Religion and marriage?

Discussion in 'Mindless Banter' started by gymgurl, Jul 22, 2007.

1. gymgurl

gymgurl Member

How important do you think it is that you are of the same faith as your SO?

2. Gary

Gary Well-Known Member

Depends on how important religion is to you.

3. Blondell

Blondell Former Postwhore

:ditto:

For me, I'd not even date someone who was of a different religion. We can be friends, but that's as far as I'd let it go.

4. Gary

Gary Well-Known Member

Yeah, I am the same but on the opposite end of the spectrum... I know I wouldn't be able to deal with someone that was very religious for long, so I wouldn't pursue a serious relationship with them.

5. Blondell

That would depend on what one considers 'very' religious. I don't consider myself to be that, but I do have high moral and ethical values that I choose not to compromise on. However, I don't hold true, all that time, to the ritualistic stuff that comes along w/ religion and can't remember the last time I actually went to church. :oops: This come from a woman who's married to a PK. :lol:

6. straitshooter

straitshooter Active Member

I feel the same way.

7. Blondell

Here's a thought. How can you go about knowing if someone is true to their religion anyhow? What standards make that person 'true' to their faith? I know what my answer would be to this, but how do you all deal w/ it?

8. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

That's not religious.

That's having integrity and self worth.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sarah

Sarah Well-Known Member

response to the OP: depends on what your mentality.

:ditto:

10. accismus

accismus Active Member

I think it is VERY important. I'm not religious and I have to date someone who is the same.

11. Bunny

Bunny Blessed

Like Gary, I would prefer a partner who isn't overly religious. Spirituality, however, is different. I definitely would want to be in a relationship with someone who had similar beliefs to mine.

12. Monkey

Monkey Member

:yeahthat:

• Like Like x 1
  13. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

:ditto: and :yeahthat:

14. Fitwolf

Fitwolf Esta mi!

:yeahthat: again,

and I agree with Jon... having principals and morals isn't religious... I'm the same way but I'm definitely not religious.

And I'm with Bunny - I think there's a huge difference between being religious and being spiritual...

so no original thoughts here I guess! :lol:

15. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

When do you ever have an original thought? :p

16. Neely

Neely lolz

Myself, I'm not a religious person.. in the sense that I don't go to church and I don't belong to a particular religion. I was never baptized or christened or whatever it's called. But that doesn't mean that I don't have a set of beliefs in that area (it's amazing how many people have thought I'm atheistic simply based on the fact that I don't belong to an organized religion :sad:).

I don't think that the person I'm with has to believe the exact same things as I do, but when it comes to the amount of involvement they have with a religion I'd like it to be similar to mine. If I'm with someone that wants to go to church every Sunday, I wouldn't go simply to please them. And I think that would become a subject of friction over time.

17. Fitwolf

Fitwolf Esta mi!

:grumble: I'm afraid all the thoughts have already been had...

18. Cris

Cris I Can Do This!

DH and I were raised with different religious backgrounds. However, since neither of us are very involved in an actual religious organization we have not really faced any issues apart from choosing where we would be married that have caused any real problem. Now that we have children, it has been a bit trickier as our oldest is now old enough to start forming his own opinions and beliefs. To that end, we have just made it a point to make sure he has had exposure to both and we are supportive of whatever he feels is right for him. He actually attends church much more regularly than either of us with his grandmother.

That being said, I think the real answer is that it is variable for all couples depending on how strongly you feel about your own views, how tolerant of other views you can be and whether or not you will be able to meet somewhere in the middle if and when children become involved....much like many other issues like spending, discipline, lifestyle choices etc should be discussed if you are entertaining the thought of entering into a lifetime committment with someone.

19. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

Good thing I'm a Brahmine. :muahaha:

20. Neely

Neely lolz

:scratch: