Spinning/Cardio and Bike/SS

Discussion in 'Training' started by Inatic, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

So i see it's noted that spinning isnt a good choice of cardio but Im assuming the bike is ok for HIIT.

What about SS on the bike as long as it isnt the intensity of a spin class?

Erik posted this quoted/ statement in Cathie's journal

2. Cathie

Cathie I have SFP :mecry:

I don't understand how it can make fat storage worse? However I can see how it would make building muscle more difficult.

Is it the position on a bike that promotes this? Wouldn't any time on a bike promote that than?

I disagree with this. You can make a spin class as difficult or easy as you want to. You can go as fast or slow or put less or more tension on the bike. So you don't have to be in an extremely high percentage of max heart rate if you don't go all out. Believe me, I've seen people look like they're going backwards sometimes.

3. Gnat

Gnat Well-Known Member

Never having taken a spinning class, I cannot comment on its benefits and/or disadvantages.

I can tell you that I use a recumbant bike for SS Cardio and enjoy that better than a standard stationnary bike. Better positioning for the back.

I asked Erik about using the recumbant bike when I first signed up and he gave me the go-ahead to do both SS Cardio and intervals with it. He did give me the :nope: for elliptical though.

4. Erik

Erik Admin

I gave you the go ahead for INTERVALS on it? :whut: If so, I rescind that recommendation.

5. Gnat

Gnat Well-Known Member

CRAP...really? I'm gonna have to go back and look...
    :cardio:

6. Gnat

Gnat Well-Known Member

Quote from my program:

"[interval training] can be done on the treadmill, outdoors, stationary bike, or step mill (I do not like the elliptical)"
    I guess I interpreted stationary bike as including recumbant, as this is what I have at home. Wrong?

7. Erik

Erik Admin

Yes, wrong. I'd write recumbent to refer to recumbent. Sorry.

8. Gnat

Gnat Well-Known Member

DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad we cleared that up!

Now I gotta get me a treadmill for home! Running out of room! :ban:

:love:

9. TEACHK

TEACHK Well-Known Member

I have one fav spin instructor who is a cycling coach and he does "true" intervals of varying intensity.

Hmmm, would love to know the answers to the above. I have lousy posture which I try to work on throughout the day & would hate to exacerbate it...but I do like bike riding & spinning once in awhile(used to ride on a regular basis years ago). And I was just going to ask Erik if an occasional Spin class is ok as a sub for SS.

10. Erik

Erik Admin

Or just go outside; winter is almost over.

11. Blondell

Blondell Former Postwhore

Thank goodness for that! I miss cardio outdoors.

12. Gnat

Gnat Well-Known Member

True. Today it's -15C. Sunny but brrrrrr....I'd rather wait till its around the 0C mark first.... ;)

13. Cathie

Cathie I have SFP :mecry:

Spinning promotes extremely tight hip flexors, leading to non-firing gluteus. It also creates a rounded back and tight pectorals from the riding position. These are prevalent obstacles that the majority of women already have to overcome, but are ten times worse in females who take spinning classes.

I just returned from my ART appointment and my guy said if you clip in or use a toe cage on a bike, whether in a spinning class or not, it will promote tight hip flexors. So as long as you don't use the toe cage or clip in, you will be firing your glutes.

14. wannabelean

wannabelean Active Member

What about alot of tension. I actively have to use them to push down on all that tension???
    I feel them burning and being used under a lot of tension....

15. donnajo

donnajo Feeling Strong!

Here is a thought.............Anything with repetitve knee flexion will tighten hip flexors.....just STRETCH them thouroughly after...I always stress stretching the hip flexors after i teach spin...stretching for optimum length-tension of any muscle group should be done anyway.....You could create tight muscles doing any repetitive activity if you don't stretch....so stretch the hip flexors after spinning.

16. Lynny

Lynny I like me.

Can someone pretty please give us some info on this? I don't understand why it would allow for more fat storage...

17. clc315

clc315 Active Member

I haven't read the article, but could it perhaps be a fat re-distribution/shifting pattern going on as opposed to actual storage? That's the only thing I can think of other than not being in a caloric deficit.

18. Adam

Adam .

Related to fat distribution and recumbent bikes, saw this on another board:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  19. Gnat

Gnat Well-Known Member

Hmmm....Erik..?

20. fluteangel

fluteangel Well-Known Member

:popcorn: