Rebounding

Discussion in 'Competitors Corner' started by Leah, May 4, 2006.

1. srayko

srayko New Member

Question: I know everyone is different but on average, how long does it take for the body to normalize? I'm 3 months post contest and miserable. I was very aware of the rebound and went directly into reverse dieting post contest. Unfortunately, my decades of dieting and 2 contest preps was all too much for my aging body (49). I went from 103# at contest to 123# very quickly - 13# of those pounds in 1 week. It's not the scale weight - I don't care about that. It's the body composition change. I am totally flabby - stomach rolls, etc. and my breasts grew overnight - from flat to @size C (and, no, I'm not happy about that - they have always been small) I've also had the digestive issues, water retention, severe urge to binge, anxiety and extreme fatigue. Obviously hormonal issues are going on but the nurse practitioner doesn't seem to be concerned since my thyroid levels are "normal". I'm post menopausal several years so that is not the issue. Anyone I try to talk to about this just seems to think "well, you're getting older...these things happen" They don't know me. I'm not just an older woman who let herself go and is unhappy with her body. SO frustrating and depressing. I'll never do this to my body again.

2. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

Im sorry. I understand how painful that is on your body and your mind.

Unfortunately there is no time frame. Its just going to take time for your body to level out and your hormones to normalize and build back your metabolic capacity. You cant diet or try to counter the weight gain.

Are you eating enough - have you gotten yourself out of a deficit yet?

Re the hormones, they are all likely downregulated due to the contests and the shift. You can call a compounding pharmacy and asked for a functional dr that gets it. They arent obsessed with lab ranges.

All the above will help in conjunction with TIME.

3. srayko

srayko New Member

Thanks so much for the reassurance, Ileen. I'm trying to just ride this out. I actually have an appointment with a naturopath next week. I have to drive 3 hrs to get to her (I live in a small town) Money is going to be a problem, though. I guess I was hoping I could get any lab testing down thru my NP. To me, the breast size thing just screams hormones. The NP offered to refer me to an endo. but I can't even get an appt. for 3 months and, like you said, he probably won't "get it".

I have increased my calories, mostly fat, somewhat but it's hard mentally when I've already gained this much weight. After fighting it for a while, I have given up all cardio. Like you said it doesn't work and I just can't physically do it - extreme fatigue, inability to recover, etc. Funny, I'll actually be thankful when I come out the other side of this. It has really opened my eyes to all the crap I was doing to my body. I couldn't see it at the time (I loved my fitness lifestyle) but the disordered eating and extreme exercise was NOT a good combination.

I had done a bunch of reading on the need for reverse dieting, etc. The thing is, with rebound, you just don't know how your body is going to react until you go through it. Now I know. Never again.

4. srayko

srayko New Member

Another question: is this destined to be my new weight ? Other than increased energy and less distention, what are some signs to look for that tell me I'm finally coming out of this?

5. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

I'd hope not; but cant say. When you get everything back in sync holding steady at maintenance calories and have stopped gaining..where the wt levels out. If you're calories aren't up at maintenance you have to work to keep raising them. And also finding out where your hormone levels are at.

THEN you can consider trying to take it back down, sensibly.