Rebounding

Discussion in 'Competitors Corner' started by Leah, May 4, 2006.

1. patriciaann

patriciaann Active Member

and also your mindset:) Something I didn't appreciate a while back when I worked with you and you sent the emails and which I DO :) understand now so much better!

2. bamamama

bamamama Contemplating another show...

I'd like to resurrect this thread for those folks (like me) who are on the road to competing again after a long sabbatical (15 years for me...but fortunately I have been consistent with workouts...except during pregnancy). Anyway, the thread starter article here is dead-on to what happened to me after my second show in 1994. I got way too lean (4.2% if the measurement was right). I was totally out of whack and swore I would never compete again. Then came Figure...which, in my mind, is much more reasonable than BB just due to the acceptable higher body fat etc. I am totally focused on the competiton, but also hell bent NOT to screw up my body and mind like before. I am much more 'mature' now (no, wait, I will never grow up!:p )
    So, I think it's a realistic goal...

Any thoughts of others on how they got through the post-contest period with dignity and grace?

3. Jen

Jen Well-Known Member

Great goal!!
    If you follow a healtlhy contest diet, without overtraining, over cardio, etc then the transition to resuming a balanced diet is quite do-able and rather easy, both mentally and physically. You sound like you are in a much better place and mindset now, and know what you dont want to do. You can and will do it!! :D

4. fluteangel

fluteangel Well-Known Member

You won't rebound working with Erik or Noel :thumb:

I did my first show this past August. I only did the contest prep for 6 weeks, but I STILL rebounded. Sorry to say it wasn't with dignity and grace. But, like you, I vowed to never do that to myself again!:pirate:

5. bamamama

Jen - thanks for your thoughs and vote of confidence! I really feel good about this and working with Erik and Noel...and interacting with awesome people like you and the others I have found here is going to really be the frosting...(mmm...frosting...JUST KIDDING!) :suicide:

6. bamamama

SIX WEEKS! You must walk around like a machine! It's fun to see that you are in Panama City. I am up the road in Huntsville (well, I like to call it Huntsvegas :cool: and have LOTS and LOTS of great memories from trips to PCB throughout highschool and after (and some I can't remember thanks to the losers who bought alcohol for us minors back then...:blink:).

Thanks for your thoughts. I swear, one of my biggest goals is to avoid that dreaded (severe) rebound! Fourteen weeks! :weights2:

7. fluteangel

fluteangel Well-Known Member

Haha, yeah, it was awful. I worked with Mike Davies and while he definitely leaned me down, the 6 workouts a week, twice a day hour long cardios on top of two jobs left me next to no time for my marriage or life. And the diet wasn't much of a diet - no cheats even allowed! Nothing but fish and asparagus, a bit of chicken and oats and strawberries in the morning. :wigging: No wonder I rebounded! Then again, when I'm paying someone to follow their advice, I refuse to waste my money. Guess that's also why it can be more difficult for me to follow a plan I devise myself, I'm not paying me! :lol:

One of the things that made me certain it was the right decision to hire Noel was she said "I have never rebounded, never." And look at how amazing she looks and how healthy she is! THAT'S what I want. You're in the right place.

Hutsvegas - I'm from Columbia, an hour north of you! The whole world is down here for Spring Break right now. It's the weirdest thing...

8. Celestial

Celestial Member

ok, this totally made me laugh (thank you!!! because I need to laugh at myself!)
    and mostly because I can so relate! 8 weeks after comp and my middle is like perpetually distended! what happenned?
    I do feel good energy wise, too though!

9. orbie

orbie Failure is NOT an option

you know..... i read this and i am so glad that I did now. I can think about my "exit" strategy. How am I going to approach the post-comp blues? Is it inevitable? Like the "Freshman 15?" LOL? I don't think that I would like to take my pre contest diet and make it a permanent fixture of my life. It wouild be the easiest. I guess I have to get there to be able to cross a bridge huh?
    Great article!! Wonderful food for thought. :clap:

10. LoveToWorkout

LoveToWorkout Member

I'm so glad to have these threads to come to... I'm only a couple of days out from my competition and I don't want to rebound. Just gotta keep this stuff fresh in the mind.

