The 5x5 Routine

Discussion in 'Beginner Training & Nutrition' started by PowerManDL, May 7, 2006.

1. Cindy Day

Cindy Day Well-Known Member

Blondell - I've done BGB before which utilizes 5X5 and I used 2-3 min RIs.

HTH but I like Matt's answer. ;)

2. PowerManDL

PowerManDL Banned

Blondell you should know that your post actually prompted me to start on an article.

It's titled "There Are No Programs".

3. Blondell

Blondell Former Postwhore

4. snakecharmer

snakecharmer It's a hypnosis thing

I want to start this program tomorrow. I'm at work right now and cannot print it all out until I get home and can't read all of it right now (skimmed over it).
    I have a question: What is a JS row? Thanks. :)

5. PowerManDL

PowerManDL Banned

That's actually the topic of the article in question, but yall have got to stop thinking of this as a "program".

It's not a distinct collection of sets/reps/weights that you just do unchangingly. To really get the benefit of the 5x5, you've got to break that mentality.

This is a dynamic training system that encompasses more than just what happens at the micro-level. Much like Westside, most good OL systems, and other auto-regulating (and very productive) approaches.

6. matt

matt Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Dave Tate wrote an article about that called your program sucks. About why you should not follow a set program, but create something (a template) that works for you from writings and things you've learned along the way...

7. Erik

Erik Admin

You can't expect people new to this concept to 'get that'. This kind of realization about dynamics comes with time and experience .... and sadly for many, never at all. :lol:

8. PowerManDL

PowerManDL Banned

That's why I can still make money strength-coaching :D

9. Jared

Jared I would like some cheese.

It is not better to teach a man to fish; it is better to sell fish.

10. matt

matt Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Actually it is better to eat fish

:wink:

11. snakecharmer

I'll admit I am new to this concept. If someone could explain it a bit more, I'd appreciate it.

12. matt

matt Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Read this

13. snakecharmer

Thanks, Matt...reading it right now. :)

14. PowerManDL

PowerManDL Banned

Ya, that's a good article from Dave. I've got my own take on it in the works too, just cause I like adding my 2 cents to everything. Also Dave likes to write everything from the standpoint of the Westside template, which tends to confuse people as it doesn't occur to them to see the Westside template as anything but a discrete program.

THe principles of flexibility he outlines will apply to 5x5 (as Glenn Pendlay noted earlier in this very thread) and to any other program. Some of you might recall me bitching about retarded programs from Joel Marion and T-Mag in general for this very reason.

15. snakecharmer

I started this yesterday and am very excited about it. :)

I love the JS rows. :lifter:

16. mamaj

mamaj The Recess Monitor

What is an Olympic Squat and JS Row, just to be sure?

17. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

For practical purposes we'll say an oly squat is a full squat. JS rows are also known as Pendlay rows.

18. mamaj

mamaj The Recess Monitor

Sorry, but what is a Pendlay row?

19. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

I knew you were going to ask that question. :lol:

It's essentially a strict bentover BB row that you start from the floor. There's no hip extension involved. You also use a use an explosive concentric.

Here's more info about it:

http://www.midwestbarbell.com/totalelite/index.php?showtopic=498&st=20&p=9976&#entry9976

If you're not pulling with the big plates you'll most likely be bent over too much at the starting position. You need to find a way to raise the bar off the floor to counteract that.

20. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member

I ripped this off from another site. It summarizes the different approaches to 5x5 according to one's experience level:

With regards to Stage 3, my thinking is that the deadlift should be kept at maintenance or lighter. Thus, one should choose to pusher either the 1x5 squat,5x5 squat, or the deadlift. Once you achieve a certain level of strength, IMHO, I don't think it would be a good idea to push up the squat and deadlift at the same time.