The 5x5 Routine

Discussion in 'Training' started by PowerManDL, May 7, 2006.

1. Erik

Erik Admin

Who cares if you're never sore? Soreness doesn't matter and is not an indicator of an effective workout.

Why don't you try doing 200 reps of triceps pressdowns - your muscles will 'burn' - do you think it's productive?

It's just lactic acid/metabolic byproduct build up.

And define working hard - you can work hard doing stupid stuff - that it's stupid means it doesn't matter if it's hard. It's ineffective.

Smarter comes first.

Because it just isn't. It has nothing to do with muscle growth. it's more about inflammation to connective tissue, often due to a novel eccentric stimulus.

Performance.

These are not metabolic workouts - you're not going to be cardiovascularly taxed like you would a metabolic workout.

Depends on the person and their goals.

2. Noel Clark

Noel Clark Senior Member

Erik put it all well.

How is your training intensity? During my bulk it was definitely a different kind of lifting. HEAVY DLing, HEAVY rowing HEAVY bench.....as so on. When I left the gym, I felt like I had worked my butt off but in a different way then say contest prep (metabollic) stuff. You can't just go through the motions and expect massive amounts of muscle to pop up. This stuff takes time. And never gauge the workout as "good" or "bad" due to soreness. Are you lifts increasing? Are you getting better?

3. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

Maybe it all looks like fat because fat gain is what you're focussing on out of fear all you'll gain is fat while bulking.

4. fluteangel

fluteangel Well-Known Member

I don't feel very intense at all but that's due to a couple different factors:
    1) never done a 5x5 and very few compound exercises, so I'm trying to get a "running start" by starting with very light weights
    2) see above = trying to get the form down correctly before moving up in weight and it seems that I am slow going with getting my form correct!

So I'm assuming once I get the form down on those few exercises I'm not used to, it will be much harder. I'm just used to doing different exercises with really heavy weights, and these feel light, even on the bench press. Once again, trying to get a running start to make as much progress as possible, but geez, it's frustrating!

5. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

What are you expecting? To be pushing heavy weights right away when you're not even familiar with doing basic exercises?

6. Meechel

Meechel Enjoying the summer!

:lol3: love you mo!

7. fluteangel

With the things I am familiar with (shoulder press, bench, etc. ) yes.

8. Noel Clark

Noel Clark Senior Member

Youa ren't going to go from weak to strong just because you ate some carbs. It is a progression. Each week builds on the next.

9. Meechel

Meechel Enjoying the summer!

I have been lifting for year now and I haven't increased my strength as much as I thought I would but I have tried to increase from previous lifts.

My bench used to be bar only and now it is at 85 max ...that was using 2.5-5lb weights slowly to up it.

10. Erik

Erik Admin

Yes, because strength is like a light switch - once you flip it you have it.

Come on. :blink:

11. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

Angela, your expectations are unrealistic. You need to adjust them.

12. fluteangel

Duly noted.

Everything is such a radical departure from what I'm used to, not to worry, I've listened to you all and I'll shut up now, lift my weights and see what happens. :dope:When I get the form down, I'll worry then about upping my weight, but not until then. I'll also let go of the notion that I have to be sore or feel the burn or worn out and I'll wait a month or two and hopefully, by then I'll be able to see some changes; THEN I'll get back to you if I have questions. THanks everyone!

13. fluteangel

With the 5x5 program, with building muscle and strength being the main goal, how much (if any) cardio should I be doing? I know growth happens when you rest, and 4 days seems like a lot to me, although I'm definitely liking it! But I want to keep my heart and cardiovascular and lymph systems in good shape too, so what would you suggest cardio-wise so as not to be counter productive to muscle/strength gains?

14. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

I suggest some SS, maybe two short sessions a week.

15. Donna

Donna Member

So....how do you know when you have had an effective, muscle growing workout? Any indicators besides waiting to look in the mirror? The pump, the burn, muscle fatigue? What does it feel like to grow muscle?

16. fluteangel

Short meaning 10 minutes? 30 minutes?

And what about ab exercises? Do you basically just train them if you want to?

17. Noel Clark

Noel Clark Senior Member

30 min would be fine

18. Cathie

Cathie I have SFP :mecry:

I only train abs 2x/week. And I don't even do that much. Only to kill time before cycle class.

19. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

I do one ab exercise 2x a week. That's it.

20. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

Don't think simply in terms of your workouts contributing to muscle growth, because gaining muscle isn't just a question of working out. You have to consider your nutrition and recovery as well. Muscle growth takes place outside the gym and if you don't have all your ducks lined up you won't put on muscle.

Also, don't take what you commonly hear about the pump, the burn or even DOMS as indications you've had an effective workout, because they aren't indicators of that at all.