Rebounding

Discussion in 'Competitors Corner' started by Leah, May 4, 2006.

1. ncfarris26

ncfarris26 Nicole

:thumb:

(BTW nice avi. You have like the tiniest waist evah!)

2. Epolis13

Epolis13 Member

I have seen this A LOT in this industry. I've done 2 shows, and after 1 I gained weight back SLOWLY, and after the other, I gained 15-20lbs in a week. For my 1st show, I tapered w/circuits and HIIT - I think I saw a treadmill only at 2 weeks out. I was also well fed, eating no less than 1200 cals/day at he absolute LEAST. I also got multiple refeeds. For my 2nd show, I worked my way up to 90 mins of slow steady state cardio a day with no days off and was eating under 1000kcal/day by the end of my prep. My trainer wanted me to take Dyazide, but I didn't because that's just retarded. I know many girls who will step off stage after taking diuretics (Rx strength, not OTC water pills), cutting sodium, eliminating water, existing off of 800 cals/day, and doing 90+ mins of steady state cardio/day and gain 20lbs in a week. Is that normal? No. There are some trainers out there who say yes to that question.

It is all in the prep - truly. And as long as you don't binge eat for 7 straight days, you'll be fine. Just remember that your body has a certain "set point," and it's going to try to get back there. People would be foolish to think that they could or SHOUD stay at contest weight and contest body fat all the time. It's simply unrealistic and not at all healthy. But you also don't have to turn into fatty mcbutterpants after a show, either. It's a balance, but if you do it right, you'll be fine. Promise :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. gym1cat

gym1cat Well-Known Member

Agree with point about water. It is almost impossible to gain 15 pounds of fat or muscle in a week. It is mostly water. When we water deplete contest week we lose so much water. I lose 10 pounds the day before the show just from water

4. jen-fit

jen-fit Oatmeal Fanatic

Such a great thread. I've never had any "coaching" or help after a show, and the first few shows were the hardest. I really struggled with food - what to eat, how much, etc. I still do to some extent but my problem is reverse. I started limiting everything I ate because I knew it was "safe". Which led to boredom. I'm excited to be working with Erik to help me feel OKAY about eating a variety of foods again and still maintaining a healthy athletic physique. That's what I want more than anything. :cheat:

5. PEGS

PEGS New Member

I didn't even compete and I need help. Postponed my show due to my nerves, stalled fat loss and not being happy with my physique. Completely loss motivation, even though I still want to compete in April and there is a lot of work to be done.....was not prepared to lose the motivation the way that I did. Tomorrow is a new day.....time to get back on the horse!!

6. Erik

Erik Admin

A good quote:

"do not wait on motivation- you must look past that moment and foresee future consequences and results of action or non-action - looking for motivation is a fool's game - real motivation is an attitude, not a state of mind" - Scott Abel

7. PEGS

PEGS New Member

Great quote, and I feel FANTASTIC today!! Rocked my workout, feel good and got a great night's sleep. Today is a new day!

8. NoExcuses

NoExcuses New Member

This is great advice and I wish more competitors would post pictures of themselves when they are not in competition season so that anyone that is looking to go into a competition can see what they really look like. I have only done one competition and I did rebound fairly quickly. I didn't have an exit strategy. But I already had great habits so my body fat is an acceptable 16% (?) but it was hard to see myself softer when I was getting use to seeing myself more defined and cut.

9. teganrenee

teganrenee Member

Good morning ladies~
    I have been off the boards for awhile. I had to stop working with Erik fr now and go back to the bottom of the waiting list. :( I just did my 1st comp March 30th, and did pretty well IMO.

I have since only been to the gym 2 times, :sadface: and NOT followed my diet at all. I have been eating in a way that would make Erik shake his head with disapointment. I have gained all my wieght back (meaning from when I started with Erik, not when I started contest prep). Oddly enough I am not upset or depressed about it, I expected it. But what does bother me is physical not emotional; my intestinal system really hates me. I am constantly bloated, uncomfortable, and its not working as as it should. Not compaining, I know its all that i have done and not done since the comp.

SO~ Today is my first day back on track. I am getting kids off to school, eating my clean well rounded beakfast, and off to the gym. :weights2:

I am treating this like I have never done it before and starting fresh.... :)

10. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

just jump back to cleaning up your eats, follow the plan :) Would it help you to have a journal for more support? Jump in.

11. Tiffany Leigh

Tiffany Leigh Member

I just the same thing, but had a different impetus. I never made it to my competition because of a windfall of family issues and deaths, and so I needed the mental getaway. Between that, crazy busy work on high profile projects, and the competition, it was the comp prep that had to give. There was no gym for 2 weeks at all (that was a killer!), and then almost a month with 2-3 x a week. My first week back to the gym full force was last week, and nutrition was so-so. I'm the emotional eater. I regained all but 2 pounds. Funny it didn't really bother me either because I expected it, but my body was telling me that it didn't like what I was giving it. So I'm back in it with you. Going for 100% this week to tell my body to be patient, I'm working my way back! You know what to do too, so let's treat our tummies right! Hope your day is going well!

