sleepy after cardio

Discussion in 'Training' started by yummy, Jan 28, 2007.

1. yummy

yummy Auntie Yummy

why is it that I am soo tired and sleepy after cardio?
    If i do cardio in the start of my day my whole day is ruined because im either too tired or sleepy.

My diet?

2. Strive2Define

Strive2Define Banned

Why do you suspect it is your diet?

3. yummy

yummy Auntie Yummy

because i cant figure out any other reason... like i become half asleep

4. Strive2Define

Strive2Define Banned

Are you performing cardio on an empty stomach..are you following a low carb diet?What type of cardio are you referring to? SS, HIIT??

5. jrb1980

jrb1980 Well-Known Member

SS makes me feel like a million bucks when done in the am ; HIIT - not so much even when I eat before

To the OP, does you breakfast contain carbs?

6. PnW

PnW Waiting for my next meal...

Urmm... do you get enough sleep? :uhuh:

7. yummy

yummy Auntie Yummy

i play around with my cardio b/c thats what works for me...
    I do Intervals.
    I warm up at 3.5 for 1 min go up to 5 another minute and than i move up and down from 6.0 to 8.5 for 15 min and then i go down to 3.5 for 1 min and then i go back up to 7.5 for a couple of minutes and then when im closing i go back up to 8. for 1 min and then rest. for like 26min.

OR even if i go for a long run at say 5.0 for like an hour i still have the same impact when i finish my run and shower.
    My whole day is ruined and i become soo sleepy and tired.

I also do my cardio on different times. Either 11am, 4pm, 9pm, whenever i can make time b/c im a student. also recently I have been getting 6 hours sleep which really isnt the point. even if im having 8 hours of sleep im still tired.

so i run b'w meals too. like maybe before dinner, after breakfast ect

8. Strive2Define

Strive2Define Banned

Are you eating enough carbs? Could you be hypoglycemic?

If all else fails then the only thing I can suggest is perhaps stick to doing your cardio at night.

9. Espi

Espi perfumes, not chocolate!

Hypoglycemia was my first guess as well.
    Unless you don't want or can't do it, go do your cardio at night then, since becoming sleepy is exactly what you will want when you're about to go asleep soon.

10. yummy

yummy Auntie Yummy

I am b12 deficient. i have half of a regular person. I take injections. Still sleepy. It sucks b/c i do have to leave it till night but that goes against me. I mean im in the library for sometimes 12 hours and when i go to the gym at night im too tired to actually go to the gym.

And as for my carbs intake. I dont think im low in carbs.

11. Espi

What kind of B12 are you getting? Cyano or hydroxy B12?

12. yummy

yummy Auntie Yummy

cyano

13. Strive2Define

Strive2Define Banned

Well I am not recommending it but EC sure does give me a lot of energy before cardio.

14. strongchick

strongchick Well-Known Member

Caffiene pills.

15. Espi

Can you have them switch to hydroxy ? Have you had your levels checked?
    Cyano isn't particularly well absorbed. Hydroxy does a much better job. I'm taking sublingual methyl-B12 myself, but I'm not sure whether they inject that type.

I've recently been taking sulbutiamine and it's terrific. AFAIK it's giving energy, but without depleting your energy stores like ephedrine or caffein does where you're left feeling like a zombie once it stops working. Sulbutiamine is a vitamin B1-analog, so it's perfectly harmless.

16. radgirl

radgirl Give me da candy!!!

Yummy, this happens to me as well. This is why I find waking up at 5 a.m. and working out is very taxing on my body for the rest of the day. It doesn't matter if I eat, don't eat, I still get the same effect. In a few hours, I'm dead tired and ready to fall asleep. It sucks.

17. nutka

nutka Member

Low iron or anemia maybe?

18. homeschoolmom

homeschoolmom Well-Known Member

I'm right there with you. I find that the days that I do my longer runs(6 miles or so), that shortly thereafter I'm wiped out. Right after the run I'm fine, but an hour or so later I'm toast. If I get a PC snack and lots of water afterwards, I normally can prevent the crash or snap out of it. Could it be that you're getting dehydrated?

19. yummy

yummy Auntie Yummy

no i drink a lot of water. im peeing every 5 min so i know im not dehydrated :p sorry too much info :sully:

20. Jeff Rage

Jeff Rage Es Est Laichzeit!

I used to get very lethargic and absolutely ravenous after biking. I uspect that was due to hypoglycemia. I now try to drink Gatorade, and/or eat a bar when I go for long bike rides (like 2+ hours.)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2007