The 5x5 Routine

Discussion in 'Training' started by PowerManDL, May 7, 2006.

1. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

I go up in increments smaller than 5 lbs. using spring collars. Each one weighs 1/2 lb., so I add three to each side when I want to make smaller jumps in weight.

2. fluteangel

fluteangel Well-Known Member

Another good idea! Our gym only has the standard ones that are all metal (no black grips on the end), not sure which ones you're using, but are each of those 1/2 lb. as well?

3. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

I think we're talking about the same thing:

[​IMG]

4. fluteangel

fluteangel Well-Known Member

Sweet, thanks! We are talking about the same things.

5. This might seem like a dumb question, but....did anyone's nutrition change when they started 5x5? I'm going to be starting Madcows 5x5 on Monday, but I don't really know if my carb/caloric needs would be the same as if I was on a regular hypertrophy program.

Can anyone offer insight into this?

6. Erik

Erik Admin

Nothing about a 5x5 mandates special nutritional considerations, no.

Eat enough to grow.

7. Alright. I had just heard some controversial things, like some people saying you'd need more carbs on a strength program, etc. but wasn't sure if it was just "broscience" or not.

Thanks!

8. Erik

Erik Admin

It's not a high volume program by traditional bodybuilding definition so I'd argue the opposite if I were forced to take a stance.

5x5 isn't tremendously glycogen depleting.

9. That's what I was thinking too. I guess I'll just have to test the waters to see what my body will respond best to, carb-wise. :huh:

10. Plasma

Plasma Member

As stated, eat enough to grow. Get your protein in and find enough calories to fuel the workload. If doing the periodized version of the 5x5, the weeks 3 and 4 can be brutal on the body, most especially the middle workout of squats, pulls and overhead pressing. I've had the week four workout take more than two hours to complete and I've finished it feeling completely drained. Allowing for recovery can be crucial to making the most of the 5x5.

11. dwelsh4

dwelsh4 New Member

My project

Ok guys I need your help. I am a professional chef/Executive Chef. My business is centered around food. Tasting food and pairing different foods is the foundation of what I do. The pitfalls are obvious. I refuse to submit to the idea that I can not have the body I want and still do the job. So I must educate myself. That is where I need help.

I need to have a clear plan on the use of weights and weight loss. 30lbs.
    I am 56, 6'0", athletic and muscular build 210 but want to drop done to 180.
    Have had a hip replacement. Otherwise in great health. No drugs no alcohol, clean, no diet pills.

I need info on hunger control/ best stratagies , hormones ect

I am an avid reader. I read everything, so suggest things for me to get up to speed so I can get this done!

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Chef Dan
    ps I am going to try and design some great food from this that will be published for all to enjoy!

12. Erik

Erik Admin

Dan, welcome to the board. This post will get more views and comments from other board members if you start a NEW thread in the forum.

13. chickadee1020

chickadee1020 Member

I just started the 5x5 routine last week. How many different exercises, sets, and reps would your recommend doing for the "accessory" portion of the workout. Also, should I stick to just doing this work out 3 days per week, or add in a day or 2 of weights or cardio?

Deanna

14. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

What do you mean add a day or two of weights? It's a 3 day program. Follow the protocol.
    See how you do with the workout and then consider two sets.

I wouldn't add cardio to start.