to medium until cooked. turn off the oven.
    4. push bison burgers to the side of the skillet and add mushrooms to the bison juices. you may want to add a bit of salt/pepper or garlic for additional flavor. cook mushrooms until soft. turn off heat
    5. place garlic naan on the top shelf of the oven. place cheese on top of the bison burgers, mushrooms on top of cheese. cover for 5 mins
    6. remove naan, cut in half, place mayo on one or two side (your choice), add bison, sandwich, eat! :drool:

9. Sarawithanh

Sarawithanh Banned

mmmmmm if I hadnt already had my portion of red meat this week that would so be on my menu - alas, it'll have to wait until NEXT week! YUM!

oh and Sarah forgot to add that if you want you could get TJ's applewood smoked bacon instead of the turkey bacon for extra :drool: :drool: factor

10. diddledee

diddledee Well-Known Member

Sarah...post that recipe with the chicken and yogurt.

11. Sarah

Sarah Well-Known Member

which sarah? we both have chicken/yogurt recipe

sarah w/ the hair avi or sarah with the puppy avi?

12. Sarah

Sarah Well-Known Member

Tarragon-Cream Chicken and Polenta Potpies

Tarragon-Cream Chicken and Polenta Potpies
    Source: Rachel Ray, edited by :girly:

** you can by the onions, celery and carrots at TJ's already chopped.

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO) or coat the skillet w/ cooking spray
    2 carrots, chopped
    1 onion, chopped
    2 ribs celery with leafy greens, chopped
    Salt and pepper
    1 cup frozen peas
    1 1/2 pounds chicken tenders, chopped
    3 cups chicken broth
    1 cup heavy cream or 1/2 cup heavy cream and 1/2 cup skim milk
    1/2 cup quick-cooking polenta
    1 cup shredded gruyère cheese
    5 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons butter
    2 tablespoons flour
    6 sprigs fresh tarragon, leaves chopped and stems discarded
    2 teaspoons Dijon mustard

1. In a deep skillet, heat the EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the carrots, onion and celery, season with salt and pepper and cook until softened, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the peas and chicken and cook until the chicken is cooked through, about 4 minutes; set aside.
    2. Preheat the broiler. In a small, heavy saucepan, bring 1 cup chicken broth and ½ cup cream to a boil. Add the polenta and cook, whisking, for 3 minutes. Lower the heat, stir in the gruyère until melted and set aside.
    3. Push the chicken and vegetables off to the side of the skillet. Over medium heat, add the butter to melt, then stir in the flour; cook for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in the remaining 2 cups chicken broth and 1/2 cup cream (or milk), stir in the chicken and vegetables and bring to a simmer. Stir in the tarragon and mustard; season with salt and pepper.
    4. Place four ovenproof soup bowls on a baking sheet and pour in the chicken mixture. Scoop some polenta on top to cover completely. Broil until the tops are browned, 2 to 3 minutes.

Macros/serving for the healthier option - still pretty calorie full! The full fat one has almost 1000 cals and mostly from fat (butter and heavy cream)

Cals - 600
    Fat - 27
    Carbs - 33
    Fiber - 6
    Protein - 56

Last edited: Aug 28, 2007
  13. Sarawithanh

Sarawithanh Banned

Parvez Chicken Marinade (from David's fathers coworker - their family recipe)

this is another one of my favorites!!! great for summertime grilling! everybody looooooves it and requests this OFTEN

Yogurt, plain lowfat, 8 oz
    Salt 1tsp
    Pepper 1tsp
    Chili powder 1tsp
    Cayenne pepper 1tsp
    Ginger 1tsp
    Vinegar (apple cider) 1tsp
    4 chicken breasts

marinade for 3-4 hours in a zip lock baggie in the fridge

grill & enjoy (can use oil on grill surface so chicken won't stick)

14. Sarawithanh

Sarawithanh Banned

are the macros for the potpies for the entire recipe or per serving (how many servings)? :scratch: :uhuh: :unsure:

15. diddledee

diddledee Well-Known Member

I forgot how many Sarah's there are...that was the one I was talking about. But, post yours too Kiwi...more the merrier!

16. Sarah

Sarah Well-Known Member

Toasted Ravioli Recipe

Toasted Ravioli Recipe

2 eggs or 2 portions egg beaters
    Splash of skim milk
    Salt and pepper
    1 1/2 cups Italian bread crumbs
    1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
    Handful flat-leaf parsley, chopped
    12 large (thawed is necesary) cheese ravioli, about 3/4 pound
    1 jar of No Sugar Added Marinara Sauce

Beat eggs and a splash of milk seasoned with salt and pepper in a shallow dish. Combine bread crumbs with cheese and parsley in a second dish. Coat the fresh pasta in egg then bread crumbs. Heat a skillet over medium heat, spray with no stick cooking spray, then toast the ravioli until deep golden, 3 to 4 minutes on each side.

Nuke the marinara until hot and SERVE.

Marcos dependent upon brand used.

17. Sarawithanh

Sarawithanh Banned

Moroccan Chicken Stew 8 servings
    serve over couscous or rice or with toasted ww pita bread to soak up juices :hehe:

[ I found this recipe on recipezaar.com I havent made it yet but I have high expectations for this recipe from all the rave reviews it has received ]

4 C chicken broth
    1/2 C tomato paste
    2 tsp ground cumin
    2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp ground red ppr (cayenne)
    1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
    1 C raisins
    2 medium onions, sliced thin
    2 T minced fresh garlic
    64 oz butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1 1/2 " chunks (5 Cups approximately)
    4 C frozen green peas
    2 (16 oz) cans chicke peas, drained & rinsed
    8 chicken breasts (4oz filets) - about 1.333 lbs

1) in a 4-5 Qt pot, wisk together the broth, paste, cumin, salt, red ppr & cinnamon until blended

2) Stir in the raisins, onion, garlic, squash, peas, chickpeas & chicken

3) bring to a gentle boil over med-high heat

4) reduce heat to low. cover and simmer for 25-30 mins or until the squash is tender and chicken is opaque and juices run clear when meat is pierced with sharp knife

Last edited: Sep 1, 2007
  18. mcv

mcv Blissfully Maintaining

I made this one for my DH (It was from "Everyday Food - I :love: Martha!) and it really was FAB!! :yum: I halved the butter and used Parm. Reggiano for a stronger saltier flavor. :drool:

19. Sarawithanh

Sarawithanh Banned

I can't wait to make it - I'm making David grill chix tomorrow so I can make it :drool:

20. Sarawithanh

Sarawithanh Banned

Per Sarah's request - my daddy's homemade guacamole :drool:

GUACAMOLE

serves: 6
    prep time: 30 mins

guac doesn't keep too well, maybe a day or 2...when you store it place it in a bowl and cover with saran wrap but push the wrap directly to the surface of the guac so as to keep it from turning brown too quickly

4 soft avocados - peeled & seeded
    1 med tomato - peeled, chopped fine
    1/4 C onion - minced fine
    1 garlic clove - crushed
    3 Tblspoons lemon or lime juice
    1/4 tsp salt
    4 drops of hot sauce (if you want)

using fork, mash avocado, stir in remaining ingredients