Social Support Networks

Discussion in 'Mindless Banter' started by Erik, Mar 15, 2007.

1. MichelleS

MichelleS Well-Known Member

if I had my choice it would be the starburst if I was going to use the 44 cents

2. TillyT

TillyT All Over It

For me, supporting and understanding are two separate things.

Not everyone in my life understands why I do this, but those that really care about me fully support me regardless. Those who don't support me, or try to get me to eat off plan after I politely say "No Thank You", are the people who don't know me well enough or care enough about me to matter. They really have no effect on me. The important people in my life respect my choices, even if they don't agree with them.

I think that if someone important in my life didn't respect or support my fit & healthy lifestyle choices, it would say more about my relationship with them and their respect for ME than anything else. I don't know if that person would be still be an important part of my life if they didn't respect me. :shrug:

It always warms the cockles of my heart when my family or friends invite me over for dinner and say "Are you allowed to have a cheat today?" Or, "We've got a chicken breast and some veggies for you" even when they're eating something different. :love:

Oh, and this board is pretty OK too! :lol3:

3. MichelleS

So if that person that important person a SO or or something does not respect or support you goals that would be a problem.

I was asked if it was a cheat day tonight. I want Japanesse food. I got move your cheat to tonight (i'm not taking any for 3+weeks til I can handle food correctly) And when I say no its a fight that its his money and he can eat out if he wants. I told him I would not be sitting next to him if he did. And it goes back and forth from here

you guys see why I hate the support thing.

4. Erin

Erin Getting back to this...

then you guys need to come up with a compromise. Why can't you sit at the restaurant but not eat the food or let him go by himself? Yes he should support you but don't give in if its not what you want. YOu are putting th efood in your mouth, not him. The fact that you always give in makes him continue to nudge till you do, becase he knows you will. Stop giving in...as tough as it is...and pretty soon he'll realize you're serious and hopefully support you and if he doesn't :bitch: him

• Like Like x 2
  5. bubblebooty

bubblebooty Ms. Figure Olympia, 2025

i have support from my BF about half the time. we got in big fight recently about my "lifestyle". my mom doesn't like me too skinny or too fat or with protan on. my dad certainly doesn't get "bulking". my friends put up with it. but i use free meals for times i have to see my parents and friends. some guys at the gym "get" what i am doing and are good for a little ego boost. my boss gets it too and since i spend a lot of time with her, it really helps.

support is very important for my success. i share my life with my BF and he needs to be behind what i do. i need the emotional support.

the online community is important. i use it for my inspiration.

6. MichelleS

I smacked him the other day and it didn't go over well. :wavesad:

7. mich56

mich56 Well-Known Member

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to TillyT again.

8. sparkygirl

sparkygirl Well-Known Member

I am with you on this one :hehe:

9. sparkygirl

:lol:

10. sparkygirl

:haha: :haha:

11. TillyT

TillyT All Over It

Yes it would be. Respect is huge in my opinion. And it works both ways.

I'm sorry your SO doesn't respect or support you or your goals.

12. Lynny

Lynny I like me.

To the original question:

I don't get a lot of support from friends or family because A.) they don't understand. B.) Because of my past history of anorexia they think that I focus a lot on food/exercising. In REALITY, lifting heavy and eating good has helped my recovery by a TON. It's one of the biggest contributing factors in me getting healthy again. They do encourage me to keep going for size and muscles, though they don't understand eating clean.

My sister, who I live with, no longer bugs me when I don't eat what she does. She may offer something to me but doesn't make a big deal about it if I choose my food instead (99% of the time! :lol:). She also gets excited for me when I get excited about my strong workouts/improvement in muscles, so that's good.

My friends just don't live this kind of lifestyle so I don't even bother talking to them about it, really. :shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  13. lynn

lynn Psst...I know The SECRET

You teach people how to treat you....all my family knows and respects how I am ..because I have trained them that way...they might not get me being what they call "extreme" and to me is normal but they totally understand how I eat and train and that it makes me happy. I never compromise who I am to anyone and if someone makes a remark I take it as their ignorance and insecurity. I used to get offended if someone would say "why do you do this..or why do you eat that"...but now that I know who I am I have no problem speaking up and saying how I feel.

So yes..it's great to be surrounded with like minds with the purpose of supporting each other and understanding what we all go through..it only makes us stronger.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

Noel :pimpslap: :love:

:lub: Ali!

Hey, Im human ;)

Support, Yup! plenty of that.

I am very lucky to have always had the support from my hubby. Vic has been wonderful in anything I do. He might have had a doubt or two in his mind that i'd keep up with this, But he always gave 100% of himself and has totally been understanding of my WOE and dedication to fitness.

Our family on the other hand teased me , but i didnt care. I had the i'll show you attitude and I have. Nothing but admiration, pride and support from them as well. They always consider me in get togethers or are perfectly fine with me bringing my own grub. Teachers at school would sometimes tease me cause i was so dedicated. Guess who comes to me for advise.

If it wasnt for on line forums like this, I would never had meet Cindy. :love:
    I never expected to have met so many wonderful people that we have here, which have made imprints in my heart forever. I have to say that is pretty :shades:

Erik this is an awesome forum and Im so glad to be a part of it. Thank you for all the work you do. :love:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Blondell

Blondell Former Postwhore

I've been confused :blink:, giggled :lol3:, confused :blink: again and read some really nice post in b/w:thumb:this morning. I hated leaving to go to bed last night b/c this thread was just getting started. :lol:

16. Ali

Ali Senior Member

Oh, I hate that thought!!! Tell me, who here looks like a man? Besides the men. :lol:

I know it's not you...just saying. I hate when people say that to me.

17. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

Why? Eating like others do means looking like they do.
    OK. That's good. :D

18. Ana

Ana Think back...Move forward

:yeahthat:

I will go out with my family and order something grilled with veg I don't eat what they are eating.
    Eating does not eaqual fun, you can have an enjoyable evening without eating things you don't want to eat.

19. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

Lots of :goodpost: on this thread.

20. strongchick

strongchick Well-Known Member

Very interesting thread!

I get lots of support from my husband. He lets me do whatever I want. But I also compromise....if he wants to go out for dinner, we choose a place where I can either 1) find something that fits with my plan or 2) make arrangements for me to eat FIRST or AFTER. I think its somewhat helpful that since we keep kosher we're somewhat limited in eating out anyway....

As for our friends, they all know I eat healthy. And when we eat at their houses for Shabbat, they are very good about telling me what is in certain things, etc.

As for my parents, we just don't see them enough. But I make the similar compromises. I'm lucky in that no one I know really eats like a stereotypical American...no one I know eats fast food or junk food generally. I guess we're just weird that way.