The 5x5 Routine

Discussion in 'Training' started by PowerManDL, May 7, 2006.

1. fluteangel

fluteangel Well-Known Member

Ok, one last question about the cardio; is it better to do it after a workout or on an "off" day or either?

2. Scarl3tbutt3rfly

Scarl3tbutt3rfly Motivated and ready!!

I would say either.

3. Erik

Erik Admin

Performance relative to previous sessions is a good place to start.

Not sure what it 'feels' like to grow muscle though.

4. Erik

Erik Admin

Yeah, probably either if it's low intensity work and not for too long.

I'd personally do it on an off day myself.

5. fluteangel

That's what I was thinking. 30 minutes probably isn't a hard and fast rule, think I could get away with only 20? If I wanted to just go for a leisurely bike ride around town and it took an hour, that wouldn't be screwing myself over, would it?

6. Petro

Petro Well-Known Member

Angela!:sad: how can I say this nicely.....you are as sweet as can be, but I just sort of want to pick you up and shake you really hard

I want you to re-read what you just wrote, go back and re-read some of your other posts...I would worry more about the calories you are burning and cortisol you are drumming up by stressing if you should do 29.5 or 29.75 minutes of cardio than the actual cardio itself.

Listen, I am about as obssessive compulsive as they come, but sweetheart....you need to let it go...enjoy the process, work hard, eat well and watch your progress...Details are important to a certain extent but there is a line....and you have most certainly crossed it

I say this with all the love in my little heart:angel4:

• Like Like x 3
  7. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

I have to agree with this. :lol3:

8. fluteangel

Hahaha! :lol: I know, I know! I figure just doing something a couple times a week is fine, I didn't think it really mattered; just wanted to cover my bases. ;) Haha, ok, once again, I will squelch my inner questioner and do cardio when/if I feel like it/have time and otherwise not worry about it. I HAVE been focusing on tracking my calories, seeing how my body responds to the training AND food and I'm learning as I go - I've just never done a bulk before - EVER and never trained this way either EVER, so when I don't have a trainer to just tell me what to do, my brain struggles to want to understand every thing and the reasoning behind it. My inner student/NERD has a hard time just letting go and figuring it out as I go. Guess that's why I was in school for so long....;)

9. Erik

Erik Admin

Couldn't have said it better - literally. My version would have been a bit more blunt. :lol:

10. fluteangel

What all is considered an auxillary movement? Right now I'm doing bicep curls and tricep extensions, and only on Monday I do hyperextensions. I REALLY want to add more size to my delts and not seeing much improvement there yet (I know, I know, it's early), but would a side lat raise or any other type of isolation shoulder movement be ok to do with the 5x5 or should I wait till it's all done, diet down and do a specialization bulk? Definitely don't want to overtrain, but if I can focus on my shoulders a bit more directly...As it stands now, I'm just doing the shoulder machine on Wed - for support reasons (aka funky shoulder - it would fall out of socket if I lifted heavy weights on military press).

11. Scarl3tbutt3rfly

Scarl3tbutt3rfly Motivated and ready!!

Of course this coming from the "volume queen" (Im talking about me :p). Since I switched to my new program (thanks again Smuggie) I had originally debated adding additional shoulder exercises too. However after doing the routine a couple of weeks now, my shoulder press day in particular, is already exceptionally hard on my shoulders already, as I do some chest presses, etc too. I would say, if you arent feeling it in your shoulders, adding 1 extra lateral shoulder exercise shouldnt hurt anything, especially if you feel it is a lagging body part. However, take into consideration what you currently are doing that is already working them, ie bench presses, back rows, etc. And then decide if based on those, do you need more? Like I said though, if they are really 'lagging' behind then I would add it, if not, I would just stick with what you are doing. Ive had to train my mind to look at the exercises Im doing as not just training the part intended (chest presses only working chest for example). To wrap my mind around the idea I do NOT need more. Now if they part is seriously lagging behind, then maybe you arent giving it enough stimulation and go for it, but remember muscle growth takes time.

• Like Like x 1
  12. fluteangel

Thanks Butterfly. I have been keeping my mouth shut and just doing the exercises for the last few months to see what would happen, as I'm not really hitting specifically, those lagging bodyparts, as they get hit in the compound movements. After 2 months, I've put on 8 lbs. which is great, and I can see where the muscle is going - my back FOR SURE, and my chest have gotten the most muscle growth, with my quads coming in after that. My shoulders really don't look like they've changed much, nor my hams, so it still concerns me. Thanks for the clarification! I'm going to be changing the shoulder machine on Wed. to incline bench press and we'll see how that affects my shoulders, then if still nothing, maybe I'll throw in Erik's one arm lat throws? I threw in pull throughs yesterdays for hams, but thinking I'll switch that to something else, maybe SLDL's or ham curl.

13. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

You're welcome. :p

14. fluteangel

I've been plugging my numbers into the 5x5 routine spreadsheet, however, it goes up every workout by one pound. My gym doesn't have that option - the lowest our weights go on plates is 2.5 lbs. I h ave just been upping everything by 5 lbs every week (2.5 on each side). I've come to the point in the program where my form is starting to suffer at the end because it's getting too heavy (aka: I'm stuck) so I've hit the wall with weight. Since I can't up the weight by one pound every week, should I put 2.5 lbs. on the bar on one side and just lift it unevenly? I tried that with the bench and that ended up not being a pretty picture....

15. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

do not lift with uneven wts, that isnt safe.

Do you have wrist wts, sometimes you can add weight that way. A good investment might be to get some fractional plates going forward if not able to right now.

16. Noel Clark

Noel Clark Senior Member

Like Ileen said you definitely should get Fractional plates. I love mine and it helped with both Benching and Push Press when I could go up by 5lbs.

17. fluteangel

I don't have wrist weights, but good idea. Fractional plates, do you mean go buy .5 or 1 pound plates? Good idea...

18. Noel Clark

Noel Clark Senior Member

19. RpH

RpH I'm actually educated

What I've been doing while bulking is instead of fractional plates, I've just been doing an extra rep, so I guess it would be 6x5. By the time I can get through this, which is usually one week, I'm ready for a 5lb jump. I haven't hit my top end yet but it's worked good so far.

20. Petro

Petro Well-Known Member

I've actually been doing this too