The 5x5 Routine

Discussion in 'Beginner Training & Nutrition' started by PowerManDL, May 7, 2006.

1. PowerManDL

PowerManDL Banned

It's not. Once you're beyond a certain point on the DL, training it even with sets of 5 on Wednesday probably isn't the best idea if you're doing the rest of the squat work.

2. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

What point is that?

3. PowerManDL

PowerManDL Banned

You should know better than to ask that.

4. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member

Did you ever end up getting that advance copy of practical programming?

5. PowerManDL

PowerManDL Banned

6. PowerManDL

PowerManDL Banned

7. Strive2Define

Strive2Define Banned

I just read this entire thread(well skimmed it..printed it out to read indepth later) What are the other advantages besides strength gains to this program?

8. Blondell

Blondell Former Postwhore

I suppose mass gains.:popcorn:

9. Strive2Define

Strive2Define Banned

I think this has been touched on but if one is dieting..should they steer clear of this program or is it okay to use although I guess you wouldn't see the same type of strength gains or could you?

10. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member

Di (Sportsgirl) experienced fantastic results using this type of program while dieting. She broke PR's in all of the big three I believe...

11. GqArtguy

GqArtguy Active Member

Youll make strength gains, but not as fast as if you werent dieting. At the very least you would be able to maintain your strength levels.

12. Strive2Define

Strive2Define Banned

Thanks!! I think I will give this a go.Time for a change!

13. PowerManDL

PowerManDL Banned

Depends on the diet.

If you're just using a mild deficit, you can use it just fine.

If you're doing something pretty severe in terms of low calories/low carbs, you can still use the structure, but you'd need to edit the set/rep schemes some, and likely accept more of a maintenance position instead of gunning for rapid strength gains.

Di was using more of a mild deficit, and despite what she says she 1) got her share of ice cream and pie, and 2) is just a genetic freak when it comes to muscle and strength anyway.

Not to say you couldn't or shouldn't attempt it, you just have to keep these factors in mind. I still stand by the statement that programs following this structure, or extrapolations of this structure that come with progression, are about the best way anyone can apply weight training.

14. Bufalini

Bufalini Member

I have been doing the 5x5 workout for about 6 weeks, and love it. Everything is increasing pretty consistently except for the bench press. How can I get that to increase? any help?

15. MichelleS

MichelleS Well-Known Member

I had the same problem I think mine was mental. I would increase every set by 5# to help with it.

16. MichelleS

MichelleS Well-Known Member

And Welcome :wave:

17. fluteangel

fluteangel Well-Known Member

Just curious, why is the squat on Wednesday with the Deadlift? Isnt' doing both too taxing to the CNS in one day?

18. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

No, because you're squatting lighter on Wednesday.

19. DarkAnimal73

DarkAnimal73 I pity Da Fools

:thumb:

20. fluteangel

fluteangel Well-Known Member

I'm doing the 5x5 to gain strength and mainly muscle as I'm bulking right now because I want to do shows next year. Anca was telling me that in setting up my own program I need to make sure I change up the workouts ever 4-6 weeks. For standard programs, I understand that, but that doesn't necessarily apply to the 5x5 because of the nature of it, compound movements, constantly increasing weight, etc. or does it? I'm on week 7 and finally getting close to my 1 RM (soon to be former!)