Prep-friendly Lemon-Blueberry Oat&Egg White Muffins

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Anca, Jun 5, 2008.

1. toese

toese Lovin running in 2 day relays

Can you send some to me??

2. Laura

Laura Member

I made these for tomorrow's breakfast.

I can't wait to try them!

3. Laura

Laura Member

These were delicious!

I made muffins. I added more oats. So good. These will bece a staple for me!

4. Anca

Anca Well-Known Member

You can adjust the amount of oats, eggs/egg whites or fruit as you wish to fit your diet plan. The muffins always come out well- simply increase/decrease baking time by a few minutes if the batter is runnier/thicker. ;)

5. Scarl3tbutt3rfly

Scarl3tbutt3rfly Motivated and ready!!

These look awesome! Definitely trying this, as I sometimes really need a convenient food. Did anyone try with ground oats and which worked better?

6. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

cathies recipe uses ground oats.. Im not sure if its better but how she likes it.

Cathie??..................

7. Anca

Anca Well-Known Member

I've tried the recipe with ground oats; the batter comes out even runnier and the muffins come out smaller although the texture is smoother. Personally I like the thicker texture and bigger volume when using unground oats.

8. Jobine

Jobine Member

Do you soak the oats in the egg-whites for a bit to first to soften or just put them in and mix them up dry?

9. Patricia

Patricia Well-Known Member

I make these all the time (although, Anca's pumpkin ones taste way better than mine :bowdown:) -- I just toss everything together as is.

10. Anca

Anca Well-Known Member

:hug:

No need to soak the oats. Well, unless you're using steel cut oats maybe. I always use old fashioned oats for muffin loaves.

11. Inatic

Bump with pumpkin note, see below

QUOTE=Anca;1012712]Yep, exact recipe as originally posted- except I bake them a little longer now (maybe 35-40 min depending how "wet" they're looking in the middle). ;)

I used 50 g banana to replace the berries for some of the muffin loaves and 100 g pumpkin puree to make the pumpkin ones Patricia liked.[/QUOTE]

12. Jobine

Jobine Member

I can't find any mini-loaf pans that are big enough to make this :( They're all just a tad too small.

13. Inatic

are you over flowing your pan?

I have ceramic ones from places like michaels that are a tad bigger.

14. Jobine

Jobine Member

Thanks a ton, I never even thought of looking at Michaels...does the cooking time change when using ceramic?

15. Marathon Girl

Marathon Girl Member

I cannot wait to try these. I am in love with my egg white/oat pancake right now but this would be so handy on Mondays when I am so busy. Also hubby goes to work at 5am and he just started his plan. This would be a lifesaver for him. I will just have to make a batch with his macro's and a batch with mine. Thinking it might be easiest to make each in a big loaf pan then weigh it and divide it in three's. I don't have the mini loafs either but can look on-line. We don't have a ton of shopping options here in Juneau.

Thanks Anca, cannot wait til I am allowed to try the pumpkin ones. Is pumpkin considered a fruit on plan?? If so then maybe I can try them soon. I do get fruit and I could sub it out if the boss lets me sub next week. I am such a newbie, sorry if this question is so elementary. I just have no clue yet. :)

16. hoopinjenn

hoopinjenn The Penis Genius

oh this is awesome, it's exactly perfect for my meal #1 altough I would need to add more fruit which I can eat on the side :)

17. baybygirl31

baybygirl31 Member

These muffins have become my mid-week breakfast staple. I use 3 regular muffin pans, instead of the minis. I just bought the disposible pans from the store, and will reuse them until they crack. 3 uses so far!

I've made lemon/mixed-berry, lemon/strawberry, pumpkin, and a pineapple coconut. On days when I get a full serving of fruit, I heat up my extra 1/2 serving and pour it over the top to make it extra fruity. Yum!!

18. sjwonder

sjwonder Member

Wow, these look great and I can have one more option !

Can I use Stevia instead of Splenda and if so, should I replace Splenda with same amounts of Stevia ?

Thanks,
    Sumaya
    (LBC Gal In Waiting)