12. Natt

Natt Member

Hi Teganrenee
    My stomach has never been the same since my oct 2011 comp.....I lost control of my drive to train, was eating things That I would normally not even care about and rarely doing cardio!
    In terms of food, I was sensitive to wheat prior to comp but now after a not so great comp prep, I have serious bloating issues, and what's worse, sodium issues! My legs and face swell up if I have something naughty like pizza !
    I also have put on even more weight than before I started comp prep! It's not a great feeling looking in the mirror .

At the moment I am focusing on eating clean and training hard, but definitely not eating like i Was for comp....I just wanna get back into my jeans lol

Anyways, I know how u feel! Stay strong! You'll be back in no time !

13. FitJen

FitJen New Member

Very imformative post, thanks. Luckly my last coach warned me that I would bloat up for a few days after the comp, and then the bloating would go away and not to be alarmed. Also, of the dangers of wanting to binge. This was very helpful for me to be given the 'heads up'. I went from comp, to a nice few meals with family, to back to comp prep again, so I didn't have time to eat major. I hope in five weeks (after next comp)I won't fall into this trap. Having the info will help, in sure.

14. NoExcuses

NoExcuses New Member

I have only done one competition it was 2 years ago. At the time I craved certain foods that I was not ready to give up during competition prep. So you can imagine those are the foods I indulged in after the contest. My digestive system normally doesn't handle those foods very well. I usually bloat and hold water. So you can imagine one week after the contest what it was like. I have since determined I don't like to eat too much bread due to the wheat and bloat I feel within hours. Since my daughter has a more severe reaction to bread which I will assume is a gluten allergy we have greatly eliminated gluten type products in our home. I plan to do another competition but I did not realize what an emotional attachment to food can be not because of the food but what activities you do when eating certain foods. I associated eating popcorn with movies and this is a happy time spending a night indulging in popcorn, treats, watching a movie with my family. When I was in competition mode I really missed it. We still watched movies they still ate popcorn etc.. But it was the free feeling of just being in the moment with them that I missed. I addressed that after. I started renting movies and watching them in the a.m. to remove the association that you had to eat popcorn, treats, while watching a movie with your family. It has been 2 years now and I can watch a movie and eat popcorn or not. I choose to eat it when I want to not because of some emotional attachment that I feel that I am missing something. Also by being on the boards, reading facebook, I have learned to add some fun foods to eat that I always banned from my diet and it works. I started to respond to your post strictly about the bloat issue which is usually associated with foods that your body really can't tolerate very well due to allergens that can be very mild and not detected. I hope this helps.

15. Jeni7474

Jeni7474 New Member

I did two competitions last year (April & May 2011), and have gained back all the weight I lost pre-competition dieting/training. My trainer is a body builder and was great, and was great for the training. Really think I should have researched the dieting more. Never heard anything about the rebounding until after the competitions and felt like crap! I am still having so many problems with digestion, retaining water, and no matter what I do can not lose a single pound!! I am beyond frustrated and really wish somebody would give some insight as to where to go from here? Do I see a doctor, and if so what kind? Do I stop working out, stop eating certain foods... I am beyond frustrated and just want to feel normal again! I can be happy with my weight where it is, but not the way my body feels 99% of the time!!

16. Mn_Diezel

Mn_Diezel Member

Erik has written a couple articles regarding this...

http://leanbodiesconsulting.com/blog/2008/02/25/metabolic-slowdown-part-i/

http://leanbodiesconsulting.com/blog/2008/02/27/metabolic-slowdown-part-ii-2/

17. Shaboom

Shaboom New Member

Awesome post! Thanks for sharing :)

18. TLynn1

TLynn1 Member

What you are going thru is something that many of us have, it's sad. But the good news for you, as you may not see it now, is that you are here and connected with LBC and a great group! My story is similar except I went thru THREE years of post show-weight up/down horrible, uncomfortable stuff before I found Erik. It's alot of work emotionally but know that it is possible. You must let go of what you have been taught and learned from the other pre show contest prep-That is not easy but take it from me if you can try and do that it will be easier for you. If you are doing massive amounts of cardio try and stop for now. I know that sounds crazy and at one point I would have NEVER listened to someone telling me that....BUT your body is trying to tell you something and the longer you try and fight it the harder it will be.

Feel free to message me any questions :) Best of luck heading into taking care of yourself. You are not alone :)

19. Angelbb

Angelbb New Member

Wow! The post was incredibly informative as was all the comments So thank you all for sharing!

20. Ile

Ile New Member

Great information . I should read that 5year ago when I started doing shows.