Splenda

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by funnyesq, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Strive2Define

Strive2Define Banned

Blondell, do you think having such a large amount of Splenda in your diet is affecting your fatloss or comp prep? Have you tried taking it out for a couple of weeks to see if you notice any difference?

2. funnyesq

funnyesq Member

Wow...I post something that doesn't end up with me getting bashed in the head. I'm a happy camper.

I guess the 2-3 packets every other day that I might consume is nothing.

My PP doesn't have sucralose...only fructose. So I guess I'm good there.

Gave up soda.

I bought some Ezekiel cereal (didn't know they made that too) and it needed sweetening IMHO so I got out the Splenda. I probably could tone it down to 1-2 packets. The other time I use it is with my Steel Cut oats.

3. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

Hope for one the size of Texas. :lol:

4. jaleena

jaleena Banned

How much fructose? If it's just a couple of grams, you're fine...but if that's the main sweetener, and there's a fair amount of carbs, I'd switch powders.

5. Fet

Fet The FAT Fet lady's singing....

Splenda:
    28g = 28packets = 1oz = 94cal + 25gcarb

Not sure how that compares to 1.5c ???

6. Strive2Define

Strive2Define Banned

I thought each packet was approx a tsp so if this is true, there are 16 tbsp per cup and 48 tsps per cup?? Would this be correct?

7. funnyesq

funnyesq Member

How much fructose? If it's just a couple of grams, you're fine...but if that's the main sweetener, and there's a fair amount of carbs, I'd switch powders. [/b][/quote]
    From the label:

Service size 2 scoops (I have 4 scoops over a day)

Calories: 100
    Fat: 0
    Sodium: 55mg
    Potassium: 130mg
    Total Carbs: 4grams
    Sugars: 4 grams
    Protein: 20 grams

I guess I'm okay.

My steel cut oats have no sugars.
    Ezekiel cereal/bread has no sugars (at least the ones I get).

I do watch...but I suppose I have to watch the fructose.

If I'm limiting my carbs to say 150 grams (upper limit) a day, would it be fair to say that the sugar is okay if most of it comes from natural sources like fructose, lactose etc?

8. jaleena

jaleena Banned

Exactly, Strive. Blondell's getting a meal's worth of cals from Splenda! :eek:

Funny, I think moderate fructose is fine coming from fruit, but I don't like added fructose. But for a total of 4g carb/serving, your powder is fine :)

9. Blondell

Blondell Former Postwhore

probably...i took it out for over a week not long ago and the difference wasn't enough to make me wanna give it up.

10. Fet

11. Strive2Define

Strive2Define Banned

Oh My gosh..if I did my math correctly and it is very possible I didn't considering I am a math retard...but anyhoo I calculated that if one is consuming 1.5 cups per day x7....1512 calories per week just from SPLENDA!!!!!!!!!!! :blink: :blink:

The equatiion I used was 72 tsps x3 x7= 1512

12. funnyesq

funnyesq Member

Thanks....in planning meals and macros though how do you decide if you are having too much fruit or too much natural sugar?

I'm clearly trying to eliminate unnatural sugar and so far I think the only unnatural sugar I'm currently consuming is the 2-3 packets of splenda but that is more like every other day.

I do note that when trying to eliminate or reduce "bread" even if healthy ezekiel wheat, my carbs are from fruit or vegetables. The latter have some type of sugar in them too. I guess that's what makes it a carb. The natural sugar.

13. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

There's no way 1 packet is a teaspoon.

14. Blondell

It has 90-something cals per cup right?

15. Strive2Define

Strive2Define Banned

There's no way 1 packet is a teaspoon. [/b][/quote]
    You may be correct..like I said I am a math retard. So how many grams are in a tsp?

16. funnyesq

funnyesq Member

17. Strive2Define

Strive2Define Banned

It has 90-something cals per cup right? [/b][/quote]
    yes I think you are right..I think it was 94 per cup..so maybe its only 987 cals per week

18. Fet

94cal for 28 packets. No way are 28 packets a cup.

19. Blondell

I don't know. I have checked on the cals in it though in the past, and belive it was about 96 cals/cup. I'm okay w/ that considering my cals are at 1700 right now and I weigh 150. I have to lower it anyhoo. Erik says so. :finger:

20. Strive2Define

Strive2Define Banned

well I would go and see but I don't want to waste the splenda :p