The Genetics No One Talks About (Part 1)

Discussion in 'Competitors Corner' started by Erik, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Rinn

Rinn New Member

I love this! Thanks Erik!

2. novamt

novamt Member

Love this, thank you. I'm not interested in competing but this was still helpful and a wonderful display of your ethics and professionalism. SO glad I found this place!

3. aknavy

aknavy New Member

Wanted to read more on this, but the blog links are now part of his Ebook. I don't really want to spend money to answer one question, so maybe someone here can answer....what relation does one's extremities being cold have to do with your ability to compete? Is this simply an indicator of lower metabolic activity? Thanks for the information.

4. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

i'd get your thyroid hormones PROPERLY tested. It can be an indicator of lower metabolic activity.

5. aknavy

aknavy New Member

I don't have that issue - I'm always warm. I was just wondering if in addition to lower metabolic activity, there were other issues....like it being an indicator of the inability to cope with dieting or that you may be more susceptible to metabolic damage.

6. zonedriven

zonedriven Member

Wow....great thread. I really want to focus on health and wellness...I have competed, but don't know really if I have the genetics for it. So, I am trying to decide if more contests are in my future...but not right now. Going to hang out here awhile and learn....

7. KCTheobald

KCTheobald New Member

Great information. I competed last year, and I have a family history of thyroid issues. At this point, I am not sure I want to compete again. I am going to try and learn as much as I can from this site. I have a notebook by the computer to take notes with! :)

8. AmandaB

AmandaB New Member

I really wish I had a chance to read this years ago! This was an enlightening post!!!!!

9. FitJen

FitJen New Member

I was given way to little to eat, way too soon, with my first contest prep. 28 weeks of dieting. I felt horrible and no energy at all. I was freezing, yet I always have been cold, ( that's why I moved from Canada to Australia ;)) I didn't, however do any cardio, just weight trained 6x week. I felt weird sensations in my body too, like water dripping in me ( weird). However, after the comp was over, I didn't gain back tons of weight, I'm just back to normal, and feeling great. Am I safe to say that I have not suffered any damage then? I've always wondered about this. I don't eat as much as I used to, pre prep, ( i could eat tons and not gain weight. Of good stuff though) so I don't know if I could still do that, but no matter. Just would love a bit of reassurance that my time of stupidness didn't effect me. Happy to be working with Erik now. Fewf.

10. JodiShep

JodiShep New Member

great post!!! I am constantly cold ALL THE TIME!!! but its normal for me! haha!

11. Inatic

being cold all the time isnt 'normal'

12. Mn_Diezel

Mn_Diezel Member

This was a great read,Thanks Erik - I know many girls and guys with whom are unrecognizable onstage vs offstage. I am talking upwards of 30-70 lbs difference in some. It is remarkable at how many people think it is "normal" and that you should gain all that weight.

13. Piglet79

Piglet79 New Member

I contacted Erik via this site to inquire about wait listing for competition prep- I'm an "advanced" woman but have never competed. I've done "comp prep" before for Figure, and the past 3 years have been training and following nutrition for bodybuilding. I've been told by coaches I have the "structure" to compete in pretty much any division I should choose (my last trainer said I'm a "chameleon" in that regard) but I'd like to know, flat out, if I'm possessing of the necessary genes, or at least most of them, for even competing just once. Before I start a prep again, it would be nice to know if I would just be setting myself up for damage and drama.
    Would it suck to be told I don't have competition genetics? Sure, but what would suck way more would be the vicious cycle of diminishing returns. I agree with so much of what Erik writes, that even if not competing, continuing to follow sane, balanced plans is my ultimate goal, physique wise.
    If anyone is able, maybe I could send some recent pictures? And explain what I've experienced diet-wise and chemical messing around-wise? I'd really appreciate some sanity and no empty compliments or praise.

14. fitforfat

fitforfat Member

I dunno about that, I've always complained about being cold. I have what a friend dubbed "dead people extremities" and all of my blood panels were normal.
    Been this way ever since I was a kid and like house temperatures a minimum 80 degrees. Wish my roomies could take it!

15. Piglet79

Piglet79 New Member

you could have Raynaud's, it runs in my family but I have yet to get it. It tends to be in older/elderly people but I know younger people can have it. It could also be a side effect from certain medications. Do your hands and feet often look "whiter" than the rest of you, with some reddish patches?

16. fitforfat

fitforfat Member

Nope, no discoloration. Not hypothyroid, not a smoker, not anemic. Just cold :)

17. Inatic

what are 'normal' ?
    what is your body temps?

18. fitforfat

fitforfat Member

I got a full blood panel done and everything was in praise worthy range. I'm far from hypothyroid and even when I was a vegetarian, my hemoglobin test was 13 g/dL. I do have inconsistent blood pressure readings, though. When I'm incredibly hydrated, it's pretty low, but not faint worthy range or anything. Dehydrated, it's on the high end of healthy.

I don't even own a thermometer, but it was always normal when I faked fevers as a kid. I'll have to remember to try it when I'm at a friend's house.

19. fitforfat

fitforfat Member

Oh dang, Ilene. Need to try a different thermometer. Took 3 readings and my friend's said 95.4, 94.5, and 96.0. Now I'm curious!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  20. fitforfat

fitforfat Member

Now it said 97. This thing is whack.