11. Spressogirl

Spressogirl New Member

I am just starting with erik and am about 15 weeks out from my first comp...scared of rebounding and wasting all of the hard work and dieting on the pleasure of food, which usually lasts only moments. i am worried about not being ready in time, but from what i have seen on here, erik knows how to prepare us for whats coming.

12. Erik

Erik Admin

Given I'm only doing your diet, a lot of your rebound potential will come from what you do or don't do with training/cardio in the context of your actual diet.

Be wise.

13. Anca

Anca Well-Known Member

:yeahthat: and especially the bolded part.

14. patriciaann

patriciaann Active Member

Welcome. Have you started a journal? That's one way to get some help and feedback. It is also a wonderful way of becoming part of the LBF community and provides some accountability, too.

I hope you don't mind my asking why you are only seeking nutritional support. Diet and your workout/cardio go hand-in-hand in terms of crafting a competition-worthy physique.

Again, welcome:)

15. LoveToWorkout

LoveToWorkout Member

I had to remark on this... This is soooooooo true. I've been competing for 3 years and this is the first year I had someone do my workout plan too. It made a huge difference in my overall physique. Of course it has to be the right trainer and I'd totally trust Erik since I've been a client and seen his transformations. Good luck in your upcoming competition.

16. Man, coming off a contest diet is hard. :huh: You just feel like eating everything. Ever since I started increasing my calories slowly I've been starving!! Is that normal?

17. Spressogirl

Spressogirl New Member

well, i have 4 ladies that have won 1st place in figure and bodybuilding who are helping me with my training/workouts for now. i can only afford to pay erik for the diet, and that is even going over my budget. if i could, i would absolutely LOVE him to do all of my diet and training. i would completely trust him to put me where i need to be. the diet is where i need accountability. i need someone to tell me what to eat each day...

->i just started a journal yesterday :)

18. nwood

nwood New Member

The rent a body syndrome!

For some strange reason people think that they can diet for 16 weeks which is very taxing on the system and then resume "normal food" eating.....there is nothing normal about being a competitor ...it is a lifestyle :)
    I have seen more girls drop a ridiculous amount of weight for show prep than eat all kinds of crap after without any self control....30 + pounds a few weeks later and they are still doing all that cardio etc....I wish more people left their comfort zones and took guidance from a trainer/coach who has their best interest at heart and knew how to guide a trainer. I am very grateful for being introduced to Erik :clap: who seems to have very different philosophies than most "old" school trainers...I can't wait to see what is in store :D
    Nat

19. nwood

nwood New Member

I could not imagine not having both nutrition and workouts being given from the same person ...OH MY!!! Every workout and meal is planned in accordance to each other ( I am speaking from a competitors point of view) I hope it all works/ed out for you

20. MoLowe

MoLowe New Member

I'm new to the forum after completing my first competition in October and am anxious to begin working with Erik within the next two weeks.

I, too, had read and been warned about the rebound effect but naively thought I could maintain a semblance of control after competing. Frankly, I've done okay, gaining 10 pounds back and finally, reigned my body fat back in from a high of 20% at Thanksgiving to 17% now. But for the first month and a half, up until Thanksgiving, I struggled until I changed my mindset. It was not more cardio and severe restriction that helped me out post competition, it was actually listening to my body (go figure!). I still have a ways to go and will be also working with an endocrinologist to ensure I am maximizing my body's ability for long term health, but what I think helped most was the mindfulness regarding post competition.

A friend who competes provided an explanation that really helped me visualize and accept the changes my body needed to make to be more healthy post competition. Using the body's homeostasis point as a pendulum, he stated that dieting that hard would create a significant upswing, or imbalance, on that pendulum. Thus, when coming off the diet it wouldn't simply go back to the normal state it was at (somewhere in the middle), it would it would swing the opposite direction until it was at a surplus, THEN it would return to a normal, centered state.

This really helped my mental state to recognize and adjust to my body's desire to find some normalcy. It also helped with the food aspect and wanting to eat everything in site. I determined that, even though it was post contest, and I COULD eat much more, to truly take care of my body, I needed to still fuel it properly. The difference being the body needed fueling for recovery, not preparation.