Social Support Networks

Discussion in 'Mindless Banter' started by Erik, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Sportsgirl

Sportsgirl Well-Known Member

I'm actually quite lucky in this respect. Most people I meet are really encouraging to me. They're always saying things like, you look really good or you should compete. And these are both regular gym people and people that don't work out. Whenever I go out and order something "healthy" I rarely get snide comments. In fact, last night I had my work mate defend me :love:... one of my friends said, "Why aren't you eating the fries" and she said to him "She's on a diet... well, trying to be healthy" :bitch: My hero!! :oops:

I don't know if it's cos they're afraid I'll beat them up or... :lol:

The only person that doesn't really encourage me is my mother because she doesn't like the BBer look, but I just laugh at her comments because they are quite hilarious.

2. char-dawg

char-dawg Mr. Observant

My immediate family is neither really supportive nor non-supportive. They'll laugh at some of the things I eat/do, but at the same time they shut up and listen when I tell how diabetes works or something. So, neither plus nor minus.

Friends, GFs, co-workers...pretty much case by case. I'd say about 70/30 on the non-supportive side, though. Seems like most people just can't leave what someone else does alone, and have to try to get the person to do things their way.

Unless someone really gets under my skin with a comment, I just blow them off. What they think doesn't matter to me. I know who I am.