The Oatmeal/Hot Cereal thread.

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by LilMissSunshine, Aug 25, 2011.

1. AWAaviatrix

AWAaviatrix New Member

Sugar Cookie Oatmeal

I took the original recipe below and made it my own as I like steel cut oatmeal over old fashioned oats and make a pot for the family to reheat during the week. I did not use almond milk as my plan has unsweetened almond milk in it but I prefer to use it in my coffee. Steel Cut oatmeal also has a creamier texture on its own. I cook my oatmeal in an open lid, electric rice cooker as the clean up is easy. A crock pot would work too.
    I get my tea from Amazon.com.

Measure out steel cut oats per plan and the amount of servings you want to cook and add to rice pot. I made 8, 40gm dry servings.
    Steep for 15 minutes 4 tea bags of Celestial Seasonings Sugar Cookie Tea per 2 cups of water. Squeeze tea bags to get concentrated water out of bags when adding to pot. I used 3 cups of tea water per 1 cup oats.

Add a pinch of sea salt, splash of vanilla, almond extract and butter extract to pot.
    Sweeten to taste with Stevia in the raw.

Cook on white rice setting with lid open until thick and creamy, stirring occasionally.
    Portion out into servings and or refrigerate.
    Good Stuff!

Here is the original recipe for Sugar Cookie Oatmeal that I found on Chocolate Covered Katie. Check her site out as she has some awesome recipes that have been made healthier. http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/12/27/sugar-cookie-oatmeal/

Sugar Cookie Oatmeal

1/2 cup rolled oats
    1 cup water
    1/2 cup milk of choice (I used almond milk)
    2 Celestial Seasonings sugar cookie teabags (or perhaps a different tea?)
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
    sweetener of choice, as desired
    optional: coconut butter or oil, or vegan butter (You can easily omit this. But I liked the extra buttery flavor I got by stirring a little virgin coconut oil into my oats.)
    Heat the water and milk, then add the teabags and let sit for at least 15 minutes. Right before taking the teabags out, smush them a little with a fork so more of the flavor goes into the milk. Combine the liquid with the oats and salt, then microwave for 3 minutes. (If it starts to boil over, you can stop the microwave and keep heating in ten-second increments until the time is up. But don’t open the microwave door!)

Let the oatmeal sit in the closed microwave for 5 minutes, then transfer–uncovered—to the fridge. It gets thicker as it sits. (I made this, then went running for a little over an hour. It was the perfect texture by the time I got back. Bit if you want to eat this immediately, just use a little less water.) Right before eating, add your vanilla and sweetener (and oil, if using).

Per entire recipe:

Calories: 170
    Protein: 7grams
    Fat: 4.5 grams
    Fiber: 4 grams
    Cholesterol: 0 mg
    Carbs: 28 grams
    Sugar: 0 grams
    This info was calculated using Almond Breeze almond milk.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  2. rgreba

rgreba New Member

Ooo how creative! Got to give this a try.

3. kristiechic7

kristiechic7 New Member

Breakfast idea:

Oats
    Skim milk
    Frozen berries (blueberry and strawberry)
    One sweet and Low

Make it at night and it the morning it's ready for breakfast. I make a weeks worth so I can just grab it and eat it in the car.

4. Jen2goal

Jen2goal New Member

What great ideas in here! Thank you all!! No more boring oatmeal. :)