Sweeteners

Discussion in 'Diet, Nutrition and Supplements' started by chrispl, Jun 2, 2013.

1. chrispl

chrispl New Member

I'm curious what others are using? I use Stevia daily in my oatmeal and yogurt. i am wondering if I should switch it up and also use honey for a healthier substitute?

2. cdnmom2girls

cdnmom2girls Member

The reason most use Stevia is it's calorie-free. You can use whatever you want, but if you're counting cals and macros you'll need to include the honey as a carb.

3. deedeey

deedeey Member

I hate the aftertaste of stevia. Just can't do it. I use Splenda, yes, much controversy on it, but for my coffee, I'm not changing :)

4. Spencer

Spencer New Member

I love honey but i also use brown sugar and evaporated cane juice. Im undecided about Stevia, it weird but sort of good and guess what makes vitamin water taste how it taste? ...Stevia

5. stephm2010

stephm2010 In Motion

I like my Stevia. Different brands vary in taste. I have used a few splenda products, but if I go overboard I get major GI stress.

6. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

stevia in the raw tastes better to me but i just the flavored liquids.

7. Emma

Emma Member

How are the flavoured liquids? I was hovering in front of a shelf of flavoured stevia drops at the health food shop today but didn't want to sink $16 into something if it tasted foul.

8. Inatic

*I* like them. some flavors are mild and some are stronger.
    I started with the little trial tins. that came with lemon, orange, choc raspberry and vanilla. Loved those.

Choc, choc rasp, van and english toffee are favorites. I tend to use the trial sized flavors in sparkling water.

With the drops, a little goes a long way some always under 'dose' and increase.

online via amazon or ebay you can get smaller sizes/cheaper.

9. Emma

Emma Member

I'll see if Amazon will send them the Australia, some foodstuffs won't get shipped here (even though they are available here), choc raspberry would be my pick and a little hazelnut in my espresso would be nice.

10. Emma

Emma Member

I just bought some from iherb.com I've used them before for other stuff, I got choc-raspberry and hazelnut, including postage they only cost a touch more than one bottle would here.

11. Emma

Emma Member

I've been using the choc raspberry for a week or so now and I like it, I use a few drops in my yoghurt which is M5 on non training days and I also use it in the oats I make my pancakes and muffins with.

I haven't used the hazelnut much yet. I don't mind a spot of hazelnut flavour in my coffee, but I don't take my coffee sweet, so I didn't really think that one through! I'm sure a use for it will crop up, it'll probably go well in the pancakes and muffins as well.

12. mcbell

mcbell New Member

I've only used the english toffee flavoured one, but might have to try the choc raspberry one next - I get mine from iHerb too.

13. Amy

Amy Just say no to CANDY!!!

I'm with Ileen- Stevia in the raw is my favorite.
    I like liquid ones okay, but you have to make sure you don't put too much. It ends up just tasting like chemicals IMO :yuck:

14. Fay

Fay Well-Known Member

15. stephm2010

stephm2010 In Motion

16. Inatic

hubby gets aweful stomach pains and bloating with anything ending in 'itol'