The Oatmeal/Hot Cereal thread.

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by LilMissSunshine, Aug 25, 2011.

1. brooket

brooket Active Member

Jami, Sorry for all the ????? QUESTIONS, but did you let it sit at room temperature or in the fridge?

THANKS! Can you tell I'm excited? I am gonna try this with pureed banana :yum:

2. Tianagonzalez

Tianagonzalez NEVER GIVE UP!!

YUM.... let us know how it comes out please :)

3. jamistar77

jamistar77 Well-Known Member

Brooke, you're cracking me up! LOL the ones I just made with the pumpkin, I let them sit on the counter for a couple hours, then baked them.. I reduced heat to 325 and baked for close to an hour. Size of bakeware and oven may vary though. Enjoy! The are sooo guuud!

4. Girlybodybuilder

Girlybodybuilder New Member

When my M1 called for Oats, egg whites and 1 serving of fruit I subbed pumpkin for that serving of fruit and made pumpkin pie oatmeal - uber delish!

40g Oats
    6 egg whites
    1 serving of pumpkin fruit - I think it was 3/4 cup but dont quote me, its been a while
    1tbsp sfff carmel syrup
    splenda to taste
    dash of pumpkin spice or pumpkin spice capella drop
    dash of cinnamon
    1/4 tsp of baking soda

I basically ate a pumpkin pie daily - miss those days :):popcorn:[/QUOTE]

Was this baked or in the micro?:shrug:

5. Girlybodybuilder

Girlybodybuilder New Member

OMG...WHERE do you find gingerbread and sugarcookie flavored tea??? At least, what brand is it?

6. brooket

brooket Active Member

Well, I screwed it up and put it in the fridge last night cause of the EW and it DIDN'T RISE. So, now you know, you have to let it sit, or it is a flop, literally! LOL

I will try again this weekend, and with pumpkin, the banana was not flavorfull either.:shrug:

7. jamistar77

Do you have banana flavor extract? Sorry it was a flop lol. The pumpkin us the BEST! Talk about volume! Ginormus loaf! :D

8. jamistar77

Girly., it was baked. I think it met the oatbran fluff up more.. hmmm, I wonder if micro would work? I'll have to try that. One serving of fruit for pumpkin is huge! :p

9. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

sugar cookie and gingerbread are teas that usually come out seasonally, but Celestial Seasonings. Maybe you can find it on line?
    [​IMG]

10. jamistar77

Bengal Celestial seasoning is the BEST tasting tea I've had yet! I made some last night and my whole house smelt good! First the kitchen, then the living room, then my bedroom.. MmmMMmmMM I saved some from last night to add to my GF Bobs red mill mighty taste hot cereal

11. LoriZ

LoriZ Member

Why can't I get my stuff to stay fluffly like that? Granted I didn't follow this exact recipe, but anytime I make something it grows in the oven, then as soon as I pull it out it deflates. What am i doing wrong? :scratch: Too much or not enough baking powder? Not cooking it long enough (though it's usually rubbery so I don't want to cook it longer)? Any experts out there have any idea?

12. lesliemirinda

lesliemirinda Member

Lori mine is not that fluffy either and it deflates after I take it out of the oven but it still tastes soooooooo good! This the pumpkin/oatbran is my new addiction--I've been eating it every day! And I love that its full of fiber ;)

13. jamistar77

I notice that if I dont bake mine long enough it deflates. How long do you let it sit before you stick it in the oven? When temp and time are you baking it at? I find that if I let the batter sit in the baking dish, on the counter for a few hours, then bake it, it rises much better. If I use all the egg whites on my plan, it deflates as well.. 5 egg whites is the most I use. I tried muffins yesterday by using 6 egg whites, those little guys deflated miserably! Also.. do you add salt? I notice that helps.

14. jamistar77

OH my gosh.. they were my addiction too! Too much fiber can be a baaaad thing, LOL I've had to switch off for a little bit. :)

15. LoriZ

LoriZ Member

Yeah....I don't follow directions very well. :oops:
    I don't let it sit very long - maybe 5-10 min. I think I did overnight once, but I added water that time for some reason so it was just gooey. I did it at 350 for about 30 min (I think). I just kept peeking at it to see if it looked ready. Sometimes I'll put it in my toaster oven at 350 but that never works well either. I use 3 or 4 ew and 1 whole egg. And no, I don't use salt.

I used to make pancakes out of my M1 ingredients too and they'd be fluffy, but not anymore.

I'll try again today - add salt, let it sit overnight and throw them in the oven in the morning and see what happens. Either way they're edible in the car so it works!

Thanks!

16. Blondell

Blondell Former Postwhore

:lol:

17. MichelleM

MichelleM New Member

- 40g Steel Cut Oats
    - 70g frozen blueberries (I use the wild, organic kind - they cook/thaw quicker)
    - 13g ground flax
    - 15g nuts
    - cinnamon (to taste)

Bring 1 1/2c H2O to a boil and cook oats. Just before oats are done, stir in the rest of the ingredients. Cook/heat through until blueberries are "done". I've also subbed in fresh strawberries for the blueberries.

18. cdnmom2girls

cdnmom2girls Member

No protein?

19. MichelleM

MichelleM New Member

Not in the oats - I have some egg whites/eggs or Greek yogurt along with the oats.

20. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

:bump: