The Egg White Thread

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Amy, Aug 25, 2011.

1. patti

patti Active Member

Yeah, I find I have to kind of use my imagination when I'm eating it :rolleyes: to convince myself it tastes like pizza. Although, there have been a couple times when it was pretty darn close - and that was because I'd hit juuust the right seasonings in the EWs to give it the right flavor.
    Another trick to getting it crispy enough is to cook them in a large enough pan that it creates a thin crust. The broiler works well, too!
    And if all else fails...it's Pizza Scramble! :lol:

2. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

i use a LARGE skillet when i make mine..

3. gymrat_at44

gymrat_at44 Member

Well, I did use a large skillet - guess I was afraid to over cook it or burn it. Just seemed like a long time watching egg whites cook. Will definitely try it again.

4. stephm2010

stephm2010 In Motion

More spices gets me a crisper crust. I also cook till its almost done then turn the stove down to very low and let it rest on the pan till it crisps up and shrinks a little.

5. jamistar77

jamistar77 Well-Known Member

5 egg white

6. LoriZ

LoriZ Member

Yeah, I just totally got sucked in too.

Anyone ever try reheating the EW pizza? I usually prepare my meals ahead of time and pack them up to take to work or wherever. I'm guessing it'll lose it's crispiness if it's reheated. Anyone try it?
    I'll have to find a way to fit it in somehow...

7. Buck

Buck New Member

Definitely trying several of these ideas. Especially the pizza. Must. Find. Ways. To. Stay. On. Plan...

8. cdnmom2girls

cdnmom2girls Member

Sophie's Egg White Muffins

Got egg whites on your plan for M1? Got some fruit in there too? Super! 'Cause you're all set to make yourself some super-duper Egg White Muffins!

*Many of us here at LBF really like our pumpkin egg white muffins, so that's what I'll be using in the recipe below. Feel free to sub any fruit you like. I've made them with bananas, blueberries, apples. All yum!*

**Pumpkin also adds some density to the muffins, so feel free to use a mixture of pumpkin for texture, and other fruit for taste if you'd like**

- egg whites (whatever is on your plan)
    - 60 g pumpkin (this equals 1/3 of a fruit serving)
    - cinnamon to taste
    - pumpkin pie spice, or nutmeg to taste- powdered stevia

Heat oven to 375F.

Mix together egg whites, pumpkin, and spices till all blended together. Pour into prepared muffin pans about 2/3 full. (I use silicone cups, or you can spray yours with nonstick spray. I don't use paper cups, but I imagine the egg would end up sticking to them something fierce, so I'm going to suggest not using paper cups unless you want to eat the paper lining too). Sprinkle tops of muffins with a dash of cinnamon and stevia (this gives them a bit of a crunch when they come out of the oven). Pop them in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes. Tops should be dry. Let them sit a few minutes to continue baking before removing from pan.

+I find the taste isn't "eggy" at all if allowed to cool. I'll usually prep enough for 3 days' worth and place in the fridge.
    ++I'll usually get 1 muffin/egg white. Sometimes I make mini-muffins by using mini muffin pans - 4 egg whites makes 12 mini muffins!

Enjoy! :cheat:

9. amfmcooks

amfmcooks New Member

Great ideas, I do also add egg whites to my oatmeal.

10. Blondell

Blondell Former Postwhore

Really? :yucky:

11. acechick19

acechick19 New Member

You guys are so creative! I wish I could figure out how to spice it up:)

12. Blondell

Blondell Former Postwhore

Take notes from those here on the forum. That's what I do!

13. MikeHankins

MikeHankins Member

So glad I found this thread. The eggs every morning dont bother me... Its the time it takes to prep, cook, eat and semi-digest before my AM workout! I timed it this morning and it took 40+ mins to get my meal 1 in. Then when I got to the gym 20mins later I felt way to full to eat. I read a blog that Erik had wrote, or maybe a Q&A, anyway, he was talking about if you cant get all of meal 1 in then eat 50% before training and 50% after. I think I would much rather sub eggs for protein powder and blend that with oats and a banana... I could do that in 5mins vs 40mins. I was really working at getting it down quick this morning.

So whats some opinions on subbing eggs with protein for convenience?

14. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

Id clear it with Erik and see what he thinks.

15. MikeHankins

MikeHankins Member

Actually its Amy. But I plan on it. She requested I not sub for 1st, 2weeks. So Im gonna mention it. Its rough when I have to get up at between 3:45-5:45am depending on the day.

16. patti

patti Active Member

What if you pre-made pancakes or muffins that you could halve and just grab and eat on those mornings? Pancakes can be reheated in toaster or in pan really quickly. Make batches ahead, individually wrap in plastic wrap, then freeze portions.

17. MikeHankins

MikeHankins Member

I would love that. Now I just need to figure out how to use my food on my plan to do so. And use ALL of it.

18. patti

patti Active Member

Amy's got a cute little cookbook with recipes that might be fun for you to try (Curls & Whey) - and many of the recipes are plan friendly.
    Otherwise, to get you started, you can check the recipes threads here on the forum.

Basically, start with measuring your amount of oats - grind them in the blender, food processor or Magic Bullet (you DO have a Bullet, don't you?? :shades:)
    Add your amount of EW's, some flavorings, a portion of your fruit serving (generally 1/3 to 1/2 of fruit serving) and stevia to taste (usually a packet or two, or if you've got the pure stevia powder use about 1-2 of the tiny scoops that it comes with)
    There's a basic on plan blueberry pancake recipe I found somewhere here that's a good one to start with:

Oats
    1/4-1/2 tsp baking powder
    cinnamon (1/2-1 tsp)
    Stevia
    Egg Whites
    1/4-1/2 tsp Vanilla (you can always experiment with different extracts to get a flavor you like: lemon, maple, coconut...you get the idea :wink:)
    water (enough to make batter-like consistency)

Blend dry ingredients into flour
    Add EW's, vanilla and water and blend till smooth. Let sit for a minute or two to activate baking powder.
    Hint: Many have started adding a teaspoon of white vinegar to their batter to help fluff the pancakes a bit
    Add a portion of your blueberries & fold into batter.
    Then cook them as you would regular pancakes. You can then use your remaining fruit as a side or as a topping to your pancakes. Sometimes I'll mash up some banana and mix it with Walden Farms Pancake syrup and pour that over the pancakes.

If you make a few batches, let them cool, then wrap each one individually in plastic wrap & freeze the portions in individual freezer bags. Then on your early workout days you can grab a few pancakes & toast 'em up for a quickie! Then, you can finish them later - but not with your PWO meal. I think it's okay to eat the remainder about an hour or so later.
    Hope this helps!

19. Emma

Emma Member

Here's one I made yesterday, I usually add water and make these into pancakes but I thought I'd try muffins

1/2 cup oats
    1 Scoop Sun Warrior rice protein in vanilla (obviously use what ever powder you fancy)
    1/4 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 tsp baking powder
    3 egg whites (feels weird to see EW, those are my initials!)
    40gm blueberries

Blitz oats into a fine(ish) powder then add protein, cinnamon and baking powder and blitz again to mix, then add egg whites and blitz until mixed.

I managed to fill three small paper patty pans with this mixture.

Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 15 minutes and nom nom nom

I had mine for breakfast, it's an easy on the go meal.

309 calories
    33 grams of protein (this will differ depending on the type of powder you use)

There was no need to add stevia as there is enough in the sun warrior protein already.

20. patti

patti Active Member

:thumb:
    Muffins & mini loaves are a great option, too!

Sorry about the "initial" confusion :laugh: